We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit?

Hi all,

Just wanted to check with you experts and the frequent visitors for the best time (month) to visit Orlando for the theme parks(DW, Universal and Sea world) . I'm looking for sometime that would be very economical in terms of room rates and also less crowded. I was earlier thinking of visiting during Christmas 2010 but was worried about it being too crowded and the rates too high. At the same time I very much want to get a feel of the christmas magic at disney.

BTW this would be my first visit to DW. Have been to DisneyLand, Universal and Sea World in CA a couple of years back. I'd be traveling with my husband and 2 kids under 5.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit?

Greetings from Orlando!

I would suggest between late January and February. The weather is nice and cool, there usually isn't much rain that time of year and crowds are way down.

Usually hotels offer nice discount when traveling within this time frame too.

Hope this helps!

England
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit?

Yeah would totally agree with January and i have always thought May is a great time to go. The crowds are low and the weather is also very nice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit?

I like September and October, low crowds, it was was very quiet at that time this year, and still lovely and hot, although not as hot as July and August, and nowhere near as busy. I find the winter months too chilly, I go to Florida to get some heat living in a cold country!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit?

We just got back on Saturday and the rates were very cheap for us. We stayed on property at Universal for $129 per night. The Doubletree had rooms at $79 per night.

You are right that Christmas is a magical time and everything was decorated and crowds were still low. Not much was over 20 minutes wait time except for the biggest attractions and we got to the parks early and used FastPass in the order recommended by some folks here. The weather was mostly good but some out-of-the-ordinary cool, rainy days on Thursday and Friday.

We would like to go back, but will consider October or maybe early Novermber next time to get the heat. We like it warmer.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,611 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit?

I agree with Visit that January is a good time to go for low crowds. But, I find the weather that time of year (although dry ) isn't reliably warm- I don't mean hot.

I think the best time is April (after easter) thru to mid May (before Memorial Day) as the weather is warm and crowds aren't too bad.

But you mentionned xmas fun and decorations as being a draw. So I would suggest after thankgiving- early december. Decorations up, all the fun, but low crowds and weather warmer than Jan.

A caveat, this year there was a free dining promotion in December (not usually offered then) so parks were more crowded than usual and table service restaurants across Disney were more booked up than normal.

I expect these extra discounts to dry up with an improvement in the US economy.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit?

We went last year the last week of feb. into the 1st of March something like the 28th- 7th. The weather was cool, cold at night.It did warm up in the afternoons. 1 day it was really warm and we hit the waterpark. since the water is heated it was a great day. However that was the only day that week we could have went.

The crowds were nonexistent. We rode splash mountain withot getting off b/c there was no one waiting. Waited about 15 min for EE. With fastpasses for the big ones that was our only wait. We did see some wait times during the afternnoon. But we had got their early rode them and then got fastpasses for waiting. My hubby walked onto RnR. We did have seating for Fantasmic,but we saw people squeezing in at the last minute.

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit?

We went the second week of November and had a wonderful time! The parks were decorated for Christmas and we were also able to see Osbourne Lights at Hollywood Studios. Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party begain the week we were there, also. The weather varied. We were in shorts for the first part of the week, and then a cold front came in and we wore jeans and long shirts the last few days. The crowds were low, and we got a great deal on our condo (off site). I know that you will have an awesome time with your little ones!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit?

IMO late October through to end November (avoiding Thanksgiving) is best time. Crowds are low, prices are good, weather is good and the Christmas lights start so get the Christmas feel without the crowds.

London, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit?

Wow! Thanks for all that wonderful suggestions. As most of you say, I too wouldnt want to be there when it is cool/cold. As it is, we would have quite some "luggage" with 2 kids! Dont want to add our jackets to it. Oct-Nov looks good. Gives me sufficient time to plan as well. Will come back with more questions soon!

malta
Level Contributor
115 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit?

I agree with those voting for November, I was there last month. We never waited in line for the rides. The parks where all decorated for christmas, Mickey's Very merry christmas parade. This year christmas started very early for me.