We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Disney April 17th-24th -How is Orlando Airport?

Boston...
Level Contributor
951 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Disney April 17th-24th -How is Orlando Airport?

I am going to Disney April 17th -24th to see the last shuttle launch and spend time in Disney. I'm staying off property, but real close in Silver Lake Resort by Silver Lake. Right across from Animal Kingdom. My flight (we used air miles and all they had was) from Boston to Miami and then Miami to Orlando. The flight gets into Miami around 11:25 and the next flight leaves around 12:10 and gets in at 1:10 pm - in Orlando. Going back the flight doesn't leave until 7:10pm from Miami to Boston...I get back to Boston around 10:30 pm .

What I am wondering is How crazy is the Orlando Airport on Vacation week? Would it be mobbed on the days I am going? I went in May once in 2008 and it took me literally an hour- to turn the rental car in and then an hour at the ticket line and then the line was crazy at the security check and I almost missed my jetblue flight if it wasn't for a helpful jetblue employee who let me through the employee line.

I am wondering how early would I have to arrive at the airport ---coming back....(its a Sunday) both arriving and coming back.

I am also wondering would it be better if I say forgot about the second flight from Miami to Orlando and just rent my car in Miami and drive say the back way up by Lake Okachobee to Yeehaw Junction into Kissimee... I mean I drove it in about 2-3 hours from Ft Lauderdale....... so I assume Miami would be 3-4 hours??

If you add in the rental car time mob scene @ orlando airport, and the time waiting for the flight from Miami to Orlando and the flight time and such wouldn't it be about even??? but probably less hassle @ Miami to rent a car and return the car later in the week???

I have heard Orlando airport is crazy on Vacation week

Thanks for any tips

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Disney April 17th-24th -How is Orlando Airport?

Orlando will be busy, but Miami will be also. You will have to wait on line in Orlando, but waiting in line there will be less time that waiting in line in Miami and then driving. If you know it will take an hour to return the car and an hour to get through security, then go two hours early--that will still be less time then the four hours to drive to Miami and wait in line to return the car there and then wait in line at security in Miami.

2. Re: Going to Disney April 17th-24th -How is Orlando Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 01:16