We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Wizarding World of Harry Potter

A friend of mine asked about WWOHP, as she liked the books and is going to Florida later this year. I know it was insanely busy the first few weeks it was open, and that it has been very busy ever since as Universal reported a mammoth attendance increase last year. Here are questions for which she needs help from anyone who has been there recently:

1. How long is the wait to get into WWOHP, as well as the wait on the rides? Is there still a wait just to get into the gift shops?

2. I know some hotels in the Universal area have been advertising early hours at WWOHP. How much earlier can you get in than a regular patron, and is it that much of a help (i.e., is it still mobbed by those taking advantage of the extra hours)?

3. How much time should someone budget for visiting the rides, shops, and restaurants at WWOHP? Could someone kill a whole day there, or is it more of a half-day attraction?

pa
Level Contributor
53,803 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter

1. we where there on opening day, wait time just to get near the area was 8 HOURS ( what were we thinking lol) Went again in October, arrived at opening, 9am, just about walked right on to Forbidden Journey and Dragon Challange, Lovely. Shops were still a bit crowded but could be explored with half an hour wait to get in

2. One hour before regular guests

3. Depending on how early they get into the Area, 2 hours to see and do it all should be enough ( assuming "later in the year" doesn't mean Summer Months, more time may be needed this Summer

PS be sure to explain it isn't an enitre Park, just a small area within Islands of Adventure

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
455 posts
542 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter

We went there on Sunday Feb. 27th, so each day and time period bring different crowds. Here is what we found:

1-we got into line at the front of IOA about 8:40 am for a 9 am opening. We walked back to WWOHP (did not run). My husband and 10 year old got on the dragon ride which had a 10 min ride at the beginning of the day.

2 It was walkable around the area, not terribly crowded.

3 my younger daughter and I leisurely looked at the scenery for about 10 mins then got into line for Olivander's. The line for Olivaner's wand shop was about 30 min line. My husband and older daughter joined us in the line as it was outside and easy to join your party.

4 We then rode Hippogriff ride, 5 min. line

5 We then got into line for the main Castle ride (forget what the exact name is) The sign said 70 mins. By the time you found a locker and figured out which line to get into, we waited for about 70 mins.

6 We spent the rest of the day as IOA and had shorter lines with the exception of Spider Man that line was about 40 mins.

7 after we did all of IOA, we went back to Harry Potter, we walked on Hippogriff, The Dragon ride and the Harry Potter main ride was about 10 mins.

8 I would suggest to do IOA first then go to Harry Potter later in the day, around 3:00-4:00 there were short line so we rode all the lines again.

Yes IOA is a short day we did the rides multiple times and stayed from 9 am to 5 pm.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
11,261 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Just want to point out that this is the first "Spring Break" period, that Harry Potter is open. Universal (and Disney) is expecting HUGE crowds, in the next 8 weeks. Plan accordingly.

Edited: 02 March 2011, 14:11
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses so far.

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Is this a new thing if you are staying at a Universal Hotel that you can get in an hour before other guests? Im sure we couldnt when we stayed onsite over a year ago.

My tip would be to use the left hand line which is much shorter as the right hand lane is for the lockers and then the ride.

Caz Essex x

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter

caz - As I have not been to Hary Potter, to which of the rides are you referring, or is that advice applicable to all rides?

pa
Level Contributor
53,803 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter

I am assuming caz means for the Forbidden Journey ( the main attraction after walking thru the Castle ) it can be a tad crazy when you get to the point of people needing the Lockers. Best bet is to hand off your Stuff to someone that isn't riding and have them hold it for you, if you have a non rider with you and not bother with the Lockers ( that drives me crazy at several, well almost all, the rides at Universal Parks )

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter

At xmas time we didnt have early entry and were some of the first into WWOHP when it opened and it was already very busy, 2 hrs for Olivanders, 90 mins for Forbidden journey, 30 mins for the gift shops, 1 hr for hippogriff and Dragon Challenge. It also got busier throughout the days one afternoon there was a 2 hr que to get in and on another day they were issuing return times approx 4-5 hrs later - again just to get in that section of th park. Hope this helps as very different experience to some x

Pleasant View...
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter

We had virtually the same experience as Webtraveler when we went early December. Everyone made a beeline for WWOHP at opening, and it was incredibly crowded (although there was no wait to actually get INTO the area.) Went straight to Olivander's, 30 minute wait, then Forbidden Journey, a good long wait, which is great, because the details inside the castle were much better to me than the ride.

Shops were crazy crowded - difficult to walk through. But when we returned in the afternoon, crowds had died down significantly. Husband walked right onto the castle ride(no Forbidden Journey for me ever again!) Olivander's still had a 30 minute wait. But I was finally able to browse the shops, even though they were still quite crowded.

The problem with WWOHP is that the whole thing is just waaaaaaaay too small. They need to AT LEAST double the size of the entire area and every shop. And they should also add more shops, as most of them are merely fronts.

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Yes sorry meant the Forbidden Journey.Whats Olivanders?

Caz Essex x