We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental to a 19 year old or 20 year old, does it exist?

Manchester
Level Contributor
88 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental to a 19 year old or 20 year old, does it exist?

Does any one know if there are ANY car hire companies that will rent to a 19 or 20 year old? I really want to hire a car this time I visit, I visited last year and had to use the I-ride and greyhound to get everywhere. Which wasnt a major problem but we were restricted in terms of what time we had to leave the parks because of the shuttle leaving etc.

I have emailed a couple of companies and they have both said the minimum age is 21, its annoying really because even though I am 19 (20 next month) I have been driving for 2 1/2 years with no claims yet someone who is 21 who has held their licence for a year and not necessarily been driving can hire one.

I understand there is a young driver surcharge which I would be willing to pay. Please help I really want to hire a car :(

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
477 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
188 reviews
from US$128.99*
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
131 reviews
from US$118.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
14 reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental to a 19 year old or 20 year old, does it exist?

CarRentals.com works with all of the major rental agencies. If you email their customer support, they should be able to tell you which companies will rent to you and at what rate.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental to a 19 year old or 20 year old, does it exist?

There is a local company with 3 locations in the Orlando area. It is called ACTION Car Rental (actionrac.com); the phone number is (407) 240-2700. They have a location on International Dr., McCoy Rd., & Parkway Blvd. (Kissimmee). The minimum age is 18 and there is a $20 a day underage fee. Hopre this is helpful. Good luck and have a great trip.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental to a 19 year old or 20 year old, does it exist?

The main ones I'd seen specify 21 minimum and those 21-24 have to pay something like $25 a day extra insurance. However;

- I've seen, on another forum, someone from the UK, aged 19, saying they managed to rent through Usave - it may be worth checking (send them an email) make sure you have adequate/full insurance though including damage waiver and liability.

- Rentawreck say that their minimum age is 18, though some locations are minimum 25 - they have a location in Orlando apparently so it would be worth contacting them. The downside is that it would presumably be an older (but safe) car.

http://www.rentawreck.com/info.htm#age

www.rentawreck.com/orlandocarrental.htm

I believe if their location is off airport they will arrange to meet you outside to pick up the car.

Edited: 04 June 2010, 15:55
Manchester
Level Contributor
88 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental to a 19 year old or 20 year old, does it exist?

Thank you so much for your help I think I am going to reserve one with actionrac as they have a location on international drive and their price is pretty resaonable. I am so happy I get to hire a car :)

Is the wavier insurance necessay then as it is quite expensive?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental to a 19 year old or 20 year old, does it exist?

I've just been checking the details in the actionrac website - I would check things out carefully - as I read it CDW is not available to 'underage' renters by which I believe they mean under 25. they say you need to have separate insurance for that. It may be fine if you have your own US car insurance policy or a US credit card. Otherwise you may need to arrange suitable cover elsewhere?

Usually you need two main items of cover when renting a car;

'CDW' - covers damage to the vehicle if you are involved in an accident

SLI - covers injury etc. to third parties.

Without CDW you would be liable for the cost of any damage from a 'fender bender' if it was either your fault or you could not successfully claim off another party. Worst case and the car is a write off you could have to pay them the full value of it.

This is like having 'third party' cover in the UK - may be fine if the car is worth less than say £500, but becomes serious if it's worth say thousands.

You certainly don't want to go without adequate liability cover.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental to a 19 year old or 20 year old, does it exist?

Some of the reviews of rentawreck Orlando are not good I see - but it depends what you want. You need to carefully check all the insurance deals for any of the firms recommended.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental to a 19 year old or 20 year old, does it exist?

If you aren't insured, you will need Liability coverage. If stopped for any reason, you will be ticketed for not having that. CDW is good to have for peace of mind, but not required. Make sure you examine the car carefully before taking it and point out any damage that may already exist, so you are not blamed for it. You should also check with your credit card company because many major cards provide CDW coverage for rentals, but it can be time consuming if you have to make use of it. When you buy it from rental company, it is a much simpler process (turn car in and walk away). Have rented about 40 times and only needed to use CDW twice (cracked windshield and broken headlight...both from debris on highway). You'll have to decide if it's worth the cost for you.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental to a 19 year old or 20 year old, does it exist?

Msrad - bear in mind that the OP is a non US resident - therefore it's very unlikely that they have any US auto insurance on any credit card or similar. It won't be covered via their own auto insurance either.

The insurance needs of non US renter are a whole lot different - that's we Brits mainly book a package that includes the necessary insurances from a UK broker - whoever all those that I know of are min. age 21.

Whilst CDW is not a legal requirement the renter could be in a difficult position if the car sustained major damage or was totally written off.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental to a 19 year old or 20 year old, does it exist?

Good points g0akc...didn't realize insurance coverage might not carry over in the U.S. It seems that the OP was looking for a rental outside of what was offered in packages (requiring min. age 21). The company I recommended does in fact rent to those under 21 visiting from outside the U.S. I thought perhaps OP might have Visa or Mastercard, which often offer CDW or LDW as some rental companies call it. If not...renter would probably need to purchase both types of insurance from rental company to avoid any problems. Personally I always buy the damage waiver, but OP seemed a bit concerned about the expense. However, the expense can be worth the peace-of mind.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,991 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental to a 19 year old or 20 year old, does it exist?

Just to follow up on this, some further infor that may help;

If the car rental firm won't provide CDW there are some places that will arrange it, apparently. Here's one (have not used them)

worldwideinsure.com/car-hire-insurance.htm

The SLI and LDW (CDW) is what would be needed - as opposed to the Excess reimbursement (several firms do excess cover, which takes away the excess charges car rental firms often charge).

Martin has some advice here;

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire

I believe an under-age (under 25, or even under 21) renter from the UK would typically be paying around £350 a week for car rental, for a small car, with insurance. More mature UK visitors will typically pay around £125 - £150 a week depending on the size/class of vehicle.

One could skimp on the insurance and decline the CDW, if they allow that, but you would then be driving a car worth, say, at least $10K on third party insurance.

You don't even need to be driving the car for something bad to happen - if it's not covered for theft it could get stolen, could have a tree fall on it, be hit by an uninsured driver or whatever....