We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This darn dining plan

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, England
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
This darn dining plan

Just in the midst of trying to organise our dining plan, where to eat on which day that is near the park ww will be visiting etc.... anyroad to my questions: At Animal Kingdom, which restaurant would you recommend for dinner (evening meal), Yak & Yeti OR Tusker House, we have a 7yrs old who just loves to dine out?

Also Hollywood Studios day, any restaurants that are especially worth the visit for dinner?

Thanks.

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,754 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This darn dining plan

Personally I don't think any of the AK restaurants are great for dinner. I would pop over to AKL to Boma, great buffet loads of choices and very popular. Or head over to DTD loads of great restaurants there.

DHS,50's Prime Time is fun.

manchester
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This darn dining plan

I am also not keen on the restaurants in AK for dinner, Boma at AKL is much nicer if you are staying in that area,ot you could take a bus to one of the other resorts or DTD

We had a meal at 50s Prime Time & whilst the food was good , not particularly keen on some of the humour included in the experience, my neice was not happy about green beans on a fork being made into a plane when she was 16

I haven't not eaten anywhere else in DHS though we normally go elsewhere, you could walk over or take the boat to one to one of the nearby resorts

england
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This darn dining plan

As the others have suggested, enjoy the day at Animal Kingdom and head over to Boma, really much better than any of the restaurants in AK.

As for your day at Hollywood Studios, I would also advise you to jump on the boat to the Beach Club and try the Cape Mays buffet, it is really lovely.

Better choice than any at HS.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: This darn dining plan

We love Yak & Yeti, at Animal Kingdom. We dine there, on every trip. Perfect for dinner!

If you haven't booked it already, Tusker House has Donald's Safari Breakfast, which is fabulous; great buffet, quality time with the characters, fun parade with African instruments.

Hit one or two of the big rides, at rope drop, and book a late breakfast at Tusker House. Then book the latest ADR, at Yak & Yeti. You'll have two great meals and not waste park time, going to AKL. Unlike others, we think Boma is OK, but not worth an extra trip to the lodge.

We enjoy the food and atmosphere at 50's Prime Time. Brown Derby has some of the finest food, at Disney.

Edited: 06 February 2011, 13:23
UK
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This darn dining plan

I have just booked my ADR;s as we arrive at Disney August 5th (yay).

I have eaten at Sci Fi diner, Hollywood and Vine, 50's Prime Time and the Brown Derby.

The Brown Derby (IMHO) is not worth 2 credits. Hollywood and Vine was ok but just a basic buffet. 50's prime Time is the sort of place that is best enjoyed as part of a group and if you know that you will get told off, have to say hello to 'all your cousins' and will be made to do your chores.

The sci fi is the best option for the theme but the menu is just ok and the best choices are ribs or steak.

I would also recommend coming out of animal kingdom and going to Boma.

Let us know what you decide.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: This darn dining plan

I agree with the above posts on exiting AK and dining at Boma. You can view the animals on the Savannah from the hotel before or after dinner. And exiting DHS and eating at Cape May Buffet.

I am not a Buffet person at all, but would happy to eat at either of these.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
766 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: This darn dining plan

I agree Boma for dinner, it is a great meal and AKL is beautiful - there is so much to see!

We really enjoyed the 50's Prime Time Cafe at HS. Very entertaining and dessert was sooo delicious.

Happy planning!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: This darn dining plan

I really like the Hollywood Brown Derby, but I also have to say that I don't know why it takes 2 donner credits because it doesn't cost any more than the Cape May Cafe at Beach Club, which is a good idea that was previously mentioned. Another nice place in HS is Mama Melrose's. I am not a fan of 50's Prime Time as it is cramped, the food is nothing special, and your dinner can be ruined if the person playing your Mom (Mom can be a guy by the way) is a jerk. The Sci-Fi is fun, but you won't get a particularly memorable meal as far as food. Hollywood and Vine is not very memorable either.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: This darn dining plan

AK Yak N Yeti is your best bet, but I agree with others.. Head over to Boma. Very good!

Studios RUN! The only place halfway decent is PrimeTime. If you don't want to do that, go someplace else. The rest of that stuff is just ....barely edible. (Prime Time is a little strange, they claim it's like Mother use to make...well if your mother was combining 50's American cooking with 90's "attempt to be gourmet" that might be what she made!)

aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: This darn dining plan

HS Studios is the worst for dining. We ate at the 50's Primetime diner, not only was the atmosphere weird the food was pretty bad. If we're stuck there for a meal, we just eat some counter service fast food at the place just past Toy Mania, think it's called the backlot express. Last time we park hopped over to Epcot for dinner.