We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which attractions to visit with an adventurous 4 year old?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which attractions to visit with an adventurous 4 year old?

My wife, Four year old daughter and I will be heading to Disneyworld in Orlando in May, looking through all of the attractions, it is difficult to decide which ones to visit with our daughter.

Any help or information regarding which theme parks and attractions would be most suited to visit with a four year old would be most helpful, I have heard that Epcot is geared towards older kids, is this true?

My daughter loves funfairs, rides animals....all the usual stuff , is over a meter tall and is brave when it comes to trying new rides and experiences.

Many thanks in advance!

glasgow
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which attractions to visit with an adventurous 4 year old?

A word of caution, no matter how adventurous your daughter is or how willing you are as her parents to allow her to try rides, if she does not meet the minimum height requirement she will not be allowed to ride.

There are age appropriate attractions at all the Disney parks so it may just have to be a case of spending a few hours on the computer going through the Disney website to see what you fancy, eg Animal Kingdom has a Lion King show as well as the safari ride, and deciding what you think your daughter would like the best.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,573 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which attractions to visit with an adventurous 4 year old?

I would say she can pretty much ride everything in the MK if she meets the height requirement. She may not be tall enough for the Mountains (space, thunder or splash). You may also want to ride Snow White without her to see if this is something that will scare her. The witch comes out a few times and scares little one for the rest of the day. Same with Stitches escape. In Epcot I think she will be fine with everything. There are no really scary rides. At HS she may not like Star Tours, Rockin roller coaster or Tower of Terror. You may want to do a baby swap to see if these are something she would like if she meets the height requirement. At AK she might be frightened in It's tough to be a bug show. My daughter was but then again she hates spiders. The dinosaur ride is pretty intense so you may want to try that first also.

Donna

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which attractions to visit with an adventurous 4 year old?

I attached a link to allears.net below where u can find ride restrictions to start your planning.....as the previous poster said, she will need to meet height restrictions first.....

From personal experience, the first time we took our niece she was 4.5...she is adventurous and was game to try many rides outside of those targeted for the "kiddies"...she loved Kali River Rapids, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (we had to ride this over and over and over and then over and over and over - LOL), Splash Mountain, Test Track, Soarin (not really a thrill ride but beautiful)...she was and is too small for Space Mountain. After riding Dinosaur and Tower of Terror once, she was freaked out and would not go back on, she was crying horribly on Mission Space even though she begged to do the "mild version" and won't go near them even now and she is 6.5....it's her decision....we see so many parents forcing crying, scared kids on rides, it is crazy!

There are so many good shows too! She really likes It's Tough to be a Bug, Turtle Talk with Crush, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast (both of which she has seen on Broadway), enjoyed the Kilamanjaro Safari (so many animals were out that day). As the previous poster said, spend some time on the various Disney information sites for research.

Enjoy ur trip! You won't forget your first trip with your daughter - magical!

http://allears.net/tp/rr.htm

And a height calculator from WDWinfo:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/height.htm

Cheers,

M

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which attractions to visit with an adventurous 4 year old?

It really is hard to know, I would spend some time reading info. on the different attractions. Our girls were each 3 when we took on their first Disney trip. They've always been adventurous, and excited to try anything. We've always done EVERYTHING that they were tall enough to do. The only thing that ever remotely bothered either of them was the old Alien Encounter attraction; even that would have been ok if the alien hadn't chosen their dad!

Bottom line, you know your child best. Once when we were at Disney with friends, the mom told her husband not to force their son to do "it's tough to be a bug", Dinosaur, Haunted Mansion, and other attractions which are in the dark and a bit scary. Her husband wouldn't listen; had to make his son tough! Major meltdowns during/after each of those attractions; the kid is now 17yrs old, and well over 6 feet tall; he still won't go on those attractions.

Here's a link to Touring Plans website- www.touringplans.com/tp2/UG2_index.php…

There are free touring plans on the site for all ages, plus tons more info. on Disney World; you can even look at the crowd calendar for the next month for free. If you want more info. (or to look at the crowd calendar for dates further in the future) it's less than $10 for a one year membership, and well worth it IMHO. The book, The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World is also a great resource and gives detailed descriptions of each attraction.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which attractions to visit with an adventurous 4 year old?

Forgot to comment on Epcot. This is another park my kids have always loved; it has been my oldest daughter's favorite park since she was little.

Don't miss Turtle Talk with Crush with your daughter. It's the funniest, and most touching attraction I've ever seen, especially watching the younger kids. I laughed so hard, I cried. The younger kids REALLY get into it.

Many people say that their kids didn't enjoy the World Showcase part of Epcot, but my kids always have. There are Kidcot spots at each country where they can do crafts, have their name written in the native language, talk to native people of that country, etc. …go.com/parks/… Many countries also have entertainment and/or music groups from that particular country, my girls have always enjoyed that too. …go.com/parks/epcot/entertainment/ The Chinese Acrobats should not be missed.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
90 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which attractions to visit with an adventurous 4 year old?

Turtle Talk is great. My then 28 month was in the crowd and Crush asked her a question. I was surprised that she actually answered. I thought she would freeze with a microphone in her face. She did not think it was a big deal, but I thought it was pretty cute...

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
11,953 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which attractions to visit with an adventurous 4 year old?

Hi Nizzer~~~~I would like to mention Mickey's Toontown Fair,which is located in the magic Kingdom. It's perfect for a 4 year old child.She can see Mickey and Minnies houses,and ride on the Goofy's Barnstormer,which is an adorable kids roller coaster.There is a place for snacks,both healthy and "not so much" and she can also meet the characters there.

It's especially fun if you take the train. You can stop right in Toontown!!

Have a wonderful time!!!

uk
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which attractions to visit with an adventurous 4 year old?

just went with my newphews aged 3 (4 in a few months) to seaworld as I thought they would enjoy the shows, animals at this park best- both he and his younger brother aged 2 were quickly bored and we had to leave after a few hrs. However, they played for hrs at the play area in Ak villas- so their is no way in advance of knowing. My girl loved MK when she was 3-5 and we could easily spend the whole day (with pram) there. As long as you can just go with the flo you can enjoy a bit of all parks- IO would recomend a pram even although she probably does not use one now. Buy a cheep one from walmart (or equiv) then just leave it behind. Its cheeper than hiring one even only for a few days at the parks.

9. Re: Which attractions to visit with an adventurous 4 year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 05:17