We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we being silly?....

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
414 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Are we being silly?....

....by not going to Universal? We are 2 adults going to disney for the first time in 5 weeks! eek! I have been disney mad all my life so the hol is disney orientated-staying onsite, QSDP, character meals, photopass, MNSSHP, water parks etc all booked. We are also booked to see cirque and have tickets for seaworld (BOGOF! Bargain!) We want some time by the pool and have set a full day aside for shopping! We decided not to do Universal as we aren't keen on big (upside down) rides or simulater ones and we have no interest at all in Harry Potter. I'm now wandering if we're being silly going all that way and not going? If we did go it'd be for 1day 2parks and the cheapest I've seen is £83 each. Seems a lot for one day! Would we be missing out if we didn't go taking into account what we aren't interested in? Thanks in advance!

england
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are we being silly?....

No you are not being silly...i have not visited universal for the past three trips..even though i was there for a month at christmas we never went.

If its not something that will interest you then dont go..sounds like you have enough to keep you busy for a first trip already.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are we being silly?....

Personally I don't think you're being silly. If you don't like big rides/simulators and have no interest in HP then stick with your Disney plan. You can always go to Universal on your next trip!!

We have been many times and sometimes have just done Disney. You will love Cirque, it's fab. Which character meals have you booked? O'Hana breakfast is my favourite with Stitch, he's bonkers!!!! Which hotel are you staying at? We have never been in Oct so haven't done MNSSHP but have done MVMCP which is fabulous as I'm sure MNSSHP will be. Have fun :)

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,779 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are we being silly?....

I don't think you're being silly either. We haven't done Universal in years. There is just so much to see and do at Disney that I think your time is going to fly by. I don't think you'll regret your decision at all. Have a wonderful trip.

Donna

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are we being silly?....

Yet on this forum if you mention about skipping disney you tend to get flamed......

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are we being silly?....

We're staying at Saratoga Springs-got a free upgrade from POR! :-) We've booked Donalds breakfast, garden grill, chef mickeys and crystal palace! Can't wait!

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are we being silly?....

If you aren't huge fans of Harry Potter or big rides then I think you have more than enough on your plate!! We missed Universal the last time to concentrate on Disney, this time we did it the other way - even though we were there for 3 weeks we missed Disney as we have been before, and also been to Paris and LA - all 3 in just over 3 yrs so Disneyed out!! If you've never been to Disney - or the Orlando Disney then the 4 parks and the 2 waterparks will be more than enough for you - got the heat to think about too!! If you try to do too much you will end up needing a holiday at the end of it - trust me - been there done that one!!

Lou73

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are we being silly?....

Not silly at all, we are the other way round, we dont do Disney, we just do US/IOA Seaworld and Busch Gardens.

Its a lot of money if your not into that sort of thing, and just think how many prezzies or meals you could buy for yourself with that money you save!

You can always do it next trip!! lol

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are we being silly?....

Oh you're going to love SSR. We are DVC members and SSR is our home resort. It's a quick 5 minute walk over to DTD, check out Raglan Rd, great band and good food. Not Sundays though, no band on Sundays.

We'll be there in Nov, Can't wait,

Have fun, oh and if you get time check out ESPN at the Boardwalk, great barman called Jim, best at Disney.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are we being silly?....

Thanks for the tips USlovers! We chose SSR over OKW so we could walk to DD! I think everyone has reiterated my gut feeling about sticking to disney!

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are we being silly?....

to answer your headline. MAD AS A BOX OF FROGS IN PARTY HATS!!! :-)

i think ive found my complete opposite. we're going on our 6th visit to orlando and only doing universal, NO DISNEY!!!

however, after reading your post you probably wouldnt benefit from too much time at universal. BUT and its a big but. if you have the time i would definately find 1 day for the 2 parks. they are amazing just to look around and have plenty to see and do without the big rides.

hope you dont mind but can i give you some advice. SOME TIME BY THE POOL???? nnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooo!!!!! why?????? if you want a relaxing day, do a water park. theres no pools that come close to them. and it can be as relaxing as you want. as i said this will be our 6th visit, we have no kids. and have never spent a day by our hotel pool.

anyway back to universal. try to do 1 day at the 2 parks and stay on for city walks at night.

in my humble opinion, after 6 visits, universal parks are THE best in orlando. city walks is THE best place to visit in the evenings in orlando. and the area holds the HARD ROCK HOTEL. the best hotel ive ever stayed at. quite simply UNIVERSAL ORLANDO area is unmissable.