We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you think the photo pass is worth it?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Do you think the photo pass is worth it?

My family of three, (dad, mom & 8 year old princess), are heading down for a week in August. This will be our second visit. Is the photo pass worth it? What do you get with it?

Thanks all!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you think the photo pass is worth it?

If you think you'll end up buying a 4 or 5 pictures (like when you're entering the parks) from them, it's probably worth pre-paying for the CD before you go for $100. The big thing with that also is the copyright release. The pics are yours to edit and and amend as you wish.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you think the photo pass is worth it?

If you're definitely going to buy the photopass, then pre-pay as it is much cheaper.

If you're unsure, then here's my advice: When you get there you will be handed a photopass card so the Disney photographer can take your picture at the specially designated spots and at all character greetings. You can also hand your personal camera to the Disney photographer and they will take photos of your family (including you in the picture) with your personal camera. In the end, you have about a month to decide whether to purchase the pictures taken using the photo pass. At that time you can compare those against the ones taken from your camera and decide if it's worth it or not.

warwick
Level Contributor
476 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you think the photo pass is worth it?

We have bought the photopass CD each time we have visited, each one has over 300 photos on them, as the photopass is free with no obligation to buy anything you may as well get one sign up to the website and view the pictures and decide whether you want to buy any of the products available after. As the previous poster mentioned you get 28 days to make your purchase and can edit the pictures taken, by adding borders, little characters on the corner of the photo etc.

Also the photographers at some locations will ask the child to hold thier hands in a certain position and when you view the photo later they will have placed something in the childs hands ( our kids had a baby simba in some pictures at AK last year and tinkerbell at MK the year previous) and the upside of it is all the family will be in photos instead of mum/dad taking the picture and missing out.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you think the photo pass is worth it?

Thank you all for your responses. How does it work and is it expensive? I recall giving the photographers a card and then later downloading the pics I wanted to keep? Is that correct?

warwick
Level Contributor
476 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you think the photo pass is worth it?

Have a look at www.disneyphotopass.com most of your questions will be answered there. All photographs taken by one of the photographers will appear on your own page, requires an account to be set up first, then whatever photos you have taken during the day will appear on there later on that day. They also had photopass photographers at Typhoon Lagoon when we was there last year which is good because most dont have waterproof camera so you can get some shots at the waterparks which you normally couldnt get.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you think the photo pass is worth it?

Disney has PhotoPass photographers throughout the theme parks.

Think of PhotoPass as a service and not as a thing.

If you see a PP photographer and you want your picture taken, just go up and ask (or wait in line, as often occurs). The photographer will ask if you have a PhotoPass card; if you don't, he/she will hand you one.

Having photos taken is FREE and you have absolutely NO OBLIGATION to buy anything, ever. You could have them take 200 photos of your family, and you don't have to buy any of them, and you don't pay to get the pictures taken in the first place.

Each time you have your photo taken, you hand your PhotoPass card to the photographer, who will scan it and hand it right back to you before he/she takes any pictures.

At home, you can go onto Disney's PhotoPass website and see all of your photos. At this time, you can choose to buy any individual prints you want, or you can choose to buy nothing at all. You can also choose to get ALL of your photos burned onto a CD; along with the purchase of the CD you get a printed license, a piece of paper that proves that you have the right to print and copy these photos as much as you like because you own the images (as opposed to a professional photographer owning the images, which would make it illegal for you to copy them).

Before your trip, you have the option to pre-buy the PhotoPass CD at a discount. That is, if you pay in advance, you can buy that PhotoPass CD for less money than if you paid for it on the website after your trip.

I hope this helps you understand how the PhotoPass system works.

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you think the photo pass is worth it?

Yes the individual photos cost $20 each to purchase so the photopass is definately worth it.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,213 posts
1,638 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you think the photo pass is worth it?

Its worth it especially if you take the current pre purchase offer for $99.

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you think the photo pass is worth it?

would just like to add an observation that i have made on my last two trips.

Before the introduction of the photopass, photographers used to jump out at you everywhere we went wanting to take photos. However since the photopass was introduced we noticed that every photographer had a queue of people waiting to take a photo. Ok i admit it was nice when you queued up for characters they would take the photos but other places you would have to wait and this wasted valuable time (in my opinion) you know, by the epcot ball, by the tree of life and so on.

Also the only ride photo you could have added was test track (not sure if that has changed) the rest you still had to buy. Also we had several of our photos not appear on our card, we had around 50 taken the first time and only around 20 appeared (some were not even of us!)

Im sure that some of the early problems with the cards have been smoothed out but they were still queing for the photograpthers at christmas.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you think the photo pass is worth it?

I prepaid $99 for the photopass CD and it was worth every penny. My sister was going with her family too, so we spilt the cost. There were not huge lines at the photo pass photographers so wasting valuable time waiting in line was not an issue. We now have the most beautiful family photographs taken in front of the Epcot ball and in front of the castle at night. We were able to edit them and add borders. They can do add ons into the photos and they are pretty terrific. They added Stitch, Tinkabell, balloons, baby Simba to name a few. The photographers are available in the waterparks. They have my kids each coming down Summit Plummet in Blizzard Beach and we have several in Typhoon Lagoon. One with the wave about to hit us in the wave pool. So fun. The whole experience was great. We had our pictures taken by an awesome photographer in front of France in the World Showcase. He had me sit on my husbands lap and he also took a picture of us in a kiss. There is the Eiffel Tower in the background and a fountain. That's a sweet picture and something we wouldn't have otherwise. We had 202 photos taken in the park and with the borders we ordered on the prints, that number went up to close to 600 photos. Now I can turn those photos into a photo book much cheaper than being done at Disney. I couldn't take a beautiful night shot of us in front of the castle but the photopass photographers sure did. I would highly recommend that you get the cd. I'm so happy that we did. We didn't think the kids would enjoy the pictures but they did. They each got a small photo card on a rubber band in the waterparks. Try to have all the pictures on a few cards. Don't keep getting new cards. You can combine all of your photo cards in Downtown Disney onto one card. They did that for us and gave us two cards. My sisters worked and mine did not. I kept all the other cards and also called Disney where the loaded her card into my account. Have fun with it. The best $99 we spent. Disney is so expensive anyways so adding another $100 is not an issue.