We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 questions -- calling all experts!!! :-)

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
734 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
2 questions -- calling all experts!!! :-)

I'm always hearing about these fantastic booking tricks for Disney World. Does anyone know of some great ways to save money on what seems to be a very expensive vacation in the making?

Also -- We are traveling with a toddler. I know the rooms at the moderate and budget hotels within the park are fairly small, which may be a problem for us. Is it REALLY much more convenient to stay within the park limits? Or is it worth it to stay off site in a roomier place? What are your recommendations?

pa
Level Contributor
53,725 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 questions -- calling all experts!!! :-)

For us, it's all about being at Disney so we quite enjoy all the Disney Resorts and the Perks you only get by staying at a Disney Resort. We aren't interested in a Villa or House or Condo, we can stay in one of those anywhere. You don't get the Disney Magic anywhere else :) We also enjoy the Free Transportation to and from the Airport and to and from all the Parks ( we aren't fans of driving or renting a car while on holiday )

I never pay full price for a Disney Holiday, I make sure I go when there is a good deal

Right now there are two nice deals

1) room discount for stays January - February

2) Free Gift Card for at least a 5 night package stay January - June

Both deals can be viewed at

www.wdwinfo.com

or

www.mousesavers.com

For a history of Disney Discounts

mousesavers.com/historicalwdwdiscounts.html

For more info and photos of all the Disney Resorts

wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/Resorts/resortmain1.htm

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 questions -- calling all experts!!! :-)

Moderate rooms aren't that small, bigger than value ones anyway. Have a look at Port Orleans, and Caribbean Beach Resort.

orlando
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 questions -- calling all experts!!! :-)

I like to travel in style yet search for the best possible deal while doing so! Sortof a champagne taste on a beer budget? :P Anyway, I am not an official TA Orlando expert, but I do live close to Disney World (I can see their fireworks from my home :D).

My opinion is that if you can afford to splurge on staying within the park, do so. If they do indeed pick you up and drop you off at the airport, that is a huge savings in itself. I know from my house, it is over $50 for a cab ride one way to the airport. Also, if you rent a car, it is going to cost $14/day for parking at the parks. I do know that various other resorts off property to offer free shuttles to Disney, it is just a matter of finding out which ones (I think Quality Inn is one of them). These places are not going to be nearly as nice as Disney, but if you are just looking for a place to sleep and would rather spend your money on your actual vacation rather than your lodging, they will do.

That gift card that partypa mentioned looks like a nice deal, here are the details of the sale:

$750 Disney Gift Card FREE when you buy a 5-night/6-day package at Disney Resort Hotels!

I just saw this advertised on TV - It looks like it is only for Walt Disney World in Florida. Disneyland Hotels have a 2 night free promotion - Disneyland details here [disneylandnews.com]

Get up to a $750 Disney Gift Card FREE when you buy a 5-night/6-day non-discounted Magic Your Way package at select Disney Resort Hotels!

Disney World link for details [go.com]

Eat, play and shop with the Disney Gift Card. Use the card to cover vacation expenses: dining at your choice of Walt Disney World® restaurants, special event tickets, sports, recreation, tours and more—all this in addition to shopping! With your gift card in hand, the world is yours!

Fine Print: The number of rooms allocated for these packages is limited. Tickets are for one theme park per day and must be used within 14 days of first use. See Important Details.

For best availability, book now. Rooms fill up fast! Book through March 27, 2010. Book your stay online now, or call (407) 939-7939 or your Travel Agent today and ask for booking code QGX. More Details [go.com]

$750: Select Disney Deluxe Resorts or Disney Deluxe Villa Resorts

A $750 Disney Gift Card is yours when you purchase a 5 night/6-day non-discounted Magic Your Way room and ticket package at select Disney Deluxe Resorts or Disney Deluxe Villa Resorts.

Valid for arrivals on 1/3-1/11/10, 1/19-3/27/10 and 4/11-6/3/10.

$500: Select Disney Moderate Resorts

A $500 Disney Gift Card is yours when you purchase a 5 night/6-day non-discounted Magic Your Way room and ticket package at select Disney Moderate Resorts.

Valid for arrivals on 1/3/10, 1/10-1/12/10, 1/18-3/27/10 and 4/11-6/3/10.

$300: Select Disney Value Resorts

A $300 Disney Gift Card is yours when you purchase a 5 night/6-day non-discounted Magic Your Way room and ticket package at select Disney Value Resorts.

Valid for arrivals on 1/3/10, 1/10-1/12/10, 1/18-2/9/10, 2/15-3/27/10 and 4/11-6/3/10.

Of those dates, I would personally choose April or early May, because of the weather. Look at the dates you want to travel, changing travel plans to lower seasonal dates might save you some money. Lastly, I have read that January is a good month for finding good travel deals for later in the year.

In any event, have fun planning and let us know which you choose!

Good Luck and Safe Travels :)

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
734 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 questions -- calling all experts!!! :-)

Wow everyone!! That is all REALLY great information. Thanks for exceeding my expectations. I haven't logged on to TA in awhile, and now I remember what a great community it is.

I am leaning towards staying at one of the moderate resorts on property. Mousesavers recommends the Coronado or the Port Orleans Riverside. That gift card deal is QUITE a deal!

I did also find a great looking place about a mile outside the Epcot entrance. It's called World Quest Resort. They say that they offer shuttle service, but they don't specify how often the shuttle runs throughout the day. Having a toddler who tends to be a light sleeper -- the fact that this place offers two bedroom options, makes it appealing to us, but that's the only big draw. I am thinking that if we stay at a resort on property though, he may be so wiped out at the end of the day, that it won't really matter. ;-)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,932 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 questions -- calling all experts!!! :-)

We used to stay offsite in a suite and now can not imagine going to Disney parks and not staying onsite. We have always stayed at a moderate and have always enjoyed them. I would pick the theme that suits you best. Coronado does have the bigger beds (queen size) which would be easier to put pillows on the side of your toddler sleeping in the bed. Coronado's pool is also the best according to my kids(but we have not stayed at Caribbean beach since the pool remodel). If you stay at either Port Orleans resort your toddler can use both resort pools and can rate which pool slide is better. Caribbean beach has a zero entry pool and a great play area. You really can not go wrong.

Toledo
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 questions -- calling all experts!!! :-)

If your focus is Disney, stay onsite. If your focus is Orlando, stay at a resort. We have always stayed in a 2 bedroom Marriott resort and we would not have done it any other way especially when my kids were little. The flexibility with naps, kitchen, and washer/dryer are unmatched.

Alabama
Level Contributor
703 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 questions -- calling all experts!!! :-)

I stayed at WorldQuest this fall, and we loved our 3 bedroom condo. It was super close to the parks. HOWEVER, we rented a car. I did not notice the shuttle schedule, but I would not recommend relying on a shuttle with a toddler in the group. Stay on site or rent a car. Either way, you will have a wonderful time!!!!

8. Re: 2 questions -- calling all experts!!! :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2010, 05:19