We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinning with Shamu

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Topic
Dinning with Shamu

I am planning to visit SeaWorld on the 11th May and just wondered if anybody had any insider info on whether Dinning with Shamu might be available any time soon.

If not then I am considering the Sharks Underwater Grill, although I have read reports this is a little pricey, We are a group of 2 adults and 2 children (8 & 5)

Any input / recommendations most welcome

Cheers

Jay

uk
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinning with Shamu

went to sharks underwater gril over xmas/new year compared to the other themed places we ate at in the same price range it was by far the worst- I would not go again. The food was at best OK. Unfortuneatly there is a real lack of good eateries in sea world/ Busch parks. Good ones we found were- disney- sanna, boma, mexico one in epcot, polly resort resturant kona? kids liked rainforest cafe . universal -planet hollywood with backroom tour- free just a t ip for amazing guide (16yrs thought this was best part of holiday). and for cheep ok one - margariaville . emiril chop chop - ok but very very pricey- would not go back not as good as expected for price.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinning with Shamu

Thanks for that fragileUK, I had read mixed reviews.

If Dinning with Shamu is not available, would going to a restaurant outside of SeaWorld be a good idea? We plan to spend the whole day there so it may offer a nice rest bite half way through from the day.

Can you leave the park and return on the same day? Any recommendations for close by restaurants or would that be a bad idea?

Cheers

Jay

Edited: 21 April 2010, 12:44
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,035 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinning with Shamu

hmm, I wasn't aware that Dine With Shamu wasn't available. At the press conference following the death of the trainer they said it would resume that Monday. Guess they changed their mind?

Personally, I don't think I'd leave for dinner and go back (at least not if you are only going for one day) but that's just me. Not an awful lot in that immediate area (although there is a new TGIFridays close by). You would have to go further up I-Drive or down to Lake Buena Vista for any sort of choice. It's no problem going in and out if you want though (and remember too, if you have a one day ticket you can get a second day free - go to the window on your right just before you exit).

I think a 5 and 8 year old would like Sharks. I also think that SW parks have probably the best food when you are talking about counter service and comparing to Disney and Universal. Sharks is sit down of course, but the above is not exactly an apples to apples comparison as, apart from the mexico place in Epcot, none of those are in the parks. I also wouldn't call Sharks a theme restaurant like Rainforest, Planet Hollywood or Jimmy Buffetts; not a buffet like Boma, not a restaurant by a celebrity chef like Tchoup Chop (which is, in our opinion, excellent), etc. Some of these are very good recommendations, and some certainly better than Sharks, but it's not a fair comparison or same category is all I'm saying. If you want table service at SW then that's your option. Remember, you're in a theme park. There is a premium for that and also for the convenience and atmosphere. It is what it is.

uk
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinning with Shamu

I agree that I wouldn't go to the effort of leaving to go and get food, I would eat at the self service cafes, some of the food there is not to bad, and infact as the other post said the ones at busch were prob the best we came across and just keep it light then go out for diner in th evening (unless you are staying late). I would not do sharks again even though I really dislike buffets and much prefere table service, (boma an exeption, but still would have prefered the same food table service, which is why sanna is great and what a view of the animals I cannot recomend this one enough). the universal ones although not in the parks are easy to get to as they are right at the entrance (between) each park. As for Emirils maybe we just had a bad day - Xmasday and it was very busy - but they made three mistakes with out food- One of which could have ended with me getting very ill. I had to question 3 times if they were sure I could eat something- waiter -yes twice but still not convinced as originaly the chef had said he would not put the sauce on but dish appeared with the sauce. After a thrid time the water dissapeared then came running back and pulled my plate away. As a result my food reappeared 20mins after every else had finished. Food not great for 3 out of the 4 of us (not bad but not wow) 2 courses 1 bottle wine 4 soft drinks and water and a bill of $275 (2 diners were children)

Ermington, United...
Level Contributor
571 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinning with Shamu

I too heard that dine with shamu was not on , something to do with the investigation n all that, cant see it on the website either, we did this last year and it was very good, i did chuckle at the gratuity card handed to us at the end of the meal, it was self service, apart from the drinks lol, never mind it was worth the money,

I would suggest having a good breakfast before you go into the park, then a snack or ice cream around lunch time and eat your evening meal after you leave the park ,

whatever you decide have a great time

6. Re: Dinning with Shamu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 07:18