We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

villa rental/flights with thomas cook - highlands reserve

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
villa rental/flights with thomas cook - highlands reserve

Has anyone booked with TC before and if so stayed at HR? We booked with Virgin last year, it was good, but TC alot cheaper. Any advice would be great.

Ireland
Level Contributor
587 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: villa rental/flights with thomas cook - highlands reserve

hi i have stayed in Highlands Reserve but booked flights and the house seperate myself because it worked out cheaper

Highlands Reserve is a beautiful area we loved it I booked the villa direct from the owner on homeaway.com... its worth a look

I will say one thing you will need a car its on the US27 and a good 15-20 min drive from the theme parks....

Surrey
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: villa rental/flights with thomas cook - highlands reserve

Thanks for that. We stayed at Hampton Lakes last year, across the way from HR, found the area very good. Just wondered if the houses are too close together or whether the 4/5 bed houses have good views from pool?

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: villa rental/flights with thomas cook - highlands reserve

The majority have golf course views.

if you book direct with owner you can pick your own which you can't usually do with a travel agent.

We always book independantly as there is just 2 of us and don't want to have to pay an under occupancy charge on the villa which is often the case with a package.

Surrey
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: villa rental/flights with thomas cook - highlands reserve

Thanks for reply. That is excellent news. I have a good price quoted through TC just haven't flown with them before, flew Virgin last year, not very good! Any view on Sanford Airport would be welcome too.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: villa rental/flights with thomas cook - highlands reserve

Sanford airport is much smaller than MCO which appeals to lots of people, if you don't mind the longer drive it's fine.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: villa rental/flights with thomas cook - highlands reserve

hey 2008 we book with going places thomas cook to highlands reserve was fab but no spa or games room as promised we complained and got a free trip to swim with the manatees HR was lovely and houses great 4 bed room good size...only downside was thomas "cramp" airways x

Surrey
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: villa rental/flights with thomas cook - highlands reserve

hi, that's useful to know, thanks. I intend to book their "premium cabin" as seems quite reasonable and hopefully bigger seats! I don't mind the hour's drive so Sanford seems a reasonable choice. Also, was wondering about their car hire, as car included but not insurance, how much is that likely to cost? I need a car for 5 adults and not really sure whether need to upgrade to SUV? Any advice?

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: villa rental/flights with thomas cook - highlands reserve

You are probably looking at £250 -£300 for insurance with the "free" car plus add ons for additional drivers etc

Worth looking on comparison websites such as www.travelsupermarket.com for agencies in the UK. We have used www.usrentacar.co.uk in the past and carhire3000.

We had a SUV last year although we didn't book one and there was only the 2 of us rattling around in it but there was plenty of room

Surrey
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: villa rental/flights with thomas cook - highlands reserve

last year I added additional driver but ended up doing the driving myself so was a waste! He doesn't want to drive there particularly! So if I book a car myself through another rental co here what do I do about the "free car" with TC? Just ignore and go get our own? Sorry to ask so many questions! Thanks for your help.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: villa rental/flights with thomas cook - highlands reserve

Yes just ignore the free car bit, it might be worth your while just seeing how much TC car insurance etc will be before you decide not to take the car.

Think you are right to book the premium cabin as TC leg room is only 29"