We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Credit Cards in Orlando- some daft questions!!

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nottingham, england
Level Contributor
936 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Using Credit Cards in Orlando- some daft questions!!

Hi all, thanks to the Crown Currency debaucle..we have lost half of our spending money..so Ive applied for one of the 'bettter' credit cards for using abroad (which we will pay off in full when we return).

Now we are seasoned travellers..but always have our spending money saved and allocated..and take in cash and travellers cheques. We only ever use our cc's for the odd purchases. However, this time we will be using it much more frequently and for things like extra park /evening entertainment tix, all restaurant bills, groceries from Publix....and we may need to draw a bit more cash out of an ATM (which I have never needed to do abroad yet!!)

So my questions are..are there plentiful atms around the parks/supermarkets etc?

If we pay for our restaurant bill with cc....how do we pay the tip?.in cash or can you add it onto the bill before paying?

Do you find that most shops/restaurants/supermarkets etc readilly accept cc's....or are there any you know of which dont (so I dont get caught short and embarrased).

Any advice on using cc's in orlando would be gratefully received (its a Halifax Clarity Card).

thanks guys

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,277 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Credit Cards in Orlando- some daft questions!!

CCs are pretty much accepted everywhere there. And ATMs are plentiful.

But, the charged can vary and if you can find one that just charges around $2, use that one. I tend to use the one at my local Publix. DO NOT use the new CC for cash, use your debit card instead. Use the CC for store purchases, not the DC. Tell both banks where you are going and for how long so they don't 'stop' your card.

Tips can be paid on the card, or in cash. Most places if not all will leave the total open and the hand held machine will ask if you want to leave a tip. If you are a party of 6 or more, do check it hasn't already been added. Calculate your tip on the pre- tax amt of the check.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Credit Cards in Orlando- some daft questions!!

There are plenty of ATM's around and most of the parks have at least 1 ATM (usually near the entrance).

Almost everywhere accepts credit cards (including things you wouldn't expect such as Coke machines!)

For tips, you have 2 options. Your credit card receipt will have a blank space where you can add a tip then adjust the total before signing. The alternative is to just leave cash for the tip. We usually do the latter, but if you do this make sure you put a line through the blank park on the CC receipt so it can't be changed after you've signed.

Enjoy.

Pompey
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Credit Cards in Orlando- some daft questions!!

If you have to use an ATM try to get the max amount, If you do get a 'fixed charge' then the % charged is less the more you withdraw.

Tonbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Credit Cards in Orlando- some daft questions!!

As Amanx says please don't use your credit card to get money out of the ATM. You get charged a higher rate straight away and it will be false economy for you. Use it where you can as payment for stuff it is easy. Almost too easy ;-)

Di

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Credit Cards in Orlando- some daft questions!!

Use the card as you would at home - only use actual cash where absolutely necessary - as said above if lifting cash from debit card - check the transaction fee - publix is $2 -we used the one at Vista Cay all the time - but ended up lifting $300 at a time as it was charging same as lifting $200 - and we had to go back quicker!! Most times when using a credit card you will either sign a screen in shops or the slip of paper in restuarants - never used my pin once -only at ATM. In Starbucks you don't even need to sign - they just swipe your card!

I also keep a note of what we have spent each day in a notebook (well this year I did for 2 weeks then knew OH had been paid ;-) its easy to lose track)

Even if you just add up your receipts roughly and keep a note of that figure it will help you stay in control.

Lou73

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Credit Cards in Orlando- some daft questions!!

ps - its also best to carry id of some sort with you as well - depending on the amount or if you have alcohol in your shopping you can sometimes be asked for it - a photocopy of your passport will do if you don't want to carry the real thing.

Lou73

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,277 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Credit Cards in Orlando- some daft questions!!

They will card anyone 60 and under lol.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Credit Cards in Orlando- some daft questions!!

tinker23: using the credit card there is a doddle. We weren't so sure either so took a wedge of cash too - but we found the credit card so easy, we reurned with a good deal of cash left.

We had the Post Office one ( = Bank of Ireland 'behind the scenes') which is great too (I gather the Halifax one is geen as the best one though) - but this one was free to apply, it charges no fee per purchase & calculates the conversion at the prevailing business rate that day for tranactions instead of some spurious rate that the card provider decides to suit themselves.

Bit odd going back to signing for everything (as opposed to PIN no's) but i soon got the hange of it & remebered how to scribble my moniker : )

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,277 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Credit Cards in Orlando- some daft questions!!

The thing I have a prob with is the signing on the electronic monitor thingy. Never looks like my real signature cuz you can't angle it lol.

nottingham, england
Level Contributor
936 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Credit Cards in Orlando- some daft questions!!

Thankyou all so much for your help and advice so far...I really dont know what I would do without the support from this forum!!

We already do have an amount of cash in dollars to take (thank god Crown Currency delivered that back in April!!!!!)...but we are £1000 down, so will have to use the credit card in quite a few places....

With regard to withdrawing cash from it on the ATM's..thanks to your advice, we probably wont do that now..and I will rob Peter, pay Paul..and hopefully rustle up some cash to get changed into greenbacks before we go!!

Thanks again..but if anyone has more advice..please keep it coming!! xx