We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mystic Dunes-Having second thoughts

Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mystic Dunes-Having second thoughts

Like an idiot I didn't read the reviews before booking a getaway and now am totally apprehensive! The reviews with cockroaches & power time share sales scares me along with the most recent-BED BUG bites....Our intent was to go for a relaxing week (no Disney) w/ preteen daughters before school starts-we are going on a guest cert. through my mom's timeshare and am wondering if I should just cut my losses and find somewhere else to stay....any opinion?

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mystic Dunes-Having second thoughts

Mystic Dunes on Old Lake Wilson Rd? That's surprising ... just had some relatives stay there for two weeks (also on a timeshare). They thoroughly enjoyed it - no complaints at all.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,142 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mystic Dunes-Having second thoughts

I can understand your apprehension. It is rather unusual to see so many really bad reviews of such a large property that still retains #3 TA rank out of 17 hotels in Celebration. Makes me wonder what type of reviews the other 14 are getting.

This is a property that has been bought and sold a couple of times and is operating as both a time-share and "owners'owned" adventure. This might explain some of the differences between experiences. If you stay in a unit owned by a person then generally how the unit is decorated and maintained is up to the individual owner. Some may be luxurious and some may be shabby. There is probably no way to know what type of unit you will receive until you arrive.

The time-share units are probably owned by Mystic Dunes, and it sounds as if they are badly in need of some updating and attention to maintenance. Again, it is possible that they are in the process of doing this so some rooms might be better than others.

Whether or not you decide to stay there would, for me, depend upon what I had already invested in the place. If you can get out of the reservation without losing money, I would find someplace with better reviews.

If it is going to cost you more money to move to a different hotel I would go prepared for the problems others have encountered. I would call and ask what the best time to check-in is to avoid the one hour line discussed in the reviews.

I would take a bottle of cleaning solution with me as well as a sponge so I could feel that the bathroom and kitchen were completely clean. (I do this whenever I travel, but I am a bit crazy about clean bathrooms/kitchens). If you are really worried about the condition of the linen pack your own. I have a grand-daughter who always takes her own bed linen.

An occasional cockroach does not bother me. It's Florida and one can enter even the most fastidious home. If there are many cockroaches I would be concerned, but I think most reviews only saw one or two. That is certainly not great, but nothing about which I would become upset.

Bedbugs are serious business, but I really did not read a review that confirmed there were bedbugs. If anyone writing those reviews had actually been bitten by bedbugs I think we would have read different reviews.

Bedbugs are a huge problem right now. They have been found in the most expensive five star resorts in the US. There is no guarantee that you will not encounter than regardless of where you stay.

When you get into your room, pull the bedspread and top sheet well away from the bottom sheet. I usually fold them in fourths and put them at the bottom of the bed. Then look carefully at the bottom sheet. If you see anything that looks like large pepper flakes, or anything that is moving, remove your suitcase and demand a new room (at a new hotel if necessary). Do not unpack your suitcase or do anything before you check for bedbugs.

I watch my bed for thirty minutes or so, without turning on the lights. If the sheet remains clean I unpack and get settled in.

I have not stayed at this property, but my guess is that it has some great outdoor spaces for a relaxing experience for you and your daughters. I suspect some units are shabby and some are better. I think I would still be willing to give the property a chance.

As for the time-share people. They are the scourge of the state. You do not have to permit them to intimidate you. You are in control of your own life, your own time and all of your own decisions. I look them straight in the eye and tell them there is absolutely no way I will attend a presentation, and I am not interested in time-share purchases......or, I act really excited and ask them if they think I can really purchase a time-share because I have no job, my home was just repossessed, I have filed for bankruptcy twice and the only reason I am at the hotel is that I was homeless and a nice person gave me a week's stay. (OK - I have only done that twice with truly obnoxious people, but it really worked)

Mystic Dunes cannot legally prohibit you from using the amenities on the property regardless of whether you attend a time-share presentation or not. Simply ignore the promises and threats and get on with your vacation.

I would love to read what you ultimately plan to do regarding Mystic Dunes.

Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mystic Dunes-Having second thoughts

Busy-retired, thank you for such a detailed response. I especially appreciate the suggestion on how to check the bedsheets and what to look for! Great responses for time share pressure too!! My husband is of the same view-let's prepare for the worst and see for ourselves when we get there. We can't cancel so he thinks it's worth a shot.....And yes the pool facilities are what led us to choose this property for a lazy/relaxing week. From what we had to choose from on the "getaway" list from my mom's timeshare network this one seemed to have a great pool area....Once again your response is truly appreciated! I will definitely post a review after our week long visit!

Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mystic Dunes-Having second thoughts

Hi Chuts the reviews I am reading are for Mystic Dunes in Celebration on Mystic Dunes Lane.....Thanks!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mystic Dunes-Having second thoughts

Sounds like the same one to me ... Mystic Dunes Lane is the road running through the property and the entrance to the property is on Old Lake Wilson road.

Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mystic Dunes-Having second thoughts

Hi Chuts-it's good to know your relatives were there for 2 weeks with no complaints! I hope we have the same experience. After reading reviews on the resort I got a little scared-but hopefully we will have an enjoyable stay too! Thank you!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
843 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mystic Dunes-Having second thoughts

I went through the same problem. I booked and then read awful reviews and came close to changing many times. However, I stuck to my original plans and had the best holiday ever. Mystic Dunes, in my opinion is fab, I didn't see one timeshare seller, 2 bed'm condo was fab and pool was great. I never had a problem at check in either. I know every one has their own opinion but for me Mystic Dunes was GREAT!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mystic Dunes-Having second thoughts

That's good to hear WalesSid ... guests may have an axe to grind for one reason or another and you have to take those negative comments with a huge grain of salt sometimes.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mystic Dunes-Having second thoughts

If you don't like your unit see if they can change it for you. They may be able to. I hope it turns out okay and you have a great time.

Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mystic Dunes-Having second thoughts

WalesSid, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.......hearing others had good experiences is more reassuring. I am glad you had a great vacation! I will be posting after ours! Thanks!