We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family fued over where to stay

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
US
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Family fued over where to stay

Mom is paying for all children and grandchildren to visit Disney. Children are fueding over where to stay. One has a toddler and wants to stay in the park to go back and forth. One prefers a hotel outside the park for free breakfast and convenient stores. The third prefers to rent houses for more room and private pool or a hotel outside the park for larger rooms.

We will have cars no matter where we stay. The trip will be during the busy summer season.

Since we would need five hotel rooms, is it worth the price we would pay to be in park? Is park transportation that much more convenient when not all parks or hotels are the monorail?

What about the Downtown Disney hotels? Is their free transportation any good? I've seen some reviews and it looks like the quality really varies.

Thanks!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family fued over where to stay

What about renting a villa?

Florida
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family fued over where to stay

The Downtown Disney hotels may be your best compromise of convenience if you only have one car. Some of the hotels are even close enough to walk to Downtown Disney where you can catch Disney transport instead of your hotel shuttle. If you have more than one car, you may want to rent a villa or home (if you have enough people to fill five hotel rooms, you will be happy to have extra space). You will be able to save a lot on meals, even without a "free" breakfast by having the full kitchen, plus you may have your own pool and other amenities. If you take a couple cars each day to the parks, then those who need a break can leave and return, and the others will have a way back if necessary. There are advantages to staying on Disney property. You receive early morning and late evening access to the parks and Disney transportation is very convenient. Buses run about every 20 minutes to those areas of the resort not accessible by monorail. There are rooms in all price ranges. There is a website allearsnet.com that gives very detailed info about all the resorts on property and the pros and cons of being on site vs. off site. There is also one called downtowndisneyhotels.com that goes into detail regarding the Downtown Disney properties. For home rentals, I suggest a search of the forum, since many of our UK visitors choose this type of accommodation and have lots of info to share.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family fued over where to stay

Well, I think the one who pays decides. Houses rearely rent for less than a week, but some are available nightly at a higher rate so how about splitting the time, 3 nights in the park and 4 in a villa? If you pick one like Formosa Gardens Estates, the houses are all on larger pieces of property and built and furnished to very good standards. Or select a place like Windsor Palms or Windsor Hills as they have not just private pools with their villas, they also have community recreation facilities.

Maybe you this way you can reach a compromise that has everyone equally discontent - that means every one wins and every one loses equally.

However as the bill payer, the villa will be a WHOLE lot cheaper than 5 rooms at Disney!

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family fued over where to stay

This is a tough one. It's very hard to make everyone happy.

While visiting WDW the past several years we have always stayed on site because of our two young children now 5 & 3. We have found that staying on site and having the transportation available to us to hop back and forth was WONDERFUL. Especially while visiting in the hot weather months. Even we needed to go back for some R&R.

However, the last trip in November while we were at the parks we stayed on site, but aftwards we moved to Marriott Grande Vista for a couple of nights. We shared a two bedroom unit complete with a full kitchen with my brother's family. For our next trip to WDW, especially since our children will be older, we might very well consider an off site location. A lot more amenities, roomier and around the same price (if not cheaper).

Splitting up the week at an on site and off site might be a good solution as the previous poster suggested. Everyone gets to see both sides this way. If you have 7 nights I would do 3 nights on and 4 nights off. If you do end up staying on site my favorite is Port Orleans Riverside.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
258 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family fued over where to stay

I agree that spliting the time on and off may be the best solution.

We always book a house now when in Orlando. It works out to be so much cheaper that we would REALLY need to stay in the park to warrant the expense.

We have been using www.allstarvacationhomes.com and booking a "executive" home. They have 5+ bedrooms, private heated pool, computers, game rooms, beautifully decorated, etc...many even have disney-themed decor in children's rooms.

Last time we took one in Formosa Gardens subdivision. It's a few minutes from one of the park entrances. There's a clubhouse at this one with another pool, hottub, gym, little market for sundries.

Great location & lot's of space for everyone, for a bit more than one hotel room!

I found this place through www.allears.net (BTW they have a coupon for free pool heat and a free rental car on the allears website)

UK
Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family fued over where to stay

Go for a 5-bed private villa near to Disney. There are some nice ones at the new resort of Windsor Hills.

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family fued over where to stay

I totally agree with deejay's succinct reply.

Best value, a chance to relax, and time to be Disney free. make sure you get one with the pool as well.

PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family fued over where to stay

Definitely agree - go for a 5 bedroomed villa. They usually have at least 3 bathrooms, swimming pool and are close to Disney, or anywhere else you would care to go. Disney hotels are very expensive and whilst location is good, you might want to "get away from Disney" for a little while. There are a lot of good restaurants, various prices, that do breakfasts if you don't want to have something at the villa. Or make it brunch, to cut out one of the meals! Golden Corral has an all you can eat buffet breakfast/lunch (and I think dinner) which is really good and something for everyone. Good luck!

US
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family fued over where to stay

Thanks to all who posted. Mom has decided that we will all stay at a moderate Disney hotel to provide ease of transportation to the family with the toddler. Since she is paying, I'm not going to complain just because it's not the cheapest option. I also found out that we will only be staying 3 or 4 nights, so I'm not sure I could get a house for this short a stay during peak season.

Thanks again!

Level Contributor
11,355 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family fued over where to stay

She pays and she chooses so everybody is happy.

However in the past I have booked a villa for less than a week and the benefits of that house with the pool and its privacy was so much better than staying on site.