We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport question

wales
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Passport question

Thought you may like to know the rules for entering the usa if you do not have 6 Passport Validity: Under the Visa Waiver Program, the passport must be valid for at least 90 days from the date on which the holder enters the United States. If not, the holder will be admitted until the expiration date on the passport. Note: Passport holders from Andorra, Brunei, and San Marino must be in possession of a passport valid for at least six months from the date of departure from the United States, even if travelling visa free under the Visa Waiver Programmonths left on your passport.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport question

I'm not sure why you think a passport needs to be valid for 90 days when travelling to the US from the UK. Is this a new rule?

According to the US Embassy website, which I'm sure should have the up to date travel information:

"If you are a passport holder from anyone of the following countries, the requirement that your passport be valid for six months beyond your date of departure from the U.S. is waived.

Your passport must be valid on entry into the U.S. If the passport is not valid for the duration of your stay, you will be required to apply for a new passport from your Embassy while in the U.S. If your visit will be of short duration during which time your passport will expire, we recommend that you obtain a new passport before traveling as you will be admitted only until the date on which the passport expires. Such action before you depart for the U.S. will save you the inconvenience of applying not only for a new passport, but also an extension of stay."

There is a long list of countries including the UK.

As you can see legally you only need to cover your stay. However, that said I personnally would want to have a bit of leeway (at least a month) in case anything happened on holiday to delay departure.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport question

And where is the question in this?

This subject has been covered over and over by now, no real need to add another post on this.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport question

I definately remember reading what the opening poster has stated about the 90 day validity, but for the life of me can't remember where!

I've checked my booking for our upcoming trip to see if it was on there but that actually says the passport must be valid for 6 months from date of departure. Neither of these is consistent with Judiths quote from the US embassy! So which is right? Our passports are valid for at least six months so not a problem for us but it would be nice to know what is right!

Also to pbuyse2, I's obvious that this post was mistitled. This is a forum for keeping people updated and informed and that is what the opening poster is trying to do.

Also the majority of questions/comments on this forum have been answered over and over again. There are new people joining all the time so this is only to be expected and not everyone is a regular user of it so they do not know whether a subject has been covered before or not.

All you have to do if you read a post which you think has already been discussed is to click out of it, not tell someone they shouldn't be posting it!

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest!

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport question

holidaynut!,

I agree with you Sarah-Jane is welcome to ask what ever she likes.

Never put down someone posting here we are trying to maintain the Orlando forum a s friendly place where all are welcome and cliques don't exist.

BTW I checked again and Judith is referring to correct information from the Embassy of the United States web site.

See .... http://bit.ly/us_passport

Hope this helps.

David

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport question

Thanks DLB-GOUROCK!

I've read the link you gave and seeing as that is the embassy website you would expect that to be the correct info. However, I've found out where it was that I had read what sarahjanelewis had said. It is on www.usembassy.org.uk. I don't know how to post links but if you go to details on the Visa Waiver programme for UK pasport holders then on the right in a box titled additional info (click on does your passport qualify for VWP) it does state exactly what sarahjanelewis quoted about 90 days validity.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,509 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport question

I've found some more info on this passport question. from this site ... http://bit.ly/9BOJm0 which is British Foreign and Commonwealth Office

<<<< Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?

No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States. >>>>

So you can stay in the US until the last day of your valid passport. The 90 days may be confused with the maximum length of time you are allowed to stay in the US under the visa waiver program which is 90 days.

David

If you are travelling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport question

This seems to be causing the same problems as the UK disabled badges.

The information is different depending on who you speak to and/or which web site you look at

gismo

8. Re: Passport question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2010, 05:17