We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discovery Cove - Is it worth the money??

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Discovery Cove - Is it worth the money??

Hi

we are planning our first vsit to Florida in May and I have always wanted to swim with dolphins so are considering the above, however, it is over £700 for myself, husband and 2 young children one of which is under 6 so will not ba able to swim with the dolphins. I am wondering whther the rest of the experience compensates for this? Is there enough to do to spend the whole day there?

Is it worth the money?? Any advice would be much appreciated???

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discovery Cove - Is it worth the money??

Hi, it's soooo worth the money.

It's a wonderful day, and you feel like your on a tropical island, it will be an experience you will all remember, to save a bit of money, only one in the group must do a dolphin swim if others arn't that worried about it.

And I always book it for the begining of the second week of our hol, not right at the end, just incase there is a storm and they have to pospone your day.

You can also save money at the end by just buying a couple of pics or getting the disc withthem on, dont buy the full pack witht he dvd, the dvd is bad quality, which shocked us, and was very expensive.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discovery Cove - Is it worth the money??

Definatly worth the money,its such a wonderful day and all food.drink is included....We found booking with DC direct we got the better deal...we have been 3 times and hopefully 4 this year when we go in november if the finances let us

UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discovery Cove - Is it worth the money??

Thank you for such a quick response - hope you don't mind answering a few more questions..

What is the proceedure with dining, can you book a table for lunch and can you order wine?

Are the drinks and snacks unlimited and of reasonable quality?

Do you actually get 30 minutes witht he dolphins, I have heard reports to say otherwise? How is your slot allocated, the website just states 'first available'

From what you both say it sounds wonderful, it's just so expensive I want ensure we are not dissapointed...

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discovery Cove - Is it worth the money??

Hi, well with the food, you have a couple of hours in the morning to go and get breakfast, and the same at lunch time, there are a lot of lovely dishes and you just que up and ask for what you would like, then find a seat outside, there has never been a case where you cant get a seat, as people eat and arrive at different times.

Snacks are unlimited and so are the drinks, there are different snack/drink bars dotted around, and we always come home with about 10 packets of the dried fruit! lol

We got there just as the doors where opening when we done the dolphin swim, thinking we'd miss out, which was a silly idea.

Basically they give you an appointed time slot for your swim, if you arrive early, your dolphin swim would be early, ours was at 9.30am and the sun was'nt shining on the dolphin pools, this made it quite chiily, even in september. So Id arrive about 9.30am to get a slightly later swim.

Your in the pool about 30 mins, but your be in a group of about 8 people, the dolphin comes to each of you, and you all take part in asking the dolphin to do some drinks, then you swim out and get pulled back by the dolphin, and then have pics taken with the dolphin.

Your always interacting with the dolphin, apart from when your waiting for your swim with it, and if you cant swim the dolphin pulls you along the shallow part.

The main part of the day will be sun bathing, snorkeling in the large pool with all sorts of fish and manta rays, and going along the warm lazy river and warm pool, and the bird avairy and eating.

It';s an expensive day, but I still look at our pics and smile now. If you do go they take a pic of you when you walk in, which you keep for free, remember to go and pick it up at the end, so make sure you have your lippy on!

Look on YouTube at some peoples video clips and see what you think.

:)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discovery Cove - Is it worth the money??

I feel it was worth it. But it was our honeymoon so we wanted it to be special.

For a little look of what discovery cove looks like!

google streetview link:

http://tinyurl.com/ybmsssg

The food is good, the snacks are good. Plenty of everything. I did not see them run out of anything,

There are towels provided, you can use the showers at the end of the day. All shampoo and stuff is provided as well.

We bought a package of photos but to be honest if you just got the CD with pics on it probably a better deal.

The aviary is great, we spent tons of time in there feeding the birds. So much fun, also there was a little muntjack deer about. Really cute.

Edited: 11 January 2010, 15:33
dublin
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discovery Cove - Is it worth the money??

Hi

I have been to florida three times and always put off DC because of the cost,however we are going to do it this june for first time,if you are careful about how you purchase your other universal tickets it actually is not as expensive as it sounds,if doing DC,dont buy a FLEX PLUS ticket for universal,only buy a two park ticket,and buy the discovery cove ticket that gives seaworld,aquatica,and busch gardens.

UK
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discovery Cove - Is it worth the money??

Thank you all for your very helpful advice - we are going to book :-)

8. Re: Discovery Cove - Is it worth the money??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 05:19