We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T-REX CAfe in Downtown Disney

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
734 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
T-REX CAfe in Downtown Disney

Has anyone been to the T-REX Cafe in Downtown Disney? If so, what were your thoughts on it? Should we go there or Rainforest Cafe?

Sidcup
Level Contributor
591 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: T-REX CAfe in Downtown Disney

Hey!

Was meant to do T-Rex last year but didn't go. I've heard nothing but good things about the place and it's unique, whereas Rainforest seems to be everywhere (although this also has raving reviews!)

I know it isn't much help!

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Playa de las Americas
Level Contributor
770 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: T-REX CAfe in Downtown Disney

We loved it and are really looking forward to going back when we return in a few weeks!!

Excellent food and service. Loved the decor and the shows - every 20 mins or so the lights dim and all of the dinosours come to life!!

Highly recommend it and you will need to book.

Kelly

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T-REX CAfe in Downtown Disney

We went in there a few weeks back to visit the build a dino..we were planning to book a meal for new years eve or day but shortly after we entered the lights dimmed and the dinos started moving and roaring...it was very load and 2 of boys jumped and covered their ears..they got so upset by the noise we decided it was not an ideal eating place for us. im not saying you will find this but its something to keep in mind.

It looked good though.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
734 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: T-REX CAfe in Downtown Disney

My two year old loved dinosaurs, but I am a little worried that this may scare him. We'll have to think about it. I'd rather go here than Rain Forest, but I don't want a screaming toddler on my hands. ;-)

WARWICKSHIRE
Level Contributor
785 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: T-REX CAfe in Downtown Disney

We are going to try it this August...even though it's not on the free DDP, we're going to push the boat out and actually pay for a meal lol. My friend went in Oct with her two boys and said they loved it. Also my DD is obsessed with Build-a Bear and I predict my DS will be wanting a few things in the build-dino! My friend said lunch was much quiter than dinner there crowd wise.

Rochester
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: T-REX CAfe in Downtown Disney

We went to T-Rex last February and loved it. We were a party of 7 adults and 2 12 year old boys. Food is pretty much what you can get anywhere but the atmosphere was fun. It was loud at times, however. There are several differently themed rooms so some may be quieter than others. I would recommend making a reservation if you decide to go. Even with reservations, we waited about 25 minutes before being seated.

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: T-REX CAfe in Downtown Disney

dollarsgirl...if your worried about it do what we did...take a trip in there beforehand and see if he is frightened by the noise/ movement if he is fine then go.

\we went to the rainforest cafe on previous visits and were seated below an elephant that kept moving..i swear my youngest thought it was real.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
542 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: T-REX CAfe in Downtown Disney

Hi dollarsgirl, That is a good suggestion about having a look first and seeing if your little one will like it.

Have not been to TRex, hoping to go next month.

Rainforest cafe is pretty dark and depending where you are seated things will move around you. We have had good food, although I got a lousy steak last time, they did take alittle off the bill.

Have just had a look at picks on utube, Trex looks amazing, I would check it out for sure.

It has been suggested to book for TRex, is it not the same as rainforest cafe where you put your name down and wait for a table?

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: T-REX CAfe in Downtown Disney

T-Rex Cafe is very very similar to Rainforest Cafe. They are both owned and operated by Landry Restaurants.

Basically, they're the same restaurant just with different themes. Very similar (but not identical) food menus, just with different adjectives to describe the food, of course. identical quality of food and service. Same general prices. Same thing that every 15-20 minutes there's a "show" for a few minutes when the lighting changes and sound effects occur and the animals "come alive."

It would be very unwise to simply walk up to T-Rex Cafe and put your name on a list ... I strongly advise that you made an advance reservation (there is no charge for doing so, and no penalty if you're a no-show).

The Build-A-Dino Workshop (in the adjacent gift shop) was an absolute favorite of my kids, who were 8 and 6 when we were there last February.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: T-REX CAfe in Downtown Disney

We were at the T-Rex in March. While the decor was really neat, the noise level was nearly unbearable. In addition, the food was mediocre at best. Personally, my family and I prefer the Rainforest Cafe. Both are expensive but at least that the RFC we got a decent meal and it wasn't as noisy so we could enjoy it more.