We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basic Planning Questions

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Basic Planning Questions

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Orlando with our 2.5 year old daughter and I had some basic planning questions:

Best time to visit - WHat are the best months to visit, i.e. months when we will have least crowds, nice weather, and if possible free dining, reasonable hotels (I know I am aksing for lot, but this is a wish list, not sure if it can be met)

How many days to plan - I know WDW itslef is huge, but we are not ones to take rides etc. My daughter is also too small, so just will sit on carousel etc. We aremoreintersted in fireworks, parades, and generally get a feel of what we have heard is magical. Also, what apart from WDW is a must see? Have heard of Universal Studios and SeaWorld. How many days are good in all. We werealso thinking if we could combine Miami and KeyWest within the sametrip if we have 10 days or so. Is that possible? Are there any ways to get to get to these places besides flight and car.

Where to stay - Walt DIsney resorts or somewhere else. We will not have a car, so would prefer something from where it is easy to go to the main attractions, and defintely near eating options. How much does a decent hotel/motel cost in that area. I need something which can have a microwave and a mini-fridge.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basic Planning Questions

You may want to look at going in October or November, as the crowds will be lower and the weather will be nice. Partypa can tell you more about Disney free dining but that time of year might be more reasonable budget wise.

If you decide on off-site, there are plenty of hotels in the area that have microwave and fridges or even kitchens! There are plenty of hotels in the area that are reasonable and with the economy the way it is, are offering great prices to compete with Disney.

It`s hard to imagine but to me most Disney`s attractions do not seem midway like at all. There are plenty of entertaining shows like Playhouse Disney live & a broadway type show of Beauty and the Beast at Hollywood Studios and Mickey`s Philharmagic and Monsteris Inc. laugh floor at Magic Kingdom to keep your little one (and you!) entertained.

pa
Level Contributor
54,310 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Basic Planning Questions

The Free Dining Promotion is for stays August 15th - October 2nd

www.wdwinfo.com/discounts.html

You must stay at a Disney Resort and add Park Tickets to qualify for the Free Dining Promotion. It's a very nice deal. There is also a room only discount for that time period so compare costs ( we have found that for just two Adults , your daughter is free anyway, the Room discount works well for reservations at a Deluxe Resort. The free dining can be the better deal if staying at a Value or Moderate Resort )

You can get a Free Quote from Disney or an Offical Disney Travel Agent such as

www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com

September is a great time to go. Still warm enough for swimming and outdoor fun and the crowd levels drop off nicely so the Parks can be managed well

You can check the Paark Hours and Parade and Firework Schedule at

www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/hours.htm

Easy enough to plan your Days that way

Recomended Resorts

Value - Pop Century ( but they are all clean, safe and comfy )

wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/popcentury.htm

Moderate - Port Orleans Riverside

wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/Resorts/portriverside.htm

Deluxe - Wilderness Lodge

www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/Resorts/wildlodge.htm

All the Deluxe and Moderate Resorts will have a Fridge, microwave in the Food Court

For Full Kitchens, you would need to kick it up a notch to a Villa. Would recomend the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge if interested in going that route

You can get a taste of the Parks in 5 or 6 days ( longer is great if you can afford the time ) A trip to the Keys and Miami would be Lovely as well, very relaxing. There are some Tour Company Options if you would rather not rent a car.

www.gatortours.com

3. Re: Basic Planning Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2011, 22:13
Edited: 14 March 2011, 22:13
4. Re: Basic Planning Questions

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2011, 22:13
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
768 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basic Planning Questions

Since your child is not school age yet, you would greatly benefit going at a time in which schools are in session. I have been 3 times in October and it has been very lovely weather and crowds were not bad at all.

Disney trips do require more planning than your average vacation. Many of the best table service restaurants are booked 6 months in advance, even in the low season.

Although I am a very big fan of TripAdvisor, there are a couple of Disney-based websites that have a ton of information, with answers to any question you could dream of:

allears.net

disboards.com

wdwinfo.com

For a child that age, I would focus more on Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. There is very little for a child that age to do at Universal, as they have much bigger rides.

Happy planning!

oz5
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basic Planning Questions

Hi Jim,

can you recoommend some good, safe, clean family accomodation in Kissimmee?

pa
Level Contributor
54,310 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Basic Planning Questions

oz5, will you be visiting the Disney Parks ? will you be renting a car ?

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Basic Planning Questions

I second the thoughts above. I would skip Universal this trip.

If you and yorur husband don't do "thrill" rides and your child is too small, save that for another time. It's not really as good with little ones.

Actually while someone said stick to Magic Kingdon and Animal Kingdom, the Playhouse Disney stuff is at the Studios and there are several things there she might enjoy. I have seen cute little kids LOVE "playing" the ToyStory Midway Mania game. (Yes, you and I know they never hit anything, but they don't care, colors, lights you get the picture) Also, Epcot would be nice for the adults.

SeaWorld is a toss up. Most little kids love animals so it might be a good bet.

The one "caveat" to the Free Dining period... it's the HEIGHT of Hurricane season. (Which is why it started then) So there is a risk of a storm wrecking some havoc on the vacation. Having been at a Disney hotel during a hurricane (which wound up doing very little to the area) they did a great job.

9. Re: Basic Planning Questions

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 31 December 2010, 06:17