We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving FL to Windsor (Canada) - best place to stop?

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving FL to Windsor (Canada) - best place to stop?

We are driving from FL to Windsor (Canada) next month. We are traveling with 3 kids hence would like to stop probably once along the way for the night.

We have done some long trips with kids but first time making this trip... any recommended places to stop and stay for the night to check out and get some good eats?

Looking forward to any suggestions...or places to avoid...

Special Offer
Kennedy Space Center Day Trip with...
476 reviews
from US$54.99*
US$59.00
Kennedy Space Center and Everglades...
188 reviews
from US$128.99*
Crystal River Manatee Snorkeling and...
130 reviews
from US$118.99*
Special Offer
Coca-Cola Orlando Eye, Madame...
14 reviews
from US$51.99*
US$87.87
Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving FL to Windsor (Canada) - best place to stop?

this trip is about 950 miles so I would say with 3 kids you'll need more than one stop! Probably best just to look on a map and find a place then go to that forum and ask about accomodation etc

newtonhill scotland
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving FL to Windsor (Canada) - best place to stop?

Just a quick question, I take it you have booked your car hire, have you said you are driving to Canada and if so have you incurred any extra charges going out of state. Grandad

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving FL to Windsor (Canada) - best place to stop?

Thanks for your response/help, i appreciate that i cold look up on the map (google etc) but the idea behind the post was to hear from travelers who have done the trip and can give first hand info on dos and donts..

cheers

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving FL to Windsor (Canada) - best place to stop?

@ granddad51

A simple answer to your question is no i have not checked with car hire, completely overlooked the fact that i am crossing the borer. Anyway i will check this out with the car hire (Alamo).

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving FL to Windsor (Canada) - best place to stop?

I understand what the idea behind the post was but this is the Orlando forum, I wouldn't think many people have done that trip. We have driven all over the US, and as by your name you probably have, and we have always looked at a map and gone to that forum for help> Sorry if I was stating the obvious!!

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving FL to Windsor (Canada) - best place to stop?

no prob, i understand where you coming from, you made a good observation that not many would do this trip but quite possible in the opposite direction so appreciate if you could recommend which forum i should look at?

cheers

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving FL to Windsor (Canada) - best place to stop?

Looking at the map Charlotte NC seems to be about half way if you're only going to do 1 stop. So I would pop over to their forum and see if anyone can recomend somewhere decent to stay. Good luck. Rather you than me!! lol !! I would personally take a couple of days to travel up.

UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving FL to Windsor (Canada) - best place to stop?

thanks for that, i guess you are looking at route I-95 N and then I-77 N. The other possibility is I-75 N, thats where i need views from travelers who done either or both!

cheers

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving FL to Windsor (Canada) - best place to stop?

If you are looking at the I-75N you pass very close to Knoxville. Dollywood is very near and definitley worth a stop over for a day. We went to Dollywood a couple of years ago and it was fab. So if you have a spare day it's well worth doing a small detour and staying at Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge and visit Dollywood.. Fabulous>>>>>>>>>

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving FL to Windsor (Canada) - best place to stop?

Whichever route you take, pick up these hotel coupon booklets which you will find at all the Welcome Center rest stops as you cross a state line:

Roomsaver, Travel Coupons, Official Interstate Guide. These booklets also have a web equivalent at:

www.roomsaver.com

www.travelcoupons.com

www.oig.com

The rates here are "walkup" rates but you should have no trouble walking in unannounced and getting a room. Have a second choice just in case.

We have had no problems finding a room in this manner in all our travels.

If you plan your route to go along the Blue Ridge Parkway that will be very scenic.