We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire insurance

derby uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
car hire insurance

Hi there,

we fly out on 15 the September for our 4th trip to Orlando, and we are trying to find out what type of insurance we should have with our "free hire car", (which we know never are)....its with alamo, via first choice, and we tend to get talked into all the extras as they make it sound as if they are all required/desirable, at the time you check in.

we want to be safe and sure without going over the top........any help would be much appreciated.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire insurance

Confirm with your own insurance company what is covered when you hire a car outside the UK: collission, liability. You will be responsible for your deductible just as if you were in an accident at home. If you have those coverages already and are comfortable with your deductible, I would not pay for any other.

Personal property and roadside assistance are acceptable risks in my opinion.

Liability risk in the U.S. is greater than in the U.K. If you are not covered, worth paying the tab, disgusting as it is.

derby uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire insurance

great help stumpy.........they have this great american way of over selling dont they!!!!!!

Warwick
Level Contributor
412 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire insurance

Have look at this policy, it is reccommended by Daily Express and Money saving expert.

www.insurance4carhire.com/usa_canada_31.asp…

Covers up to 31 days on each rental for £109 a year.

Or

Hire your own car, we used UScarhire, got a intermediate car for £135 per week full insurance including excess waiver. You pay in £ so you dont have to worry about falls and rise's in exchange rate.

Cars are collected from Almo/Dollar/Budget yet works out cheaper than travel companies own insurance.

If you have CDW you only need Worldwide cover at £61, this covers any excess. There insurance covers tyres and windscreens unlike hire companies.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire insurance

The best way is to dump the free car and book your own package with someone like Uscarhire.co.uk.

Do Not listen to Stumpy. As a UK citizen you have no cover whatsoever with your own insurance.

Thirdly buying a insurance policy in this country like post above suggests. May not be acceptable to car hire rental in the US.

If you pick up your "Free Car" and try yo use you independent insurance policy (as above) it means that someone has provided you with an expensive bit of kit for two weeks and is not going to collect a cent for doing so. And neither the car rental company (who has a lot invested in this car) is not going to get a cent out of it. Neither is First Choice who have provided them with a mug.

And they will almost certainly not hand over the keys. They will say that the counter staff are not qualified or have the time to read the policy.

It appears you have been in he past and should know that these so called free deals are dependent on you paying over the odds for the insurance once you arrive at the rental desk , so that the rental company can recoup some of its money its laid out to buy the vehicle. make a profit, and pay First Choice for the gullible customer they provided.

Warwick
Level Contributor
412 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire insurance

USCarhire is the best deal i have found as it includes excess insurance.

Insurance4hire i have used in Europe only, the insurance repay you if the hire company wont accept policy, cheaper than the 14 euros a day they wanted, i had broken windscreen in france last year 400 euro's was taken from CC.

Sent bill with copy of CC statement, money was in bank account in 10 days,12 months cover for £49!

derby uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire insurance

Many thanks people some good advice there for me to ponder

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire insurance

I did mine direct with Alamo because i organised my whole holiday myself. I do remember reading the first choice florida brochure though and remember that there was a section at the back of the brochure about upgrading the car and adding insurance before you go. I would just go into a fc shop with your booking reference and get quotes. If its a lot then just forget the free car /decline it and sort it out yourself direct it is easy.

Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
259 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire insurance

I've always used carhire3000. But do definitely not use the 'free car' and try to organise your own insurance, etc.

Doug

derby uk
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car hire insurance

Gone with usacar hire..........compact 4door (free upgrade to larger car if available, gold insurance, 1 week 160 quid........many thanks to all that helped

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car hire insurance

robbo; Just remember the up grade might be free but they will re charge the insurance again.