We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 8

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 8

The big day is finally here!! I have wanted to take part in the Disney Marathon Weekend for so long and can’t believe I’m actually going to be doing the Disney Half Marathon today – I also can’t believe I’m up and it’s 2am – yes you did read that right, 2am!!! Got ready as quietly as I could as DD still asleep, DH had got up with me, he’s not so bad after all lol!! Got the bus at Pop at 3am and off to Epcot – I have to say everything, as always with Disney, was so well organised. Got chatting to a lovely lady on the bus which was great as there was a bit of a wait before the run was to start. After an hour or so I went through to another waiting area then it was off to your Corral – I had somehow been assigned Corral A, the 1st Corral, so I’m either better than I thought or it was a mistake, more than likely the latter!! Also, the half was to be run at the same time as soldiers in Iraq and got quite emotional when a runner was able to speak to her husband via satellite.

Ooooh, nearly time for the off, I threw away my purposefully bought cheap Primark jumper, thankfully it was quite a pleasant morning. Countdown…3, 2, 1 and we were off, accompanied by fireworks and fire cannons with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald cheering us on.

I loved every minute of it and it is definitely one of the best things I have ever done. Running through the MK was amazing and it did bring a tear to my eye when I ran through the castle, what a softie!! I had wanted to get a good time, or more to the point just finish and get any time, so I didn’t stop but lots of people did as there were loads of great photo opportunities. Lots of characters were out to support us – Pooh & co, Captain Jack Sparrow, Mickey and Minnie in their golf attire near to the Palm and Magnolia golf course, one of the penguins from Mary Poppins and Phineas and Ferb (who apparently haven’t been at the parks yet!) were to name but a few. There were bands, cheerleaders and hundreds of people cheering us on which I really appreciated especially at about mile 10! The atmosphere was brilliant and I’m so, so glad I did it.

So, after 2 hours and 19 minutes (which I was thrilled about) I crossed the finish line, I have never been so happy to see that Epcot ball!! I got my medal and hung it around my neck, very proud indeed! Back on the bus and back to Pop, still only about 9am! Managed to crawl slowly off the bus and back to our room.

Now, anyone sensible would have gone to bed or just chilled out but no not me we went shopping!!! Off to the Mall at Millennia for a bit a retail therapy and a meal at the Cheesecake Factory to celebrate. Old Navy, great for kids clothes. Unfortunately the wait for a table at the Cheesecake Factory was way to long for a baby to be patient so we headed back jus grabbing a quick bite to eat.

Went to Winter Summerland golf, played the summer course. DH got 3 hole’s in one, and yes he was unbearable!! I’m sure it was a fix!! Sweet Tomatoes for dinner, fast becoming a favourite of ours. Back to hotel and a well earned sleep. Big day for DH tomorrow!!

Leicester
Level Contributor
306 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 8

The marathon sounded fantastic, didn't know anything like this happened. Can appreciate why you were so emotional. Love reading trip reports of fellow travellers. We also love Sweet Tomatoes although when visiting on International Drive, we turned too soon and ended up going miles and miles out of our way as got on some motorway or other.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 8

Wow. Well done with your run. I would have had to stop to meet all those characters. Especially phineas and ferb. Lol

London, United...
Level Contributor
433 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 8

thank you for sharing your holiday, it sound like you are having a magical time, i do love reading what other people get up to in orlando.

thanks again and continue to enjoy your stay :))

Cheshire
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 8

Well done Disney23, what a proud moment, you did it !! You must be well fit ! I think you did very well running past Jack Sparrow, i'd have had to stop and make a grab for him hee hee. Look forward to seeing how DH got on :)

uk
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 8

I've really been enjoying your TR's. Well done on your marathon, what brilliant memories for you. Good luck for when your DH runs.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 8

Thank you so much everyone, it really was something to remember, though I want to do it again now, what a crazy person LOL!!

CheshireBurt, had it have been Johnny Depp, now that would have been a dfferent story ;-)

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Day 8

Well done you - what a fantastic and emotional experience.

Enjoying your trip reports too.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,327 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Day 8

I am enjoying yout TRs very much.

Congrats on your run, and I hope you get over the jet lag soon- I am a jet lag queen and can't sleep past 1:30-2;30 first night lol. I get to 7 am after a week-10 days lol.

Randalstown, United...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Day 8

Congratulations on running the marathon, its sounds like it was amazing. Good luck to DH for tomorrow!!

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
457 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Day 8

Thanks very much for the congrats guys xxx