We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with US Airways ... Bit Worried!

Cork
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Flying with US Airways ... Bit Worried!

Booked our flights from Dub - MCO via CLT, then we take an internal flight MCO - CLT for our last week with a direct flight back CLT-DUB.

Having checked many reviews about US Airways, the majority is quite negative and this has alarm bells ringing for me ;(

Many passengers complain over allocation of seats - not being seated together - reports of children separated from parents etc.,

Other complaints would be lack of in flight entertainment and general low standard in both aircrafts & cabin crew.

As we are travelling with our two children, one 15 but a 12yr old with Autism (moderate), I am quite anxious about how this will work for us.

We booked via a tour operator - not direct with US Airways but it has been confirmed that the carrier is US Airways.

Can anybody re-assure me that it is not as bad as it seems (see skytrax for reviews)

Much appreciated...

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying with US Airways ... Bit Worried!

We have flown with US Aiways many times, they are OK. The food is the usual rubbish, the IFE is not very good but we have never experienced delays with them and the crew have always been pleasant enough. Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but I have never had a transatlantic flight in economy that serves decent food or is very comfortable in over 30 years:) As long as we arrive in one piece and aren't delayed too much that'll do for me.

With regards to your sons condition I'm sure if you explain to your travel agent they can contact US Airways and explain. Also mention it at check in at the airport. I'm sure they will seat you together. Again I don't care if I sit with my OH or nor because as soon as the plane starts taxiing down the runway he's asleep, so I may as well be on my own anyway .. lol ...

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying with US Airways ... Bit Worried!

Relax. US Air is fine. I've flown them several times, and will be flying with them to Orlando in a few days.

I would recommend calling US Air customer service in advance to explain your son's situation and see if they can give you seat assignments together. (When my elderly father had difficulty walking or needed a wheelchair, they repeatedly came through beautifully to take care of him and get him on and off the plane, and through the airport to his connecting flight.)

The problems you report sound like things that might happen when you book through a tour operator and don't get seat assignments in advance. It's worth calling to see if you can get seat assignments - you might even ask at the gate to see if they'll let you board early, if that helps your son.

Doncaster, S Yorks
Level Contributor
10,270 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying with US Airways ... Bit Worried!

I know the feeling well. Maybe thats the only bit of peace he his going to get for 2 weeks???

Michigan
Level Contributor
905 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying with US Airways ... Bit Worried!

If you can't get desirable seat assignments, all is not lost. You'd be surprised at how nice your fellow passengers can be about moving around to help you sit together. Don't be afraid to ask!

Hopefully it won't come to that, though.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying with US Airways ... Bit Worried!

We too are flying with us airways but have booked direct with them. I have gone into the seating plan on line and booked our seats together,fingers crossed we get them.

mel

Cork
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying with US Airways ... Bit Worried!

Thank you all for your prompt replies! Our son is quite used to flying as we travel to Lanzarote quite alot, however, this is less than a 4 hr flight, this shall be his first long haul flight!

As with most children he is always excited on outward journey and like most passengers not so happy on return flight!!

Obviously, I shall be prepared with his Nintendo & Portable DVD player, also, plenty of snacks as he is quite selective when it comes to foods..

The aircraft used for this route is a Boeing 747 (I think!) with 3 and 3 seating.

I will certainly take the advice of contacting the customer services pre travelling and hopefully they will accommodate us.

Portarlington...
Level Contributor
528 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying with US Airways ... Bit Worried!

Hi MrsMotty,

Just to say that on US Airways web site the plane from Dub-CLT is Boeing 757-200. You can check out this site for info on seating ------------

seatguru.com/airlines/…information.php

I am unable to find out from the website about entertainment on the route but here is the link on baggage / children.

…usairways.com/en-EU/…default.html

Have a great holiday.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying with US Airways ... Bit Worried!

I am flying transatlantic with them in August with my OH + 2 young kids. The moment I booked I had the seats I requested reserved for all the flights. No issues.

Cork
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying with US Airways ... Bit Worried!

Thank you all once again... I feel some bit relieved ! As advised, I will make contact with Customer Service, be well prepared - going to take ear protectors also to drown out noises especially small toddlers crying - a major sensory to that - who doesn't ?!!! lol !!

Hopefully, the journey home will involve some sleep !!!

glasgow
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying with US Airways ... Bit Worried!

I flew with them last year London to Philly, great films, free food and drinks, staff were all lovely. We booked through a travel agent but still called them direct to book the seats.

There second flight was similar to ryanair, no entertainment or snacks, but by then we were all sleepy anyway.