We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continental airlines

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Continental airlines

hi,has any one used Continental airlines?would anyone reccomend this airline or anyone had a bad experience,thinking of using them,any advice,thanks

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Continental airlines

Hi Paddy2

I used them to fly to orlando via Newark from Belfast, in October. I have never been on a long haul flight before and cannot compare them to anyone else, but in saying that i thought they were fantasic. Good inflight entertainment, very helpful staff, and a great advert for what an airline should be, unlike some of the short haul charters to Europe that i was used too.

Hope this helps

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Continental airlines

thanks NornIRon ,dont know weather to use CA or BA,CA seem to be a bit cheaper,but there luggage limits are smaller than BA

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Continental airlines

I'm a Continental frequent flyer. Zagat has them rated #1 of the US airlines - which isn't saying much. I fly their international service and that's pretty good.

They have a youngest fleet of aircraft in the US, so the plane should be in good shape. If you clear customs in Newark (likely), you'll be leaving from the same terminal that you arrive at - no shuttle between terminals.

If you have the flight number, you can check aircraft type and seating arrangements online.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Continental airlines

thanks Tourmaline ,would we have to go through customs if we were taking another flight(orlando),could we go straight to our connecting flight without having to go through customs and being checked.we had to do that in gatwick london.came off our orlando flight and had to go out and then back through security again,very awkward with children.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
380 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Continental airlines

Continental was fine from Fla to Mexico. Even waited for some of us bec customs was so backed up coming back thru Houston. A++

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Continental airlines

When entering the US, you clear customs before changing aircraft. The Continental terminal has its own Customs and Immigration facilities. You'll clear thru there, after collecting all your bags, drop any checked luggage and proceed to go up the escalators to the departures and go to your gate. You should allow 1.5-2 hours to be comfortable, but I have found very little delay clearing. Returning US citizens do go thru different lines and US Visitor lines are more crowded and slower.

Newark is a Continental hub, so if you should miss a flight, you will be able to catch one later that day. About the only time there's serious problems is when extreme weather hits, or during holiday traffic - esp. our Thanksgiving (the most traveled holiday of the year in the US), President's Week, and all the usual holidays like Easter and Christmas. Being a frequent flyer I'm used to the inevitable waits, but traveling on vacation with kids is different. Continental has a large, clean terminal with lots of food places and shops. Waiting isn't too painful!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Continental airlines

hanks for the advice Tourmaline ,pad

Ontario
Level Contributor
12 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Continental airlines

Flew Montreal-Newark-Zurich and reverse in Oct.05 Excellent trip could"t ask for better do custom in Newark Emie

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Continental airlines

Flew Continental from KY to Hawaii. Got great rates and great service.

There was tV in every seatback. They fed us twice. It was probably the best flight I've had. Attendants were very helpful.

Dublin
Level Contributor
794 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Continental airlines

Just a few points to note:

I think the aircraft they use on Dublin - NY portion don't have TV's in the seat backs - they are older types.

You clear immigration in Dublin (I think Dublin and Shannon are the only 2 cities outside the USA where you can do this). This is a real bonus.

I posted a similar thread in the New York forum earlier in 2005, but with a focus on kids = inflight entertainment. I can't post the link here, but if you search the New York forum, and put in Continental Flights & kids entertainment on board in the search, you'll find it.