We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Orlando on my own!!!!

UK
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Orlando on my own!!!!

Hi

I am thinking about going myself to Orlando, just been on looking at flight prices, (might treat myself to go away for my birthday), I was thinking about shopping and doing a couple of parks (probably seaworld and one of the disney ones). Have been many times with family so should be able to work my way about.

I am looking forward to do what I want when I want and not have to think about what anybody else wants to do. I will be hiring a car which is a but daunting as never driven in the US before, but im sure I will get used to it.

I have been readying previous posts about solo travellers and I feel a bit nervious about it but excited at the same time, can anybody who has taken the trip on their own please let me know your thoughts. What would you do differently?

xx

pa
Level Contributor
54,317 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Orlando on my own!!!!

I think that's a great idea, a very fun Birthday treat for yourself :)

I have gone solo, last time was this past October, had a wonderful time doing what I pleased and relaxing. I do stay at Disney Resorts tho, I don't like to drive/rent a car while on Holiday and staying there is very safe and comfy, it's what I like. I plan to do it again, after a few more trips with the Family, I'll need to :)

Randalstown, United...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Orlando on my own!!!!

Im glad to see that people do go alone, may be faced with this situation myself. OH's mother is quite ill and theres a possibility he may not be able to travel. I will have to go ahead with DD's 11 and 2. quite a scarey prospect as have never been before. hopefully things will work out ok!!

Pompey
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Orlando on my own!!!!

I've been solo the last 4/5 Mays, 2 of us this year staying at the QII again.

It is great not having to worry about what others want to do. You can get up at the Crack of Dawn or be as lazy as hell. First time I went solo it was a bit daunting but after a day or so I was more than comfortable so I'm more than happy to return solo.

I hate shopping in the UK, so I don't, but I tend to do a big shop over there. usually go 3 or 4 times, I use the I-Trolley so don't want to be lugging too much around or spend too much time any one day shopping. I've yet to take more than 9kg checked luggage but always need to shift things about so I don't exceed 23kg coming back. ;-)

Doing the parks is so much simpler on your own, as you've been before you'll have a rough idea of what you want to see/do and can just go for it at your own pace.

You'll need to check out where you want to stay, going solo you need to feel safe. As I've said I stay at the Quality Inn International, it's grounds are fenced in and has 2 entrances with 24hr security. Most other hotels on I-Drive AFAIK are open on all sides so less secure. The Disney hotels are by all accounts are good on the security side too, (but may be a bit of a trek if you want to go 'off Site', I'm sure someone who stays more at Disney can help with that).

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Orlando on my own!!!!

I'm here on my own at the moment. I'm just loving the opportunity to please myself and no-one else for a couple of weeks. No theme parks for me, though (and no car, either!)

Edited: 04 March 2011, 12:02
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
15,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Orlando on my own!!!!

I'm also here alone till tonight :-) I got here yesterday afternoon and went over to Universal Studios just so that I could ride all of the things that I can't when I'm with hubby and our daughter, both of whom suffer badly from motion sickness.

My recommendation would be to maybe bring something to read when you sit down for meals. That helps me with the lonely feeling I get when I'm solo at a table. I usually write in my little travel journal.

Also make sure to use the Single Rider lines whenever you can. It can save you a ton of time in line.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Orlando on my own!!!!

I spent a week on a solo trip in January '10 and enjoyed it so much that I'm thinking of going again. I'm not much interested in the Orlando attractions outside WDW or shopping, so even though I drove, I parked my car and didn't move it until I left. I stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, went to the parks early, and returned to the hotel mid-afternoon and sat on my balcony to watch the animals. The AKL has 3 great full-service restaurants, which I enjoyed for 3 nights; the other days, I had my main meal at lunch either at Epcot or at Downtown Disney (and once at the adult afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian). I spent one day just touring the various WDW hotels (didn't have time to see them all). I'd tried to get someone else to go with me, but once I was there, I was glad not to have to accommodate someone else's agenda. All of my previous visits to WDW had been with family or friends; this one was definitely the most relaxing and almost totally stress-free.

UK
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Orlando on my own!!!!

Thank you for your encouraging thoughts!!

I feel allot better about going on my own.

Better get planning what I want to do.

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,952 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Orlando on my own!!!!

Go for it..I so miss my solo trip!

Pleasant View...
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Orlando on my own!!!!

I have a good friend at work who is going next week with her boyfriend, but he's going for a conference and will be tied up most days. She's nervous about doing the parks on her own, but I told her about how some of y'all have done it and loved it. Kinda anxious to hear how it actually goes, though, coz it'll be her first time there.

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
637 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Orlando on my own!!!!

GO FOR IT!!! No better way to travel, nobody to answer to but yourself!! I went last May on a solo trip and already have dates book for this upcoming May.