We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another ESTA question

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Another ESTA question

We still have a valid ESTA from our last trip to US in 2009. ESTA website states it is valied until 29th August, 2011 and we arrive on 21st June this year. So i assume this is valid and there is no need for us to go through process for new ESTA, right? Do I need to update address details as we are not staying at same hotel as last time?

Also, we will be travelling with our adopted daughter who travels on a passport requiring a visa. Am I right in my thinking that she will not need an ESTA as this is for visa waiver countries only?

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Another ESTA question

No it won't still be valid. You need to apply again when you get your new passport.

Glasgow UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Another ESTA question

Is that because it's linked to your passport number? I wish the travel agent had told me that before I had applied.

I m glad I came accross this thread or I wouldn't have been aware of that fact

thanks

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,251 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Another ESTA question

Your ESTA is valid for arrival in the USA until its expiry - which is 2 years from approval, or expiry of the connected passport if sooner. Therefore, if your passport expires in May, your ESTA expires in May as well.

You were, however, RIGHT in applying straight away, for this reason: IF you had been refused, you would have had enough advance warning to apply for an entry visa and/or to cancel your trip with minimal loss.

I would always advise anyone who needs one, to apply for their ESTA as soon as (or before, ideally) they part with any non-refundable deposit, fare, etc.

And, for the benefit of anyone else in a similar position: you can apply for a renewal passport up to 9 months EARLY and have the residual validity added to your new passport (so, no loss). If your passport expiry is imminent, there is nothing to be gained by leaving the renewal until the last minute.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
14. Re: Another ESTA question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2012, 06:16