We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holiday money-cash,travellers cheques or pre-paid card

staffordshire
6 posts
Save Topic
holiday money-cash,travellers cheques or pre-paid card

hi all

would appreciate any advice on what to take am going in 5 wk so still have time to order from crown ,are travellers cqs easy to cash and do you need to take passport with you or will photocopy do.thanks in advance think i too am addicted to forum!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: holiday money-cash,travellers cheques or pre-paid card

I have a fairfx pre-paid mastercard, and I have also ordered some cash from Crown. I used to use travellers cheques, but after using my fairfx card last year, wouldnt go back to TCs. My hubby had TCs last year, and had to carry his passport around, and also had budgeting issues with them (trying to decide how much he would spend!!) when we went shopping, so on a few occasions ended up using my card!!

Take whatever you feel comfortable using. I know there are a few places that dont like cashing TCs, but generally they are accepted like cash

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
330 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: holiday money-cash,travellers cheques or pre-paid card

Tinker bell, do the cards come with names on like regular mastercards? Or do they just have the numbers on so that me and my partner could share one? I really like the sound of them, not having to carry passport, record serial number of cheques etc. Thanks x

staffordshire
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: holiday money-cash,travellers cheques or pre-paid card

Thanks tinkerbelle can you check your balance at atms with fairfax card?

Reading
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: holiday money-cash,travellers cheques or pre-paid card

hey, we have ordered a fairfx card for our trip nxt January, the cards come with your name on like a normal mastercard but you can request a second card for your partner if you require, and yes you can check balances at atm's as far as i know.

hope this helps?

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
330 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: holiday money-cash,travellers cheques or pre-paid card

Thanks, that's great!

glasgow
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: holiday money-cash,travellers cheques or pre-paid card

hi there we are also using the fair fx card and as far as i know you can request a balance and also top up by text message, there is a charge when withdrawing from atm so make sure you withdraw enough for a few days, another prepaid card is the caxton card which is similar but no atm charges.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
7,932 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: holiday money-cash,travellers cheques or pre-paid card

TC`s are easy to change and a photocopy of your passport is fine as ID. The only places I`m aware of that does not accept them is Texas de Brazil and Golden Corral.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: holiday money-cash,travellers cheques or pre-paid card

does golden corral not accept travellers cheques anymore? not going til next year, but would love to know

Warwick
Level Contributor
404 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: holiday money-cash,travellers cheques or pre-paid card

We use pre-paid card from Tesco, no ATM charge or load up fee.Slightly better rate with FX Card but saving can be wiped out by ATM charges. Plus you get Tesco points.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: holiday money-cash,travellers cheques or pre-paid card

No you cant check your balance at an ATM, you cn do it online, by phone or by text. I checked mine daily on-line, and it comes with your name printed on it like an actual credit card, but you can have more than one, so if you lose your card, you can just transfer your balance to the other card