We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways

scotland
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
British Airways

We're ready to book our flights for july/august , we usually fly with delta from edi but they have changed their route ( 2 stops , not ideal with 2 kids ) so won't be flying with them, I've found a good price with BA ( edi-gtw-mco ) never flown with BA and I know that you all have your favourite airline to get you to disney/universal, so all opinions will be appreciated, also looking at continental ( edi-newark-mco)

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways

That too is two stops , so why does the route matter.

I would have been more inclined to have used Continantal as when you land at this side of the pond home will be lot nearer

Edited: 06 January 2010, 19:37
Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
11,367 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways

Hello,

I don't have a clue,but wanted to say that is the cutest doggie ever!!

Keith, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways

Hi

Where about r u?? We are going in October and are flying Aberdeen to Gatwick then onto Orlando all through Virgin at a very good price, the flights from Aberdeen are with flybe. Phoned Virgin direct and they sorted out the connecting flights..... much cheaper than we could have done indepently!!!!

scotland
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways

Sorry meant to put 3 stops with delta ( edi-paris-atlanta-mco ) must have brain freeze, not long back from taking my cute dog for his evening walk,

Bouncer we prefer to fly from edi as it is only 20-30 mins from us.

Keith, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways

Thats very handy for u, we are about 4 hours away so makes sense to go from Aberdeen.

My brother is also going from Edinburgh - Gatwick - Orlando with Ba in October i think - sounds very straight forward and stressless............... :)

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways

Unless I too have Brain freeze that route is only 2 stops. one in Paris, on in Atlanta.

I would still go for the Continental. once you have made the connecting flight at Newark Newark you are only 30 mins from home next time you get of the aircraft

Also Continental IMO are the best One stoppers, including BA.

Cambridgeshire, UK
Level Contributor
340 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways

I have flown BA and Virgin to the US and would say they are pretty much the same, maybe Virgin had the edge on it - but one thing I would say is that I personally would avoid BA at the present time, I feel that the company is just too unstable with the threat of strikes still in the air and I just wouldn't risk it personally.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,955 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways

I have flown both Ba and VA mutiple times, and strike action not withstanding I think BA has the edge at this time. Sometimes Va had it in the past.

In your case with a stop it is swngs and roundabouts. Going via US hub will see you doing immogration and customs at your first US airport- not MCO. May help with airport arrival there re:car hire lines.

But, if you connect in the UK, then any problems going over or back are slightly more likely to occur here in the UK which can be more convenient for delays/cancellations. IE you could say, take a train home or another flight if yours was cancelled perhaps. Harder to do from the other side.

I might base it on cost and arrival/departure times that are best for you really.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,774 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways

We flew with Delta in 2008 and booked again for 2009, when they changed the route. So cancelled and booked BA ,EDI-LGW-MCO, in Dec.

No problems with the flights, checked in on line 24hrs before the EDI flight and picked the seats for the MCO leg at the same time. Was able to get Exit row seats. On the way back, checked on line 24Hrs before LGW flight, but didn't have much choice on seats this time.

Entertainment was good, large selection of films.

One problems with stopovers is Duty Free, on the return flight to EDI, you will not be allowed to take all liquids bought at Duty free, (in Orlando or on the flight) as hand luggage.

We had a long stopover on the way back, and booked in to Yotel, for a nap and shower, but looking at flights in Sept, this year, the stopover is only about 2 hours.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,986 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways

I think I'd choose the routing via Newark rather than via Gatwick. Not on the basis of airline; just on the basis of routing (although I do have a lot of respect for Continental based on a very good past experience when something went badly wrong - outside their control).

It's nice to get immigration out of the way en route and it's nice, on the way back, to NOT have a wait and take another flight, after arriving in the UK from an overnight, transatlantic trip.

And - as regards duty free liquids:

- via Newark, you WILL be able to buy DutyFree either at Newark or Onboard if flying directly to Edinburgh (in other words, if you are not getting another flight after you get off your international arrival).

- via Gatwick, you WON'T be able to bring any duty-free liquid in, if you're changing at Gatwick, because you won't be allowed to bring it onto the aircraft as it leaves Gatwick (in other words, if you ARE getting another flight after you get off your international arrival).

Edited: 07 January 2010, 10:36