We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending money... please advise!

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Spending money... please advise!

First timer here! Hubby and I are going April/May 2011 and have planned 8 nights in NYC followed by 15 nights in Orlando.

Flights have been booked and paid for. Park tickets also paid for. Accomodation has been reserved but am always on the lookout for better deals.

For three weeks, we had planned on taking about $1500 in spending money, which includes transport (taxis/tube) and food (however we have breakfast included at our hotels) and tourism in NYC.

Though, for Orlando transport I was going to pre-purchase LYNX 7-day passes for us in advance, so that cost won't be in there.

What do you guys think? Enough or underbudgeted?

London, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending money... please advise!

obviously it depends on what shopping you plan on doing and where you eat but i would be a little worried with that budget, i would budget that for nyc alone, but i like to shop, i would plan on $100 a day basis at least.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending money... please advise!

I find that low too. I would double that. NYC is very, very expensive. Just to eat there is going to cost a fortune. Not to mention some shopping, transportation, shows and attractions. I could never do it on 100.00 a day. I could if I wasn't eating but that isn't going to happen.

North Wales
Level Contributor
754 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending money... please advise!

We have just come back from a similar tour- 4 nights in New York and 13 nights in Orlando. We stayed in Times Square in NY and the Marriott Harbour Lake in Orlando. You're most welcome to contact me directly with more focused questions about costs. Your question is very difficult to answer unless you are more specific about your eating preferences, etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending money... please advise!

That amount wouldn't last me a week! But I do like to shop! I do think that is quite low though especially as you are in the US for over 3 weeks, and as you are doing NYC aswell, I think you'll need at least double that

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending money... please advise!

Blimey only $1500 for 3 weeks for to people! I take it your not shopping in NY?

I take about £600 which pays for food and gitfs etc for two weeks in Florida alone, and my hubby usually spends about the same, your spend a good £200 each over the two weeks in Florida for food alone..

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending money... please advise!

We're not really shoppers, to say, just trinkets and souvenir type stuffs, but I'm rapidly getting the picture that $1500 is definitely not enough!!

Windsor
Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending money... please advise!

:O that's like my shopping budget alone lol xxx

London, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending money... please advise!

it really does depend on what you do/buy/eat and can vary alot, when we went b4 as a family of 3 (we are now a family of 4 :O) on one trip to orlando for 2 weeks we spent £3000 and just about made it with that, the following year we spent £1200, both great holidays so it can vary alot!! lol

Scotland
Level Contributor
553 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending money... please advise!

Having been to both Florida and NYC, I'd say that $1500 is not going to be enough.

I found that meals in NYC would cost aroung $40-60 for 2 PER MEAL (not even "expensive" restaurants) This was without any alcohol.

Souvenirs aren't too bad though.

When we go to Florida for 2 weeks we take £1000 each and i wouldnt say that we're major shoppers either.

You can eat cheap at the all you can eat buffets if you want - around $12 each.

As I said above, we're not really shoppers here but when you see jeans for $19 and trainers for $10+, you might change your mind!

The other option is to get currency and then take cards in case you need more money

Any questions feel free to send me a Private Message

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending money... please advise!

If it were me, I would bring $4,000. NYC is very expensive. My family of four can blow through $500 on one weekend day like nothing, and that is not even visiting any attractions we have to pay for or staying in a hotel. That is a day trip. Better to have brought too much then too little. You can always bring money home.