We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Directions Sanford Aiport to Disney (Dolphin)

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
510 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Directions Sanford Aiport to Disney (Dolphin)

Could anyone give me really good directions from Sanford Airport to Disney please. We are staying at the Dolphin if that makes a difference. Thanks so much.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,721 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Directions Sanford Aiport to Disney (Dolphin)

I would follow the signs to I-4 and take it all the way to Disney. About a half hour drive with good traffic. Some people prefer the beltway but it's a toll road and I don't find it much faster than taking I-4, unless it's during morning rush hour. Once you get to the Disney exits take the one for Epcot center. This is the easiest way to get to the Dolphin hotel.

Donna

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Directions Sanford Aiport to Disney (Dolphin)

I avoid I-4 like the plague whenever possible but sometimes it is necessary. Split this between 417 and I-4. I always drive 417 the entire way and loop back up. It is a few miles further drive but stays out of traffic and I-4 except for a short time when you jot back north. However, to give the the "shortest" route, see below. I live not far from the Sanford airport. It will cost you about $4.00 in tolls while on 417. It will take you about an hour. No way you can make it in 30 mins unless you use a helicopter.

1. Head west on Red Cleveland Blvd 0.5 mi

2. Take the 1st right toward E Airport Blvd 0.3 mi

3. Continue straight onto E Airport Blvd 1.9 mi

4. Turn left onto the FL-417 S ramp 0.2 mi

5. Merge onto Florida 417 S Toll road 15.8 mi

6. Slight left at FL-408 W (signs for Florida 408 (West))

Toll road 7.9 mi

7. Take exit 10A to merge onto I-4 W toward Tampa 15.7 mi

8. Take exit 67 toward Epcot/Downtown Disney .1 mi

9. Merge onto Epcot Center Dr 0.7 mi

10. Take the ramp to Epcot Resort Area/Disney's Hollywood Studios

0.3 mi

11. Merge onto Buena Vista Dr 1.5 mi

12. Turn right at Epcot Resorts Blvd Destination will be on the right

0.9 mi

Walt Disney World Dolphin

1500 Epcot Resorts Boulevard

Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Edited: 13 November 2010, 16:47
Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Directions Sanford Aiport to Disney (Dolphin)

ohiovacationer,

It depends on the time of day you arrive.

If you arrive between 7: AM and 9:00 AM or 4:00 PM and 6:00 PM take 417 as above.

If you arrive almost any other time, take I-4. Once you get on I-4 stay in the lane one over from the left most lane. The road will widen and narrow. Lanes will come and go on either side of you but stay in that lane until after you pass the turn-off for Lake Buena Vista. Exit I-4 immediately after Lake Buena Vista. Follow the signs toward EPCOT until you see signs for the EPCOT Resorts and the Dolphin.

The signs are huge. The problem is not the lack of signs but the superabundance of them pointing to places that are close to each other. Make sure your navigator is paying attention once you leave I-4 or you will end up in the EPCOT parking lot.

CTR

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Directions Sanford Aiport to Disney (Dolphin)

Not to be argumentative but having driven from the Sanford airport area to Disney over a period of more than 30 years, every way imaginable both rush hour and not, I'd take my suggested route and routinely beat you there if you go by I-4. The only reason to take I-4 is to save the toll fees. Either way, you will arrive fine Ohio.....

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Directions Sanford Aiport to Disney (Dolphin)

I only frequent I-4 from Conroy Road to Sand Lake Road, mostly weekends and evenings. It has a bad way of slowing down at odd times. Given a choice, I'd use the toll road, which is a relatively new, excellently designed facility with few interchanges (I-4's very busy interchanges cause traffic problems).

Ohio
Level Contributor
510 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Directions Sanford Aiport to Disney (Dolphin)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. One more question since all of you are familiar with these routes where would be the easiest on and off place for a Publix or Walmart. Thanks again.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Directions Sanford Aiport to Disney (Dolphin)

For Publix.......IF you take the 417 route, right after you cross Lake Jessup (about 6-8 minutes after you get on 417 towards Orlando, there is a Winter Springs exit (#4) at #434. If you exit there and turn right, go about 1.5 miles, it is on your right at Winter Springs Town Center. WalMart? Not sure since the closest one to me is actually north on 417 from where you would get on and it is at the Rinehart Road exit off 417 just before you would reach I-4 if you go that route.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
16,746 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Directions Sanford Aiport to Disney (Dolphin)

I think hansboomer meant exit #44 not #4. Assuming you'll be getting at least some cold groceries, I don't think I'd do that - too far from your destination. For simplicity of directions (as well as almost guaranteed low traffic and high speed limit), you could take 417 the whole way. Take exit 6 for International Drive, stay straight off the exit and you'll enter Disney in the Epcot area. Make your 2nd right after you go under the Disney sign following the "Epcot Resort Area" sign to get to the Dolphin. If you want Walmart, turn left at the 1st major intersection after you exit 417 and it is ahead on the right.

If you take I-4 or the 417>408>I-4 combo, you can exit at Sand Lake Rd (74A) for Walmart or Publix. Take exit 67 for the hotel, and, again, your 2nd right after you go under the Disney sign.

I-4 - no tolls

417>408>I-4 - shortest I think

417 - least traffic, highest speed limit, most relaxing/least stressful

Another "benefit" of I-4 or the "combo" route is that it may get you a bit more excited about being here. You'll see the billboards, pass a bunch of stuff, etc. You don't get that with 417. Any of them will get you there.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,063 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Directions Sanford Aiport to Disney (Dolphin)

The Sand Lake Road exit is quite busy, thanks to I-Drive being so nearby. There's also a Whole Foods near the exit (to the west, first left turn from the exit).

On the southern leg of 417, there's a Publix just south of the interchange with Landstar Road (first exit west of a toll).

Kissimmee Florida
Destination Expert
for Kissimmee
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Directions Sanford Aiport to Disney (Dolphin)

I would get checked in at the Dolphin first and then go back out either to the Walmart on 535 just south of 536 at Poinciana Boulevard or the Publix at International Drive South and 192.

From the Dolphin get on Victory Way toward the sports complex. Make a left on Osceola Parkway so you are headed east. (toward the airport) To get to the Publix make a right at the Gaylord Palms. The Publix will be a mile ahead on your left.

To get to Walmart, get off at Poinciana Boulevard. I forget what the toll is. Make a left. WalMart will be a half mile ahead on your right.

CTR