We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sat Nav? Please advice

yorkshire
Level Contributor
313 posts
Save Topic
Sat Nav? Please advice

I am taking my daughter to Orlando in February, we have been every year since 2001. However my hubby won't be with us this time and he always drives. So I am wondering if I should get a sat nav, as its the first time driving for me.Will it be programmed with shopping malls, seaworld, disney etc. We usually go with Alamo and never had any problems. Why am I so nervous? I have driven for over 30 years and completed an advanced course for my job. Please help :-(

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sat Nav? Please advice

Driving in orlando is easy, for there i wouldn't need a sat-nav, we did take one this year but solely for coming back from Busch gardens as signs are non existant coming back to Orlando.

West Kilbride...
Level Contributor
972 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sat Nav? Please advice

We got a Sat Nav last year, and it saved us so much grief as we always manage to get lost. Also we were flying into Sanford then driving down to Fort Myers Beach. If you think it'll make you feel more comfortable, then I would go for it.

We hired our car thru Dollar, and I think it was something like $10 a day. It was programmed with all the places we wanted to go i.e. Disney Parks, Malls etc.

I've bought a cheapo Sat Nav from Ebay, and I'll buy the USA maps before I go as it'll work out cheaper. I believe you can also pick them up for a good price in Wal Mart.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,221 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sat Nav? Please advice

How did we ever get along woithout them? I use mine always when in Orlando. I got mine at CompUSA or Staples online? It was about $80 and worth every penny.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,879 posts
1,922 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sat Nav? Please advice

I use a Sat Nav here and used it in Orlando and I would say yes.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sat Nav? Please advice

If you have passed a advance driving course in Britain. you wont have a problem and you wont needs a Sat Nav particularly as you have been before.

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sat Nav? Please advice

I would get one just for peace of mind.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sat Nav? Please advice

Tracy turnip: Which route are you taking to Fort Myers beach?

Are you following the sat nav on the longest and crazy route , Or just taking. the the shortest and quickest

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sat Nav? Please advice

Definitely get one, this way you can get off the beaten path and go wherever you want and still have the confindence to get back to your hotel.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,221 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sat Nav? Please advice

What's an advance driving course and how does it help find and navigate Orlando?

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sat Nav? Please advice

An advance driving course is one which has much higher standards of driving than just a standard driving licence and need much achievement skills to get one. Police, Fire Ambulance and specialized services need them . Along with driving school instructors. Our standard driving test is much tougher than yours and takes and hour with a government examiner sat at the side of you. These are taken in the toughest places in town and high traffic areas. And as usually involved 25 to 45 lessons out on the road with a driving school instructor. And a theory test in school room conditions before you even get in a car . That's beside any practice students get from parents. In fact is almost impossible to pass a driving test by parent tuition alone. Its not uncommon to cost students £500 ($750) in driving lesson fees before they get their licence. Some public service bus companies often need employees to have one when apply for a job.

Usually these people have a good sense of direction and that's all you need to drive in Orlando A kid of 8 could find its way around, as its almost impossible to get lost in.. Roads are well signed posted. . laid out on a grid system. Use road numbers where all roads running east west are even numbers,and odd numbers for north south. Most British visitors confine then selves to a comparative small area of land from airport to Universal, & Disney a triangular plot less them 30 miles square.

You want to come and have a drive on some of our city areas where roads go in all directions. They ran out of signs when they built them and 40 % of the roads are one ways streets. Where you have drive three quarters of a mile to get to place only 100 yds away. And parked Chelsea Tractors line both sides.