We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting with a drink driving conviction

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting with a drink driving conviction

Hi everyone,

My friend would like to visit The USA but got arrested for drink driving 2 years ago.

Can someone please tell me if they have travelled with the same conviction and had any problems?

Many thanks! :)

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting with a drink driving conviction

I know of a guy, a farmer, who lost his UK licence for drink driving for 12 months - he went to the US for a year and got a job driving a combine harvester, harvesting crops, from state to state. That was a few years ago mind..

Point is they let him in to the US and even let him work. He did however have a Visa and guess your friend may also need one as likely to be exempt from the VWP?

dublin
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visiting with a drink driving conviction

My mistake...there was no points on licence,just spoke to him,was a years suspension,but was allowed to reapply early,and police said at time they would not object.

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting with a drink driving conviction

I'm not speaking from experience, so apologies for straying somewhat off OP Topic, but i would contact US Embassy, just to err on the side of caution. If it were me, i wouldn't be concerned with how many people in a similar situation had been ok, as it only takes one keen government official, and it would spell the end of your vacation, not to mention, future visits to the US. Could you really sit on that plane to Orlando worry free, based on the testimony of others, i know i couldn't. Better safe than sorry!

dublin
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visiting with a drink driving conviction

Drink driving is NOT on esta,not a hint of it anywhere,as long as you answer all questions honestly and get approval then why worry.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Visiting with a drink driving conviction

Use the embassy wizard and judge for yourself how drunk driving can be a problem

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Visiting with a drink driving conviction

Esta approval does not guarantee your entry into the USA, only as far as the Queue at immigration.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Visiting with a drink driving conviction

Thanks for the responses so far.

For those of you that have got DD convictions, can I ask how long ago it was you had them before you entered the States?

Also, has anyone attempted to enter Canada with this conviction?

Thank you! :)

Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Visiting with a drink driving conviction

You are normally arrested for an offence of drink driving. The minimum disqualification is for a period of 12 months. That is mandatory in the UK. The length of disqualification is dependant on the amount of alcholol in breath you are over the limit. There are no points put on the licence as a period of disqualification is the punishment. In some cases the court will allow you to apply for early return of your licence if you take the drink drivers rehabilition course. This removes 25% of the total ban. This course has to be paid for by the defendant. Once the period of the disqualification is up you can reapply for your licence. You should not drive on a public road until the licence is in your possession. The endorsement stays on your licence for ten years.

Points are a slightly different matter. Once a total of 12 points has been reached then you are disqualified for a period of six months under the totting up procedure. In exceptional circumstances the disqualification is not applied (only after a court hearing). It can also be reduced to a shorter period. Points stay on a licence for a period of four years although they are only applicable for three years for the purpose of totting up.

All points should be declared to your insurance company. Failure to do so may invailidate your insurance. In the event of an accident you may find that your insurance company will refuse to pay out and further court proceedings may be brought against you.

I can only comment on the situation in the UK as a matter of certainty, but I would think it would be much the same in the US. If you don't show the paper part of your licence with the points on and then you are involved in an accident you could find yourself in all sorts of difficulties.

I would also imagine that if you were disqualifed from driving in the UK you would be disqualified from driving in the US. I also stated that driving under the influence is an arrestable offence. Therefore you would not be eligibile to enter the US on the visa waiver program.

Should you take that chance then be prepared to accept any subsequent consequences.

Sorry to sound so serious, but I see the consequences and the ruined lives that drink driving causes on a regular basis.

Regards,

Deaconblue

Edited: 08 March 2010, 23:30
Seaham, United...
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Visiting with a drink driving conviction

Bumping for act1980.

I hop the above information make the situation clear for your friend.

Regards,

Deaconblue

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,277 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Visiting with a drink driving conviction

Points here stay on your DL for 6 years.