We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thinking about not going ;(

uk
Level Contributor
496 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
thinking about not going ;(

hey everyone. over the years we have had some great advice form this forum so maybe you can give us some words of wisdom today.

my family and I have been to disney about 6 times now. its the only place we can all go and enjoy ourselves. some of us are sun worshippers who will have a few days by the pools, some enjoy the food, and some, like myself can;t sit still long enough for a beah holiday so love all the parks etc. its the perfect place for us and we love it.

unfortunately, this year it all just seems far too expensive and we don't think that we will be able to come.

We were originally a group of8 and 1 child, 2 of our party have already pulled out as they just cna;t afford it, so we are now 6 adults and 1 child. we HAVE to go in the school holidays as one of the party is a teacher. we were looking at august as then we would get the free dining plan.

we were gong to get a 2 bed villa at saratoga springs, between 8 of us, (just not going to mention the child,) this was a good price and included the food, now we are down to 6, the price per night is the same and we would need the same accomodation to accomodate us all, so the price goes up quite a lot.

as my dad is disabled we really have to stay in disney, the car parks etc are just too much for him, plus its just not hte same staying anywhere else,as i said before our party like to do different things bt then meet up.

the main problme we are having is flights. last year you could get indirect flights for just over £400, this year the cheapest we can see is £600. this is an extra £400 per couple, which is a lot ontop of everything else.

more importantly, my sisters son is now 2 so she has to pay for him to fly too, whch we never have before, so for her this year will cost an extra £1000 for the flights alone which she just cna;t afford.

we have looked at packages but they are even more expensive than doing it all seperately. we have all gone away and tried everything and none of us can think of a solution apart from to not go. we couldn;t save up all that extra money, it costs enough as it is.

so i guess what i'm asking is, is that it? dow we just give up??

if we were going to disney on the dining plan we would want to book the nice restaurants which is now 180 days in advance, so its only a couple of weeks away, otherwise the dining plan is a bit uuseless for us, so we really need to make a decision abot wether to book the accomodation and pray that flight comes up in our price range £400-£450pp, if you do book its £50 each to cancel up to 8 weeks before, which wouldn't be a huge loss.

what would you do???

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thinking about not going ;(

I would wait, save up some more and go next year, if you really cant afford it, then theres no point in trying to kid yourself you can do it if the maths dont add up.

Disney is not going anywhere, wait until you are in a more financially comfortable position to go

pa
Level Contributor
54,412 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: thinking about not going ;(

Hey trip, have you priced up staying in 2 rooms at a Value or Moderate Resort for the Free Dining Promotion ? The Villas are Lovely but if the Goal is to "Be There" then staying in any Resort would be worth it, yes?

Can't help with the Flights, sorry :(

Hope you can find a way to make it work and come back for a little Magic :)

uk
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thinking about not going ;(

what dates are you looking at

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: thinking about not going ;(

If we really couldn't afford a trip of course I wouldn't book it :-(

Could you cut your costs a bit by downgrading your resort? I don't know if you own at DVC but there are other options for 6 that woud cost less. The cabins at Ft. Wilderness, for example, are quite a bit less $$. So are two rooms at a Value resort

You don't need to have a resort reservation to book your dining. You could go ahead and do that and then cancel if things don't work out.

If you decide that it's just not in the cards this year there's always 2011. I don't think Disney is going anywhere!

Good Luck!

Jennifer

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
18,217 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thinking about not going ;(

Save up and go next year, nothing worse than skimping on holiday, as Tinker says Disney will always be there

uk
Level Contributor
496 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thinking about not going ;(

if we were to stay in the value you don;t get free dining, so its a false economy, the saratoga has 52% off, so for a 2 bedroom villa its £189 a night including your food which is a pretty good price. because there are 6 of us, staying at one of the moderates like port orleans, means we would have to get 2 rooms so its pretty much thte same price nad this is for only counter service dining plan not hte full thing.

the accomodation is a good price, it wa better between 8 of us admittedly but its still not the big cost becasue of the food being included.

the difference between this year and last year is the flights. althoug a couple of hundred pounds doesn;t seem that much, it is when the holiday is already an expensaive one.

we wanted to go this year as my husband and i are hoping to start trying for a baby next year so we probably won;t be able to go. maybe we should do that this year and all go next year!!! not sure if he's be a fan of that idea though!!!! ha ha!!!

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: thinking about not going ;(

Partypa...something I have noticed before is that when they offer free dining to us lot over in the uk...value resorts is not included!! I noticed this when i priced up a family suite in all stars compared to a cabin at fort wilderness.

Trip...save up and go for a biggie next year :o)

uk
Level Contributor
496 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: thinking about not going ;(

we can go anytime from the 1st august, as long as we leave on or before the 31st august.

uk
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: thinking about not going ;(

do you need to go from london. also are you hiring a car so can you land in tampa I think I saw some to tampa in aug for less than $700 yesterday, when looking for someonelse

uk
Level Contributor
496 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: thinking about not going ;(

the value is never included, the moderates only get counter service, and they always heavily discount saratoga and old key west, these are the same price.

it works out cheapre to go to these than to the carribean beach on only the counter service! whatever number is in your part!!!

its also cheaper to get a 1 bedroom than 2 studios. go figure!!!