We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpack or fanny pack - which works best?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Backpack or fanny pack - which works best?

I am taking my entire family on this Disney trip, so there will be ten of us. I just don't think the fanny pack I usually carry will be large enough. How do you hop on the rides if you have a backpack? I'm even worried about how to bring my camera since it's rather large.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpack or fanny pack - which works best?

I know "ALOT" of people make fun of the old fanny packs...but you know what...when you want something it is right there ! We see so many people carry a purse ...slung over their shoulder and so apt to forget it on a ride of leave it lay while you are looking at something in a store or ating !!

Have everyone in you party have one...they can carry "their own " ticket, sun block, money, phone, small camera...it is all zipped in and items will not get lost.

If you have bigger items have one person responsible for a backpack...for carry larger items...or rent a locker

We swear by the fanny- pack :)

Disneychicks

winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpack or fanny pack - which works best?

We do not use "fanny packs" as they are somewhat ugly. We have a large bag with straps that we purchased on our first trip to Orlando covered with Mickey & Minnie. Ever since then we always bring our "mickey bag" to Orlando, it is a family tradition and has seen a lot of miles.

It is no problem to loop the straps over your shoulder for use on rides etc. and is big enough to carry water, snacks, camera, and extra jacket.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpack or fanny pack - which works best?

Over my 16 years of family Disney World trips I've tried all types of day travel type bags. I've used several different fanny packs and backpacks, both have their drawbacks. My favorite daily travel type pack in which I'm able to carry my camera, some snacks, first aid items, travel brochures; etc. etc. even attach my water bottle to, is a cross body bag. Here's one similar to what I have: ebags.com/derek_alexander_leather/…

It is easy to carry; and most rides/attractions I just keep it across my body and slide the bag to fit between my legs; no problem. I carry this bag on all trips now, from Disney World to hiking the Great Wall in China. It's the perfect day travel pack for me.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpack or fanny pack - which works best?

i don't know (we put our stuff in the stroller), but want to reassure you that taking bags on rides at Disney is not at all problematic. SeaWorld and Universal is a different story - you'll have to use a locker for the big rides.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,041 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Backpack or fanny pack - which works best?

I wear a bumbag ( as we call them) round my waist for my money, camera,and small items. I carry a small backpack type bag for my small water bottle ( refill at the fountains), video camera, battery fan, and suncream.

We take another bag with jumpers/ sweatshirts in for the evening, that we put into a locker for the day, at the park entrance.

Small bags/ rucksacks are not a problem on the rides, even on coasters. Just put it by your feet and put your foot through the straps. I have not had a problem wearing my bumbag, as I push it round to my side if I have a harness.

Some rides in Universal / IOA have lockers by the rides, and you have to put bags in these. Same in SeaWorld for Kraken and Atlantis.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
626 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Backpack or fanny pack - which works best?

Ok, I know the fannypacks/bumbags are not the hottest most hip thing....but the only guy I worry about "attracting" is Mickey...and he has never seemed to mind! LOL

Seriously though...they are so handy, and I never worry about if I left something behind anywhere...I can fit, mini lotion, lip balm, cash, tickets, I.D., cell phone, gum, mini hand gel, sunglasses and a digital camera in mine...with room to spare! No back or neck aches, or worrying about leaving it somewhere.

Really it is a personal choice. Just depends...

DC 7

uk
Level Contributor
344 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Backpack or fanny pack - which works best?

I had a backpack which was very usefull for ponchos, water bottles and snacks and putting purchases in. I also had a small shoulder bag for the money, camera and tickets. The only drawback for me was the fact the bag was very heavy with the water bottles in them, but it worked for us. I did in fact take a bum bag with me but the kids fell about laughing when i had it on and i couldnt even walk comfy in it as my bump made it tight across my waist, lol

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Backpack or fanny pack - which works best?

travelmn

The last time we went I took both! I have my fanny pack for my money, camera, tissues, and little things, but my back pack (which is small), has snacks, bottled water and other little bits in! there are five of us so it really saves money! when we go at Xmas we will take a normal size back pack, with a change of clothes as we will be cold after the water rides! We are lucky in a way as our eldest DS doesnt like rollercoasters, so he gets to hold the bags.

You can either put them in a locker or just leave them the other side of the ride, ours have always been safe, I have even been able to wear mine on the ride!!

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
531 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Backpack or fanny pack - which works best?

A medium sized shoulder bag so you don't have to take it off your shoulder and it's still small enough to sit it next to you on the seat or in front of you on the floor.

It's the only kind of bag I do.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Backpack or fanny pack - which works best?

We normally carry one back pack between us with padded shoulder straps and air ventilation (so back doesn't get sweaty) with water, snacks, ponchos etc. But after reading this thread may try a fanny pack and try and cope with less things.

We take our back pack on all disney rides, as it's not very big, but have to put in ride lockers at other parks.