We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you booked with Virgin Holidays call them to confirm

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
If you booked with Virgin Holidays call them to confirm

We booked a fly drive to Orlando (19/12/09 - 04/01/09) with Virgin Holidays online on the 4th of January 2009 and paid the deposit requested.

Shortly afterwards we received written confirmation of the booking and happily sat back and waited for our holiday to begin. Of course we trawled the web looking for a nice villa/hire car in the following weeks and have booked and paid in full for this.

A few months ago we received a reminder of the balance to be paid and amount due which we faithfully paid 2 weeks ago on time (before time actually just to make sure it got their OK).

Last night we received an e-mail asking us to call them urgently as they had information about our reservation. Called but call centre was closed. My OH rang this morning only to receive the worst news possible, while they had issued all the correct documentation to us and we had paid all monies promptly they had FORGOTTEN to book our flights with Virgin Atlantic!!!!!!!!!!!

We had booked economy on way out and upper class on way back as we had a 4 hour drive back to Scotland and wanted some shut-eye on the flight. They offered us as an alternative premium economy on way out but only had economy seats on return leg a day later which was of no use as villa/car hire was booked to the 4th and we wanted a good rest on the way back.

OH naturally went off on one and told the girl to phone someone else who had booked after us and tell them they couldn't have their seat. The girl said she couldn't do that to which my other half asked why not as you have just done it to me. Might seem a bit selfish by my OH but she was in shock!! My OH is currently waiting on a call back with their resolution but not holding her breath fortunately.

I suppose the reason for my post is twofold, firstly would like advice from any barrack room lawyers out there regarding where we stand in respect to getting our actual flights and secondly if you have booked online with Virgin Holidays give them a call to confirm the flights etc have actually been booked and don't accept their written confirmation as gospel.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you booked with Virgin Holidays call them to confirm

This is terrible

I hope You get it sorted out, I think this is all Virgin to blame and I would have written to R B himself with copy of Your documents and tell him that this is not just good enough.

I think they have to make up for You here and give You 1.class service both ways .

Mutter

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,020 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you booked with Virgin Holidays call them to confirm

We had a bad experience with Virgin on one trip. I booked a year ahead, early flight out, late flight home. Got written confirmation of our holiday ( Disney hotel) and the flight times.

Later added on our tickets and excursions, and got another invoice. Suddenly noticed we were now on the earlier flight home. Rang Virgin- said we had always been on the early flight. I say no- I am looking at the original invoice with late flight time.

Then she says- the flights have been swopped over (?)

Everyone booked on late flight will now go early, and visa versa.

OK I says, so my friend booked on early flight is now going late ?

Silence. Lying toad !!!!

Got passed from pillar to post, told couldn't change coz late flight booked up.YES WE BOOKED IT A YEAR AGO !!!!!

Never got it sorted, had to leave early. Missed our last day of Disney, as not enough time really to go to parks and get back for the coach, so just stayed by the hotel pool.

Made me very angry. I reckon they wanted to book in a large group, and moved us to make room.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you booked with Virgin Holidays call them to confirm

The same thing happened to us a couple of years ago, only we were informed the flight from Manchester was full and we were not on it, 4 days before the flight and we actually had the tickets?? Still can't work out how this happened, as we had booked our holiday with Virgin Holidays over a year in advance and paid everything on time. I was the same as your OH and tried to insist they take another family off the plane who booked later than us, but they wouldn't have it. Not selfish, just fair.

At least the customer services person at Virgin Atlantic was very nice and helpful, and even rang our travel agaent and Virgin holidays on my behalf to try and work out what had happened, unfortunately she could only confirm that we had never even been booked on the Manchester flight, even though we had received confirmations from all parties.

We still flew on the correct days (it was a package including Port Orleans and so they would have had to pay for extra days otherwise) but we had to fly from Manchester to Gatwick then change plane to continue to Orlando. To add insult to injury all our luggage was lost on the way home and we had to wait several days for it.

After several letters of complaint we only ever received an apology and no recompense, because they got us to where we wanted to go. I hope you do better than us. It has made me angry again just writing about it.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you booked with Virgin Holidays call them to confirm

I would have told them that If they don´t sort this out now (give them a couple of hours ) I would go to the newpapers about their service´s .

Mutter

Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you booked with Virgin Holidays call them to confirm

Thanks for the replies.

Mutter38, it would be great if they could give us 1st class travel both ways but I don't think they will. I've heard Mr Branson isn't too hot on customer service if things go wrong.

Figgygirl/Judith1964, sorry to hear about your experiences. I had a little hope that this would be resolved to our satisfaction but after reading your posts I'm not so sure. It is unbelievable that a company the size of Virgin can forget to book flights. That is all they do!!

I've had a look at their T&C's and I think they will be liable but apart from the paltry compensation they offer (£25 pp) I can’t see any information regarding what they will do about it.

I will post when it gets resolved one way or the other. I can also say Virgin have lost another customer, once bitten twice shy.

Regards

Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you booked with Virgin Holidays call them to confirm

Mutter38,

It's been 4 hours since my OH came off the phone from Virgin and had calmed down enough to phone me. Still no call back but she gave them until the close of business today to resolve and call her back.

I feel a call to the BBC's Watchdog (consumers rights TV programme) coming on.

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,020 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you booked with Virgin Holidays call them to confirm

That's a good idea. I wrote a letter of complaint, but never got a reply. Not even £25.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you booked with Virgin Holidays call them to confirm

Hi Robbie

Do that and all the other papers too, and I would tell them that is what You are going to do, or a full refund plus exctra so You could book another flights with what that would cost You now, but You would still tell newsparpers about it, what if You had been away and hadn´t read You mails and tropped up at the airport how would they solve it then ?

Mutter

uk
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you booked with Virgin Holidays call them to confirm

you have me worried I am booked on the same flights back as you and we also booked in jan last year. Whats more I know they have the wrong email for us but every time I have told them they want money to change it (calling it a change of details- even though they got it wrong in the firt place!) Did you get a good deal, because every time I use them its because I have found a great deal (usualy an error in their system and every holiday we get bumped about diff days etc) This time I got all 4 of us 2 adults and 2 teens along with the four 5 park flex tickets, upgraded car/ insurance and the limo character diner excursion for £2600 for 22nd dec- 4 jan . Now I am just waiting for the phone call. Did you ever try and book your seats/meals with virgin atlantic for this holiday, if you managed, I do not think that they are telling you the full story. It may be worth a look on virgin atlantic to see if you do! have seats. I am going to check I am still on the plane right now. Good luck

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you booked with Virgin Holidays call them to confirm

Robbie

I have my fingers crossed that things work out for you!