We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fake car charges etc

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
fake car charges etc

Hi, just wanted to know if anyone else has had these fake toll charges form dollar ec, my hubbys mate has just had one applied to his card a month after he came back from florida, also he has had card fraud also. someone has been buying body building products, lately, its getting shocking all thses scams we hear about, im thinking of what we can do to prevent such going on next year when we go.

uk
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fake car charges etc

after we get back I might report my card as lost, thenhopefuly no more charges can be applied.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Treasure Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fake car charges etc

That,s why you should never give your card to swipe, always pay cash and ask for a receipt and the persons name written on it who served you...

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fake car charges etc

WHAT we had thought of doing was to take a prepid credit card and only have the exact amonut we need as deposit for the car hire, then that we they can only take what is on the card and nothing else. i cant see how so many people are getting these tole fines, as we all have to pay as ou go through and who would risk a 70 dollar fine for a few dollars.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fake car charges etc

bump

uk
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fake car charges etc

friends of ours tried to use fairfx but they car company would not take it. so they then tried to pay with cash and they wanted 500 upfront. Do you know any other prepaid cards that they (we are using dollar through virgin) that car companies will take

Bedfordshire England
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fake car charges etc

I had a fake toll charge last year for a toll booth in Miami when I was in Orlando. I was able to prove that I was in Orlando that day because I had a credit card receipt from Universal for the day. I also got the toll company to confirm that there was no toll fine for the car I had at that booth on that day. Dollar had to give me my money back after that proof - no "sorry we got it wrong", just the money back. It is always worth keeping bills and till receipts to prove where you are on your holidays just in case.

7. Re: fake car charges etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2010, 05:18