We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help, thinking of changing plans???

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Need help, thinking of changing plans???

Ok, we are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children; 8, 5, and 4) who will be driving from Wisconsin to Disney in mid September. We are set to arrive September 18 and stay until the 25th. We have thought about changing our plans a little and I am looking for some advice as this will be our 1st visit to Disney.

We have the free dining and have added the park hopper.

We have thought about cutting down on our days in Disney so we can do more along the way. We have thought about cutting down to 5 nights with a 6 day ticket, NO HOPPER.

Would 5 1/2 days be enough to see the parks? Also since we are going in September during a slow time would we be better off saving the money and not getting the park hopper? I have heard that ist is great during busy times but not really needed during slow times.

I have searched old postings but haven't really found an answer for what I am exactly asking.

For more information we are an up and get going early family. We are normally up by 5:30 AM on vacation.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,853 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help, thinking of changing plans???

We hardly ever hop when at Disney. It takes such a long time to get from park to park, usually at least an hour. I would save the money and not bother with the hopper option. I think 5.5 days will be enough to see all 4 parks. Getting early starts will be the way to go. You can take advantage of the morning EMH.

donna

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help, thinking of changing plans???

Aren't y'all staying at Port Orleans?

I like hoppers in the off season because the park hours are shorter. With the hoppers we can go to a park early (or for morning Extra Magic Hours if we're staying on-site) and then go to the park with evening EMH or the latest hours at night. We're not all day park people though and would be heading back to the resort midday hopper or no. After our break it doesn't make much of a difference which park we head to from our resort.

Jennifer

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help, thinking of changing plans???

Yes we are staying at POR.

We have been thinking since it is our first trip we should cut down the length of our stay. My husband doens't want to go to Disney, he is doing this for the kids, so I was thinking it may be better for us to cut down on our stay. I figure if he doesn't get sick of DIsney I may stand the chance of coming back.

Plus with prices and the rocky construction job market the more money I can save the better. If I can save $600-$700 by cutting down 2 days and dropping the hopper and another $1300 by driving that woudl feel wonderful. But I want to make sure that 5 1/2 days will give us enough time to see the parks.

My husband is really set on the park hopper but now that we are cutting down to 5 1/2 days I think we may be better off without it.

I just hope I am not killing our vacation by cutting some things and trying to save money.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,052 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help, thinking of changing plans???

The first time we went we only stayed 5 nights (so we had almost 5 full days). We did just fine (even fit in a water park visit). We were on the go all day. I think sometimes stopping in the middle of the day and going in pool or napping is a waste of time (but my kids were older), so it depends on your kids. We went in the pool at night. I went with the attitude that we will do what we can and I hope to go again. Luckily we went again 4 years later and are going again this August (third time) but now this time and last stayed 6 nights. You said you all wake up early so that will be an advantage. I didn't believe till we did it once last time (rope drop), we did get tons done. So don't worry you'll do great. As for the hopper we always get it (sometimes we're in one park and then want to have dinner at epcot for example so need a hopper. But in September you probably could do without it and save some money.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help, thinking of changing plans???

We do go several times a year so that plays its part. Back when the kids were little and we spent most of the day in the parks we probably could have given hopping a miss-all multi-day tickets were hoppers back then.

My hubby isn't a Disney fan either and the thing he hates most is commando style touring. That's why we take it easier and hop these days-ride a few rides in the MK in the morning then a nice nap or swim followed by dinner in drinks in Epcot. His attitude toward WDW has gotten a LOT better since we began taking it a little easier. Couldn't have done that when the kiddos were little though!

One good thing-even though he didn't care for the parks or the rides he LOVED seeing the kids having such a wonderful time. It made the vacation for him.

Jennifer

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
19,308 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help, thinking of changing plans???

We pretty much always use hopper passes. Its a great convenience when one park is too crowded or we want to eat at Epcot without spending the day there.We take a break midday for lunch and a swim and usually go back a different park...but your kids are fairly young and I think you will find plenty to do if you take one park per day-especially if you spend the morning at the park-go back to the hotel-then return to the park for the later activities such as the parade and fireworks.

Shelby Township...
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help, thinking of changing plans???

I bought the Park Hopper option for our June 2007 trip and only used it one time during our 6 day visit. I felt as if it was a waste of money. Even if your family can't handle one park all day, you can always take a mid-day break at your hotel and then head back to the same park that evening. If you are concerned about saving money, this is one option I feel you can cut with out giving up too much.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
339 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help, thinking of changing plans???

If you can save that much money, I'd definitely skip the hopper. You will most likely be plenty busy just going to one park per day. The only way it would get tricky is if you have plans to eat in a different park then you have spent the day in.

When we went a few weeks ago, it was the first time we went without a hopper. But being that we were only in the parks for 2 days, it was fine. We were in the parks from open to close, but still got to see everything we wanted to (and the crowds were much larger than mid-September.)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help, thinking of changing plans???

Someone can confirm but I believe you can buy the tickets now without the hopper option and then when you get there, if on day 2 you really want to have it, then the option can be added to your tickets for the same price I believe is $52 a ticket. Remeber though, it is $52 if you upgrade on Day 1 or Day 5.

Also, if you have just base tickets, you can be at MK, leave for a nap if needed and return to MK later. You just can not go a different park.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help, thinking of changing plans???

You are going at the least crowded time of the year! (Lucky you)

Park hopping, therefore, is not really necessary.

We used the park hopper when one park was so crowded we thought we would try another; We used it when we had dinner reservations at a different park; but mainly we used on extended hour nights. We started out at one park and then moved to the one with extended hours for hotel guests so that we could take advantage of the lack of crowds. The extended night hours go later than you would probably use because your kids are young. When the early morning has extended time it is only 1 hour.

so....you probably can do without the park hopper.