We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney Hurrican Policy

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Disney Hurrican Policy

We are going to Disney in Spetember. We are driving from Wisconsin and have booked hotels along the way that we can cancel up until the day of check in with no fees. We are staying at Disney's POR. We have booked a 7 night stay there and plan to do only Disney, possibly Sea World, and a day or two at the beach. Here is my question:

We were not planning on buying trip insurance as we aren't flying. Since we are going during hurricane season what is Disney's policy for named storrms/hurricanes? Just wondering if we need to worry about travel insurance if Disney's policy won't conver cancellation due to hurricane.

Edited: 05 June 2010, 14:16
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,985 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney Hurrican Policy

Here's what the website has to say:

…go.com/faq/hurricane-policy/

Jennifer

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney Hurrican Policy

Thanks jsmla. I guess I was looking in the wrong spots!

Ok, so only if a hurricane warning is issued. Do they issue a warning for all hurricane category levels?

What kind of threat does a tropical storm have on Orlando?

Just want to get this all sorted out.

Thanks for all the help.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,985 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney Hurrican Policy

There are two levels of "warning"

A hurricane/tropical storm watch means you could experience tropical winds/weather in the next 48 hours. Watches usually cover a pretty broad area.

A hurricane/tropical storm warning means the storm could hit in the next 36 hours. A warning usually covers a smaller area and means a storm is imminent.

Orlando is rarely severely affected by hurricanes. They're pretty far inland. The worst I remember was Charley back in 2004. I think the parks were closed for one day although I believe Typhoon Lagoon and Animal Kingdom may have closed for two days. That was VERY unusual, most storms fizzle out before they get to Orlando and rarely cause major damage.

More likely would be something like Fay in 2008. It was only a tropical storm but it hung around forever and dumped a ton of rain on Disney. I don't believe the parks closed but it was pretty miserable.

This season is supposed to be pretty active but I would think that odds are still in your favor. Those are the only two really bad ones that I can remember in the 20 years we've been going. Our house did get hit by Gustav in 2008 while we were in Disney though! We got a tree through our roof and had no power for two weeks. I didn't want to come home!

Jennifer

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,985 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney Hurrican Policy

Forgot to say that, for the most part, a tropical storm or minor hurricane will just result in one day (or even less) of rain and a bit of wind. Charley and Fay were very atypical. It takes something major to disrupt things more than that because 99% of hurricanes move fast and fall apart very quickly once they hit land. Most of the damage is caused by the storm surge which isn't a factor as far inland as Orlando. You won't see any New Orleans type scenarios there. New Orleans is below sea level and surrounded by water. Fay was unusual because it hung around so long.

At worst you'd probably be sequestered in your hotel and only lose a day in the parks.

Jennifer

Edited: 05 June 2010, 15:24
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney Hurrican Policy

Thanks jsmla. That clears up a lot of information for me.

Love this site! ;)

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney Hurrican Policy

I seem to remember reading that Disney has only closed once for a hurricane and that was in 2004. In most cases the worst thing that could happen is that you could get lots of serious rain. We just put on our ponchos and go out in the rain. A good rain storm seriously diminishes the crowds.

There is some danger that the hurricane may generate tornadoes, but it would be highly unusual if Disney closed because there was a tornado.

They may close certain attractions, but generally the park will stay open. I would not worry about this possibility. Of course, I live here and long ago learned to stop trying to second guess the weather.

7. Re: Disney Hurrican Policy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2010, 06:23