We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weird question about butterflies

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
weird question about butterflies

My grandson (6) is crazy about butterflies and asked me if we could see butterflies at Disney when we go in August. .I'm thinking he means live ones and not specimens.

Any ideas where we can see live butterflies on Disney property or the Orlando area? Like some type of butterfly conservatory?

Thanks again - I know my TA friends will be able to steer me in the right direction!

aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weird question about butterflies

I don't know about August. I know when we go in May, there is a temporary outside screened in area that has some butterflies. This is part of the flower festival at that time, so I don' t know if it will be open in August.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,216 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: weird question about butterflies

The butterfly tent at Epcot is only temporary I'm afraid as part of the Flower & Garden Festival. I can't think of another spot at Disney apart from them being part of the 3D Tough To Be A Bug attraction at Animal Kingdom (which might be scary for some kids). There is a butterfly garden at Leu Gardens which is just north of downtown Orlando. Admission is free the first Monday of each month. It's an open air garden so no guarantees. They have a nice rose garden among other things as well. If you're headed south to Miami be sure to stop at http://www.butterflyworld.com/start.html which is probably what you had in mind.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weird question about butterflies

It's out of the way, but the mega butterfly place is the Florida Museum of Natural History, part of the University of Florida in Gainesville. Apart from offering a look at the museum's scientific collections, they have a spectacular flight cage with tropical butterflies.

Leu Gardens is operated by the City of Orlando. They have fine palm and cycad collections. Leu is the sort of place that would attract plenty of American tourists, if only it were in Europe.

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weird question about butterflies

The Brevard Zoo ( about an hour from Disney- not too far from Kennedy Space Center) in Melbourne will have a Butterfly exhibit this summer. The zoo itself is lots of fun. It is called the Butterfly Connection and will be there until August 8th- 10 am to 4:30 daily.

Zoo address is 8225 N. Wickham Road in Melbourne.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weird question about butterflies

You need to remember Butterflies (alive) are very seasonal and many species are only on the wing for a few weeks each year . Some like the Monarch which over winter in Mexico and migrate all over the USA and parts of Canada and sometimes to Britain As it is classed as a British Butterfly but found in frequently. will have several hatching's . Very much like our own small tortoiseshell. You will no doubt find some local species on your trip. Disney is a good place to find them as they plant a lot of Butterfly loving flowering shrubs, There is a a butterfly farm /display down near north Naples but never been to it. But what there is to be got is a series of books showing Florida wildlife . One is Butterflies, one is Moths, trees shells, Birds fish etc In full colour and habitat discriptions you should be able to see the American Swallow tail. and if you are luck around UV lighting at night the spectacular American Moon Moth Both large and bright yellow. Moths and butterflies are pretty much the same but Butterflies don't fly at night, But some moths do fly in the day . the way to ID a moth or a butterfly is . Butterflies Antenna have a little bobble on the top.

Moths have antenna like the skeleton bones of a very small fish.

The male of the species having the larger pair . gender is sometimes different in colour. The Males of course being the more pretty ones. (that way the females have to wear make up, to play catch up in the glamor stakes). In the Florida sun the butterflies are quite skittish as they need to use the sun to warm up. In Britain they have to often fly when its cold so not as active. and you can get much nearer and good photos

My 2 sons when at school and for a few years after kept butterflies and moths and we had caterpillars all over. With the fridge vedg tray used to store pupa and eggs. much to their mothers horror sometimes

With caterpillars a big a your index finger crawling all over at times.

And moths with a 10 in with span flitting all over the kitchen when we were trying to photograph them. American Moon moths among them. its a amazing hobby for kids to take up with very little cost attached. I have still got some 30 boxes of pinned specimens besides all the thousands we have released back into the wild..

glasgow
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weird question about butterflies

XR.. I'm impressed.

Edited: 29 May 2010, 22:28
Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weird question about butterflies

Audrey; That might not last long if you got up one morning and found your kitchen window had a couple of thousand black hairy caterpillars all over the window that had done jail break . Or have the 2 boys let lose their nights catch of moths in their sisters bedroom then wake her up at 2;00 am and hang onto the outside door handle.

8. Re: weird question about butterflies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2010, 05:17