We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

delta via atlanta

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Topic
delta via atlanta

has anyone from ireland went this route an if so any information to share please,,

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: delta via atlanta

We are not from Ireland, but flew this route several years ago from Dublin. Claimed luggage for customs, and then luggage taken back by airline to go to Orlando. Had gone through American Immigration in Shannon so no immigration when landing in Atlanta.

Only bad thing was problems with plane to Orlando but that was on domestic end, and it all got sorted out. During delay Delta was very attentive to passengers and their needs.

Enjoy your flight.

Edited: 07 July 2010, 17:53
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,121 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: delta via atlanta

I have never come into Atlanta from Ireland, but Atlanta is the Delta hub, and we land change planes there almost every time we fly. We have come into Atlanta from European destinations several times.

Atlanta has a bad reputation with people who fly, but it is mostly undeserved. I find it very easy to navigate this airport. It is well laid-out with clear directions. Everything is connected by a great transportation system so walking is minimized. I would suggest you study the map of the terminal in the back of your seat pocket on your flight across the Atlantic so you understand the lay-out of the airport before you land.

We have never had any problem moving through customs, and I do not think passport control will be difficult for you either.

If you have a layover go to Paschal's for a meal of southern food.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: delta via atlanta

only have a 2 hour stop over so not much time to eat,,lol good idea about the leaflet showing the map of the terminal will be sure to check that out thanks

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
345 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: delta via atlanta

Jimmy,

U will have plenty of time go get something to eat and get your gate in Atlanta. I have flown with Delta on a few occaisions to Atlanta with connecting flights ranging from 45 mins to a 2 hour waits. So u will be grand

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
359 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: delta via atlanta

thanks for that starting to worry about connecting flight and if we have enough time to get it,,,do u need to take ur bagage when u get there

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,121 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: delta via atlanta

You will have to clear customs with your luggage, but it only takes a few minutes. You pick up your luggage, push it past customs and then it is loaded up and checked for your final destination.

That's what happens to us. Do people entering the US from other countries have to go through customs? I just assume they do, but I do not know. At any rate, it is a quick process. Customs has never even looked at us as we walk past them, let along expressed any interest in inspecting anything we have.

We do 45 minute and even 35 minute plane changes in Atlanta often, and we have never had any problem. Sometimes the flight from Atlanta to Orlando can be delayed, particularly if it is later in the evening. I do not know what happens but it seems as if they kind of get behind as the day goes on. We often wait an extra 15 minutes or so....usually we are waiting for the crew to arrive from another flight. We have never missed our connecting flight there.

7. Re: delta via atlanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2011, 07:18