We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WDW: Value vs. Moderate hotels

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, NC
Level Contributor
107 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
WDW: Value vs. Moderate hotels

So I realize that this topic has probably been discussed many times over... I have done days of back-and-forth research and I can't seem to get a straight answer to help make up my mind.

My husband and I are looking to go to WDW this Winter and can't decide if we should stay at a Value resort or a Moderate one. (We are looking at the Pop Century or the Port Orleans Riverside). There is about a $300 difference between the two (and if we go during the "free dining" promotion, there is also a better dining plan for the Moderate hotel.)

Is it worth the money to stay at the Moderate? Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

pa
Level Contributor
53,702 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: WDW: Value vs. Moderate hotels

The Value Resorts are fine but the Moerates are a very nice step up, IMO and well worth the extra $ :)

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WDW: Value vs. Moderate hotels

IMO Yes. The rooms are bigger, set out better and the grounds and landscaping much nicer at the moderates. POR is a lovely resort and very popular on this forum. Given the choice between value & moderate (unless it was going to break the bank) I would always opt for the moderate.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WDW: Value vs. Moderate hotels

another vote for moderate if only $300 difference!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,721 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WDW: Value vs. Moderate hotels

I think it really depends on how much you'll stay at the resort. If you'll be there a lot eating or at the pool you might want to stay at the moderate. If you'll just be sleeping and not much else the value is fine. As for the dining plan, I assume with the value you get the QS dining plan and with the moderate you get the regular dining plan. I prefer the regular or deluxe plan to the QS plan but that is a personal choice. I would suggest you weigh what's important to you and then make your decision. Just know that you'll have a great time either way you choose.

Donna

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WDW: Value vs. Moderate hotels

Thank you! So helpful...

I think we are leaning more towards the Moderate resorts then... Is Port Orleans Riverside the best option? I've heard about half of people say the French Quarter one is better than the Riverside one, and the other half are the opposite!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WDW: Value vs. Moderate hotels

They are both very nice. POFQ is much much smaller than POR, you can walk between the 2 and use both pools. We actually prefer POFQ as there is only one bus stop so no multiple stops dropping/picking people up.

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
10,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WDW: Value vs. Moderate hotels

Hi,

Definately go moderate,if it's in the budget! Here's a link that was supplied by Partypa..It's a really nice video of the POR resort. (sigh)

http://allears.net/acc/g_dxl.htm

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WDW: Value vs. Moderate hotels

Thanks, moose for such a great link!

(I've been on that website for months and never actually clicked on those links!)

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WDW: Value vs. Moderate hotels

I havent stayed at either for a few years, but this is what I noticed as a difference when I went. The things I am going to mention are very small and and really not that important, but here goes...

At that time, at the Value, one had to bring their towel from the room to the pool ( no problem with getting new ones, but just an observation) and at the moderates, the pool had a towel place.

2) At the value resort at that time, the soap, etc. was from a dispenser, but at the moderates, the soap was replenished individually each day.

3) The pools at the value resorts did not have a slide, but the moderates did. My particular favorite is POFQ if you have kids ( the pool has a slide that has the kids sliding out of the mouth of a dragon), and the Caribbean Beach if you are just adults.

Now all this could have changed since then and really you can't go wrong with a Disney Hotel, so whatever your budget allows will be fine.

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
647 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WDW: Value vs. Moderate hotels

The free dining plan is a consideration too--the quick service plan wouldn't suit me at all, I love the character meals and dining at Epcot, etc. But if you're not likely to want to sit down every day, the quick-service plan that comes with the values might work better.

My kids love Pop Century, and it has the best food court, IMO, but the room itself feels a little too "Motel 6" for me, for more than a night or two. Have stayed at the other two mods (Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs), not PO; really liked Coronado.

Good luck making your decision.