We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January in Orlando?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
January in Orlando?

Hello Orlando officials - your thoughts please?

We have reconsidered our travel thoughts / plans...and are thinking maybe the January trip should be to Orlando for our 6 year old. We may tack on a 5 day period on the gulf coast....

Are we crazy to go to Orlando in January? Will Disney be a good choice? Will we be able to swim in the pool? Should we bother heading to the gulf coast or will the weather be the same?

With 4 adults and 2 children what hotel or condo recommendations do you suggest? A tonne of questions but I am very grateful for and looking forward to any responses please!!

pa
Level Contributor
54,302 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: January in Orlando?

Crowd Levels will be Low but Weather could be iffy. Average High is 72* Average Low about 50*

All the Disney Resort Pools are Heated quite nicely, we swim any time of the year

If Disney Is Your Destination, I highly recomend a Disney Resort.

Value - Pop Century

wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/resorts/popcentury.htm

Moderate - Port Orleans Riverside

wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/Resorts/portriverside.htm

Deluxe - Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge

www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/Resorts/wildlodge.htm

www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/aklodge/index.htm

Your 6 year old will Love any of them

Be sure to check for Winter discounts, January does have lower rates but every little bit helps

www.wdwinfo.com/discounts.html

The Gulf Coast is a nice break from the Parks, weather will be about the same

chicago
Level Contributor
112 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: January in Orlando?

Jan is really hit or miss. Been there a few times in Jan and it's been okay. Parks are not as busy. Restaurants are easier to get into. Parks are not as busy. (Did I mention that?). Pools will be iffy. It was about 50/50 for each trip. Some days were warm and in the 70's but most were mid 60's and cloudy. Gulf Coast was nice and defiantly nicer than the East Coast. Water was much warmer in Clearwater as opposed to Daytona.

You shouldn’t have too much trouble finding or booking a nice hotel with maybe an indoor pool or heated outdoor pool that time of year.

I will say that going there during winter will really amplify your appreciation, especially if winter means cold and snowy.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January in Orlando?

Thank you for your responses!

I think that WDW resorts are out - I have suggested them to one of the gparents....they are adamant that a better fit can be found off site. I am sorry - I know.

With that - what recommendations might you make for an indoor pool or heated pool hotel / condo etc...I have a list as long as my arm of hotels...but I can not make heads or tails of it...plus heated pools?

I agree that although we wont be getting tropical weather....we will be avoiding (hopefully) the snowy cold weather of our Ontario Canada home...and I am a big fan of spring time warm weather rather than humidity of ferocious Canadian summers so I think as long as we aren't in the 30's and 40's I should be happy. Pools are good but at the end of the day - Mickey and his pals added to a gulf coast visit should be the right mix....

Suggestions for a reasonable location on the gulf coast? Clearwater? I have been to Marco Island a million years ago...and Sanibel even longer ago....

I am really excited and overwhelmed all at once!!

Thank you!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January in Orlando?

You will find other threads on here about going in January and February. Most are not favorable due to the iffy weather. My daughter went once and ended up freezing most of the time wearing long pants and coats. IMHO I wouldn't go to Orlando ever in January and have been there myself in February. It was never warm enough to swim in my opinion so we never donned our suits. The weather however wasn't bad but cooler than I would have liked. good luck with your decision!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January in Orlando?

Please be aware that the Tampa/St. Pete Beach area was in the freezing temperatures during January this past year.

Other years it has been mild in January, but only the hardiest of people would be willing to go swimming in the Gulf during January. We, who live here, do not even consider swimming in January.

If you want to take in the beach during January in Florida I would suggest the Miami Beach area as it will be warmer than the St. Pete Beach/Clearwater, maybe not enough to allow swimming in the Atlantic, but warmer.

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January in Orlando?

The water on the Gulf Coast is not warm in January. I have tried it, screamed, and ran right back out. Water temps tend to be in the low 60's in January (think of the St Lawrence in the summer). The water at Cocoa Beach is usually a little warmer that time of year, but not much. The air temps will be a little warmer on the Gulf Coast, but as stated above January is very hit and miss. There may even be four seasons in a week.

hampshire
Level Contributor
196 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January in Orlando?

Check out the Fountains resort on I Drive, we are going in January and staying at the Fountains , not too sure if the pool is heated but it does go indoors, they offer 2 bed condo maybe more, we always go between Nov and Jan Brits Winter are always cold so anything above 2/3 degrees is going to seem warm, so long as it stays dry just wear clothes for the climate and enjoy!

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: January in Orlando?

So is the general consensus of the weather being "iffy" in January just that it can be cold? How much is rain a factor? (sorry don't want to hijack your post, just curious)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: January in Orlando?

Imo I woudl forget about jan or feb, or mayeb even march, go sometime else, the weather plays a big part in the fun, as its no fun queing for rides in cold weather. not to mention the wet rides might not be on, and theres usually more things having work done to them.

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: January in Orlando?

The rain is usually iffy too. During Thankgiving through the end of February, there are usually a series of cold fronts that blow through. It will rain, get cold, warm up, and then do it all over again. Last year was very cold for an extended period of time.

For real, it might be 80 one day, and a few days later, there might be a hard freeze at night.