We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't want to miss a thing

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Don't want to miss a thing

Ok I realize this is not possible in 5 .5 days...but if the focus of this trip is my 7 year olds birthday...and we are staying off site to maximize our dollar...what would be the suggestions for priority things to do to fully celebrate his birthday but allow for some fun for adults?

T-Rex cafe?

Do we tell Customer Service at the parks when we arrive that he is celebrating his birthday?

If we are going to do ONLY three parks which three do you suggest?

Other places to eat? See?

We are arriving at 1pm on Saturday our hotel / suite has pools for down time...but what about the "up" time?

We are thrilled!! And I am really hoping that we can get together some great plans to make this birthday very special!!

Thank you !

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't want to miss a thing

Normally when you make a reservation they ask you if you are celebrating anything or if you book on the website a there is a box to indicate celebrations of any kind

Is it next saturday you are going ?

presuming you want all disney parks for a 7 year old & all the focus is on them , i would do MK , AK & DHS, my favourite is Epcot but maybe not a 7 yr olds

L38
manchester, uk
Level Contributor
376 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't want to miss a thing

magic kingdom, universal & IOA(pick your most wanted), seaworld or Animal Kingdom.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't want to miss a thing

Besure to pick up a birthday button from guest services at DTD or the first park you visit:)

How about Chef Mickeys for his birthday dinner, great fun for little boys, and big boys & girls come to that :0) A great way to meet Mickey without having to queue for ages, he'll come round to your table for photos and autographs.

T rex is fun too especially if he is into dinosaurs.

Diane is right if you can only do 3 parks opt for MK, AK & DHS, EPCOT is my favourite too but a 7 year old not so much fun, although there are some cool things for little ones but not as many as the other parks.

You could hire a boat at DTD too this is always good fun.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,662 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't want to miss a thing

You can make reservations in advance specifying that it is for a youngster birthday. Or when arriving at the restaurant just to mention it. They celebrate so many that they always have all the necessary on the spot.

As per the parks, of course Magic Kingdom for one day and then I would suggest Animal Kingdom and EPCOT, the latter is considered more of an adult park but, in fact has many great activities for the young: Nemo at the Sea pavillon, Soarin at Land, all the Imagination pavillon and Helen Energy Adventure(at least the moving portion with the dinausors will be of interest but the bla blah migh be too much). Also Maelstrom at Norway and Rio del Tiempo at Mexico. Plus there are two sit down cinemas that will be great for a nap: France and The Land and also the audio animatronic show at America.

Beside those two I would add Animal Kingdom that is really for the whole family and kids usually love animals. But beware on It's Tough to be a Bug as some kids are more scared by that one than by any other 3 D attraction.

Island of Adventure has a split personality with many attractions for teenagers and yourn adults (lots of roller coaster) but also some interesting options for kids.

If you decide on a fifth park / fifth day then go to Sea World, again for the animal factor.

As per your best strategy I would suggest that you buy the Unofficial Guide to Orlando (or is ti Disney World) with Kids. All kind of nice suggestions and touring plans. So for the moment I will just write that the best strategy is always to arrive half an hour prior to official opening time, you will be admitted to a part of the park and then when official opening happens you will be the first to rush to the most popular rides. In Magic Kingdom I suggest that you do all attractions in Fantasy Land first as those are real slow loaders, finish by It's a Small World that load very well and then venture to the other "lands"

Same for Animal Kingdon where everybody want to rush to Kilimanjaro Safari (you can do it a second time late in the afternoon, the lighting but also the atmosphere will be differen tthen. Epcot is probably your chance to take it easy for a morning at the pool and then head to the park around 2 or 3 pm. This is the park that stays open late in all seasons so if arriving late many visitors will have migrated to the World Showcase section and you might encounter very little wait in Future World, except for Soarin'. Finally Island of Adventure, You return to early arrival and head directly to Harry Potter if your kid is tall eough for that ride. Next door Seuss Landing is really for kids and then touring the park you will find other attractions for kids (ptenarodon fliers) or geared to the whole family. Finally at Sea World I would suggest early arrival too but also that you get the show schedules and work your day around those as this will be the best for your kids, and not the rides.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't want to miss a thing

PHEW!! That is a lot of great information and I will wade through it slowly..

Here are some of my answers and further questions please...

We will be going in May - the 21st through 27th.

Does anybody know about Star Wars weekend returning...

Also - Of course MK but I was wondering about AK...what are the rides there...The safari looks interesting...but it may not be more unique than some similar attractions we have here in the Toronto area...or does that sound totally off base.

Epcot seems really appealing to us as adults and I did wonder if maybe there are things there that the little man would like. He is a bit of a traveller so i think we will consider going there...but the idea of going later in the day is a great one!

Chef Mickeys`- I love this idea...just wondering how far in advance we were supposed to book it...

Wont forget the button....must remember to tell the restaurants!!

Hollywood studios...is this formerly MGM studios...is this a good place for kids...we will have an 18 month old with us.

Any other good restaurant ideas...are there places unique like T-Rex that we don`t want to missÉ

Thanks so much again - we really appreciate the great information!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,179 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't want to miss a thing

Iv'e never been but there is a Sci Fi diner (restaurant) at Hollywood Studios where you sit in a car and eat whilst watching old black and white movies and above you it's like a night time sky with lots of lights(stars) just like a drive-in movie type thing ! I think a 7yr old boy would find this fun and the Lights Motor Action stunt show that is also at HS. :)

pa
Level Contributor
54,705 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't want to miss a thing

I would focus on Disney Parks, all 4, get at least the 4 day Base Ticket ( can add a 5th day for about $6 if you wanted

Each Park will have plenty for all of you to enjoy

www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/themeparks.htm

Have a look at the Park hours and make a Plan

www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/hours.htm

I would have a look at all the Menus now and make your Dining Reservations. If you have your Park Days sorted out you can eat at Restaurants in the Park of the Day or at a Resort Restaurant Near the Park of the Day, that will cut down on transportation

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

You can book Dining on Line 180 days in advance, I highly recomend you start looking and booking ASAP, the more popular ones book up fast

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/

For fun Birthday ideas

http://allears.net/pl/bday.htm

Favourite Birthday Venues include Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Cape May Cafe, 50's Prime Time, Whispering Canyon

Dates for the Star Wars weekends have not been announced yet, stay tuned to

wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/…st-starwars-weekend.htm

uk
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't want to miss a thing

we've been lucky enough to take our children to celebrate their birthdays (DD 4 in 2005, DS 5 in 2009) and just having that big birthday badge (from Guest Serevices upon arrival) makes them a star for the day. We had a character breakfast (Crystal Palace in MK) on both occasions and the table was sprinkled with confetti. They had a little cupcake with a candle and a birthday card signed by all the characters. Those photo's still bring a tear.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't want to miss a thing

To focus on Epcot, I think this park would be a good one for everyone to enjoy for a day.

While you are circling the World Showcase, you can get the kids passports to check in at each country and get stamped. Also, there is the Kim Possible Adventure. Great fun while the adults are enjoying the sight seeing and shopping aspects. …go.com/parks/epcot/attractions/kim-possible/

Future World has lots. Soarin, Test Track, Spaceship Earth, Nemo and Turtle Talk with Crush to name a few.

Animal Kingdom has quite a few shows. Is that something your family would like? Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo the Musical, Flights of Wonder (only if you like birds!!) and there is a daily parade. Also, Safari, usually a favorite, River Rapids, a water ride and Everest, a fast roller coaster. Also, if your son is into dinosaurs, there is the Dinosaur ride and the Boneyard, where they can "dig" for bones.

Hope this helps.

Happy Planning!!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't want to miss a thing

Star Wars weekends begin May 20th, which is when Star Tours II opens:

stitchkingdom.com/disney-news/…