We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

settle a family ESTA argument

UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
settle a family ESTA argument

When filling in your esta form is it essential that you complete the 'city where boarded' part of the form is filled and the address of where you are you staying are filled in when applying

brighton, england
Level Contributor
488 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: settle a family ESTA argument

Yes.

If you are not sure yet of your plans, put in any address and you can update the ESTA later. Ditto for the where boarded bit.

I was once stopped in Washington immigration and almost not let in because I didn't have a hotel booked yet. It took ages to convince them to let me in. And that was long before it all got much stricter.

Denmark
Level Contributor
12,304 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: settle a family ESTA argument

The Api form needs to know wich place You are staying on the first night .

If on the esta put up for the first time that You are going to say Florida You will fill that out then and the place where You first sleep , but then You are cleared for two years and is not obligetated to update that, but every time You fly You need to fill out the Api form

Mutter

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: settle a family ESTA argument

No it is not essential. The other posters can only be getting confused with the Advanced Passenger Information which is separate from ESTA.

You do not need to complete the carrier or where you are staying on the ESTA form to gain approval to travel.

Edited: 05 November 2010, 23:36
London
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: settle a family ESTA argument

As already stated, there is no requirement to enter carrier, flight or accomodations on your ESTA application, although these can be ammended at a later date.

From the ESTA application form.

City Where You are Boarding

Enter the last city where you will board an aircraft prior to arriving in the United States on this trip. The city where the applicant will board is optional to complete the application.

Flight Number or Vessel Name

Enter the flight number or vessel name for the carrier on which you will be traveling to the United States, if your travel information is available. The flight number or vessel name is optional to complete the application.

Address Line 1

Enter the number and street of the location where you will stay while in the United States. Do not include the city and state in this field. The address is optional to complete the application

Edited: 05 November 2010, 23:48
Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,077 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: settle a family ESTA argument

It is **ADVISABLE** to complete this data on ESTA; not mandatory. It can be done at a later time, after approval has been given, and can be updated for any future visits or changed plans.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: settle a family ESTA argument

I have travelled to the US twice this year and did not complete or update these fields, as others have said they are optional.

All the hotel and flight info required will be completed on the API.

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: settle a family ESTA argument

I did not fill in these fields as i applied for my esta a year before we went so wasn't aware of were we was going to stay and we was even open to where we was flying from (GLAS/MCR/LON/BRS/BHAM)to so i dont think we filled that in either.

We only booked our holiday less than 48 hrs before we went and we informed them of where we was staying etc at the airport as advised via the API. We had no problems.

UK
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: settle a family ESTA argument

Whats an API fellas, sorry havent been for 2 years???

London
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: settle a family ESTA argument

API is Advance Passenger Information.

It's the details that you have to give to the airline before you travel. (Passport details, address whilst in the USA etc)

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,080 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: settle a family ESTA argument

Advanced passenger information.

You gave it last time you went too. But it may have been taken from you at checkin.

Now most airlines have you input it online before you go. So then you c an checkin online and the queues are shorter.