We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing Both Disneyworld and Universal?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Doing Both Disneyworld and Universal?

Planning a trip for about a week to Orlando. I can't help but notice that the pricing on the tickets to both Disney and Universal are set up such that it behooves you to stick with one park and ignore the other completely. Is there a way to split your time between the two of them without breaking the bank?

Thanks

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doing Both Disneyworld and Universal?

No! Thats how its designed , to make you pay for a bigger slice of the action than you need or want.

Like buying a large loaf of bread when you know you are going to throw half of it away. Its quite a common practice in the US .

Adults will often buy large meals for themselves and their children ,with side orders sometimes.

And only eat a small proportion of it. Its called waste. And in Buffet restaurants its even worse

Panama
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doing Both Disneyworld and Universal?

Yeap. Prices have gone up miserably. I plan visiting Orlando and just heading to the Disney parks for one day. Staying at a value hotel helps, and I am just buying a one day ticket so I get to feel some of the Disney magic. Then, I´m heading off to International Drive and staying at one of the value hotels near Universal to do the parks. ( I prepurchased the 7 day unlimited ticket before prices went up). Now, they are pretty expensive.

Marquibiri

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,031 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doing Both Disneyworld and Universal?

We only do one or the other. This year we'll do a week in Disney (stay on site) and next year we'll do Universal for a week (stay on site). When we do Universal we like to take a day in the middle and go to a water park at Disney. It's a nice break from the parks.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doing Both Disneyworld and Universal?

XR759,

I agree w/ most of your statements about waste, but what in the name of all things holy does it have to do with getting a good deal on both WDW and Universal Studios?

Actually, the comparison makes no sense, Universal Studios and Disney's pricing has nothing to do with waste and everything to do with marketing. It's called "economy of scale" and it's common in every marketplace throughout the world...simply stated, the more you buy the more you save...just like when you buy a case of soda instead of one...like when you buy cheese by the pound rather than the ounce, like when you buy a dozen rolls of paper towel rather than three...the more days' tickets you buy the cheaper each day becomes. These theme parks know that by the third or fourth day you're getting bored with their park...they'd rather sell you that day's ticket for $10 (and yes, it really is that cheap) and have you spend your refreshment/food/novelty dollars at their park than try to charge the full price and have you go across the street for your day's entertainment. We just bought 7 day tickets and I can tell you for sure that if the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th day tickets were full price, we would have opted for other parks...since they were so heavily discounted we went ahead and bought the 7 dayers. If you're just looking for a day or two in each park, you're going to pay full (or close to full) price.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doing Both Disneyworld and Universal?

+1 to the last guy.

This week we are doing 1 day at DW, Epcot and Universal. I really don't resent the prices as I haven't been to Disneyland since 1990 and probably won't be coming back to Orlando for a looong time (if for some reason I had to go back it will be on the west coast which is a lot closer to me).

Yeah, $79/day seems like a lot but I pay $65 a day just to go skiing (discounted from $85) so that puts it in perspective. It would be nice if they sold a pass that works at all the parks (just as Aspen sell tix that work at all locations) but with the different owners that will never happen.

The only thing that bothers me about the pricing are the kids tickets - our 3 year old will probably use 1/2 the resources as a 10 year old because he can't go on many of the rides (nor can you wait in line for 2 hours with him). Also would be nice if the annual passes worked in both California and Florida. But management has decided they don't like that option, so they'll lose my incremental revenue.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doing Both Disneyworld and Universal?

Not to interrupt this scholarly and philosophical discussion ;), but I completely understand the "why" of it, I'm just curious if there's any way around it. Sounds like the answer is no?

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doing Both Disneyworld and Universal?

I dont disagree with your statement. But the problem is when you have bought a 7 or 14 day ticket ath the price they charge you you feel committed to use it.

Now if I buy a pound of cheese , or a dozen bottles of soda because its works out cheaper to buy more than one.

Once I have paid for them they become "MY" property. And if I want to give half the cheese and bottles of soda away for any reason i can , Because i can do what I will with my own.

But with Disney tickets they say that's un lawful . The 7 days of a 14 day ticket that I have bought to gain entry to the parks apparently does not belong to me but Disney even though I have paid for them.

I cannot do what i will with my own. I am like my example are encouraged to waste them. Or pay them for goods and services they know i will not be using.

How many families of 4 would go to a restaurant and order a meal for each person and be happy to be charged for 8, even if half of them was only charged at ten bucks.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
152 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doing Both Disneyworld and Universal?

Actually, what you're buying isn't the same kind of property -- you're basically purchasing a license to use Disney's private property and, as a private entity, Disney can place whatever restrictions it chooses upon the use of its property.

I'm not eager to come to Disney's defense here or anything, but in fairness to Disney, you're kind of comparing apples and oranges here.

canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doing Both Disneyworld and Universal?

I can see where XR759 is coming from...we purchased a 7 day pass only 7 months ago...we used 3 days. We're heading back there in 5 weeks but cannot use the passes now even though there were 4 days left (didn't get the "no expiry" on them--doh!!) so we're back to square one. Looking at prices last night and it is cheaper to get 7 days but will we be in the same situation again with wasting it? Perhaps, yes, unless we get the "no expiry" which, in itself, costs a small fortune. Remember those days when you could buy unused passes out in front for $30 (circa 1990)???

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,252 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Doing Both Disneyworld and Universal?

To Boraxo, Disney just introduced an annual pass good in both FL and CA. Check it out.

To ss69-72, to add the No Expiry to your 7 day ticket (using current prices) before would have been $115. A lot. Yes. But you'd have 4 days for this trip. And you'd feel even better about them because you weren't spending any money on tickets this time. To buy 4 new days will be $225 or $110 more. "doh" is right!

I understand your points XRs. The OP is from the US though so the waste that comes with a UK only Disney Premium or Ultimate pass isn't really applicable. The general point about waste is good though and so to the original question I say "buy only what you need". I'm not picking on ss69-72, but it is a good example. The difference between the 3 days that they used and the 7 day that the bought is only $15...but if you know you are only going 3 days why waste $15 per person. Got to keep in mind these are different companies so of course each is going to try to get you to their park the longest. Only you know what "breaking the bank" is to you. I think the thing to do is to decide which parks/how many days you'd like to do ideally then ask the forum for help how to accomplish this the best way possible. Compare that to the full amount of time at one park and decide for yourself if it's feasible. For some it is not and it does need to be an either or decision. This is particularly advisable to those from the UK who often do jump at the 7, 14, or 21 day tickets without considering they can buy only what they need which can often lead to substantial savings (and no waste!).