We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is it getting Mosquitos in Florida area ??

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How bad is it getting Mosquitos in Florida area ??

Four of us are going to Orlando and will be travelling down to Miami and Key West by a car for two and half weeks so we be going where all the tourist go, theme parks, Disney, shopping etc etc.

Will there be any mosquitos ?? We are going in July (due to a child leaving school for summer holiday)

I'm a bit wary cos I got bitten really badly and my legs got swollen quite bad and was very itchy - so you can imagine it was nightmare! Luckily it hasn’t ruined my holiday in a lovely gorgeous wee place in south of France. Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad is it getting Mosquitos in Florida area ??

In July mosquitos would be the least of your worries unless you go into forested areas. Be prepared though for the brutal heat and humidity. If there are going to be any mosquitos they are usually out just when it is getting dark but in areas where there is not a lot of vegetation around it shouldn't be a problem.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad is it getting Mosquitos in Florida area ??

We went in July/August this year and didn't get bitten at all. I am usually fairly susceptible, and so there can't be many about.

Edited: 09 December 2009, 16:25
Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad is it getting Mosquitos in Florida area ??

Never had a problem with mosquitoes in Orlando and around the disney/universal parks. However, last year we spent a week on the gulf coast and got several bites beween us, even during the day.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad is it getting Mosquitos in Florida area ??

Disney is usually not that bad from what I remember. If you get near the water, they can get brutal though, especially in the summer months.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
3,946 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad is it getting Mosquitos in Florida area ??

You should generally be fine at the parks and around town. I’m sure they do all they can to prevent mosquitoes and probably spray if they start seeing more than a few. Going out on the road is a whole other story. They can get pretty thick on the Florida Turnpike, as you can tell from your bumper when you’ve gotten to your destination (although I’ve never seen any in the service areas). I’ll often run the car through the car wash to keep the paint from getting pitted when I arrive down South. You might also consider bringing a can of mosquito repellent in case you break down or something and you get swarmed.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad is it getting Mosquitos in Florida area ??

NO--those are probably love bugs on your car and swarming the service centers. They do not bite or sting, but do a number on the paint on your car. Keep a can of spray handy, and use it if you notice mossies. If you will be on the beaches some have no-see-ums. Tiny bugs that bite and leave red marks or even welts. Avon skin so soft and/or baby oil on your feet and legs generally stop them. The mossies are worst at dusk and dawn, and any time you are around stagnent or still water.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
3,946 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad is it getting Mosquitos in Florida area ??

No, I'm not talking about Love Bugs, although they're a problem too when they're swarming.

Skin So Soft has been proven to not repel bugs. Only stuff with DEET, or maybe Citronella.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How bad is it getting Mosquitos in Florida area ??

The idea with no-see-ums is to drown them in the oil. True, skin so soft, etc. does not work at all on mossies.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How bad is it getting Mosquitos in Florida area ??

Miami and Key West will be fine in July. It's not a terribly good time to visit Everglades National Park or other natural areas.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
12,643 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How bad is it getting Mosquitos in Florida area ??

I have had mosquito bites at varying times of the year both in Orlando and in the Keys. Got bits in the Keys in May and bites in Orlando this October!