We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any tips for long drive after long flight?

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
any tips for long drive after long flight?

so. It looks like flights are back to normal and I will be flying over to Miami (from London) on Sunday, arriving at 17:50. I will then need to get the rental car and drive up to Kissimmee. Now, it wasn't planned this way but due to the volcano and rebooking and flight availability it has worked out the way. I can't really not do the drive as I have already paid for the villa in Orlando and am already loosing (and paying for) an extra night.

Any tips on quickest route and how to stay awake? I thought that if we are lucky, we might get away by 7pm, drive a couple of hours, stop for food somewhere and coffee (!) and then do the next 1.5 hours. Open villa and fall into bed .....

Leeds
Level Contributor
124 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any tips for long drive after long flight?

A number of years ago we were late getting into Orlando and we were heading for Clearwater.

The only way we got through it was to ramp up the air-con so we didn't get warm and sleepy and just keep flicking through the radio channels and finding stuff to sing along to. I suppose an iPod will cover this now.

I don't know about the route as I have never done Miami - Kissimmee but I imagine most will recommend the interstate as it'll be the quickest route. Not knowing the route I cannot suggest anywhere to eat either so my other suggestion would be to stop at a Publix etc on your way to the interstate and pick up stuff to eat in the car. This will obviosuly cut down on the overall time taken to get up to your villa

West Kilbride...
Level Contributor
972 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any tips for long drive after long flight?

We did Sanford to Fort Myers Beach last year, and it was actually not too bad. Holiday buzz kept us going, but totally flagged once we opened our hotel room door. Probably concentrating on your route will keep you plenty awake.

Tampa FL
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: any tips for long drive after long flight?

As it is a 3 1/2 - 4 hour drive after a very long flight and the joy of luggage claim, Immigration, customs, etc. I would strongly reccomend you start your journey and then find a hotel/motel along your route at the sign of the first yawn. Sure, it's an extra expense, but what is it compared to a car mishap due to fatigue while driving in a foreign country, in the dark along a route you are not familiar with? Wake up fresh the next morning and find your way in the daylight.

Good luck and have a wonderful time in Florida.

Joe

Tampa FL

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,076 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any tips for long drive after long flight?

Agree. Stop for one night asap after leaving the airport.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,045 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: any tips for long drive after long flight?

Do you have to be at the villa that day for check-in? I'm guessing that will be your problem, right? If not I'd cut back elsewhere and get a room.

If you simply must be at the villa arrival day my super studious daughter recommends plenty of Red Bull ;-)

I do the AC set on frigid too. You could play loud music on the radio maybe? I've done a lot of solo driving lately and find that singing along helps as does a passenger willing to chat with you.

The turnpike is very boring I'm afraid.

Jennifer

East Calder...
Level Contributor
138 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any tips for long drive after long flight?

I agree too. The Interstate is BORING at the best of times, it's all road with at times high walls and very little scenerie to keep you occupied.

One peice of advice is that you incur extra toll charges when you pop off for a break. Yeehaw Junction was an example of this we were desperate to see what it looked like - and it was mainly a big billboard and road works. There are reasonably priced motels just outside Miami make use of one, you will wake early the next morning as your body clock takes a few days to adjust so it will be early on the road and at the villa mid morning. Enjoy

Gainesville, Fl
Level Contributor
66 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any tips for long drive after long flight?

You will leave the airport and get on the 836 expressway. I recommend going east on 836 to I-95 (about 8-10 minutes). Go north on I-95 for about 10-15 minutes and then get on the Turnpike Northbound (entrance is on the left). You will then take the turnpike north all the way to Kissimmee. You will probably get off at US-192 or the Osceola Parkway depending on where your hotel is. Along the turnpike every half hour is a rest stop with a gas station, restaurants, bathrooms etc.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any tips for long drive after long flight?

I agree with post #7. Take the turnpike straight up. You can stop before getting on to get breakfast and charge up then go. Bring quarters for the tolls or hope your rental car comes with the toll booth sunpass (pays tolls automatic). The drive is about 3.5 hours. I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale and it is an easy staight drive right up the middle of the state to the Orlando area. Hard to get lost once you get on the interstate freeway. There are quite a bit of places to stop in the middle of the interstate so you don't have to exit off. Have fun and good luck!!!

G31
Minden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any tips for long drive after long flight?

thanks for all the suggestions. Red bull, cold air con and food to pick on, all good suggestions, thanks. I am already paying for the villa (actually paying Saturday and Sunday already) so really don't want to have to fork out for a hotel on top of that but if it gets to bad, I will!

Thanks also for the directions, all noted down!

Ireland
Level Contributor
716 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any tips for long drive after long flight?

Tip one drink lots of coffee if not a coffee drinker, some thing with alot of suger, also ul be on such a high when you arrive i dont think the tiredness will hit you. Have a great trip ;)