We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

miami day trip

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
miami day trip

hi,we are going to Orlando in July (2ads 3kids) and are thinking of doing a day trip to Miami leaving early morning.What are the best things to do given the short time?

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: miami day trip

The Miami you see on TV is usually about the South Beach section of Miami Beach. Otherwise it is just one large spread out crowded city. Many visitors like the Coral Gables section and the Cuban influence esp. about the food. Look for a road called Calle Ocho.

Expect a lot of traffic.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: miami day trip

I think a"'day trip" to Miami is bad idea,especially with children. It is , at a minimum ,a four -five hour car ride each way- and a boring one with nothing really to see along the way. I don't think it's worth it- stay in the Orlando area unless you can at least spend an overnight- maybe take the family to Cocoa Beach or somewhere similar for a beach day- it is only about an hour in the car from Orlando.

Leicester
Level Contributor
306 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: miami day trip

Not sure I would recommend going to Miami either for the day. We visited the place but stayed one night in a hotel. Its too far to travel in one day, you will be tired and the children will be saying "are we nearly there".

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
20,103 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: miami day trip

Unless you plan to stay overnight,this isn't a great idea-its a 5 hour trip each way so what you would mostly see is the highway

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,304 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: miami day trip

I would agree with the other posters, not a good idea to drive with two children all the way to Miami just for the day. It will be a long and boring drive and the traffic in Miami can be horrendous. You could think about going to Clearwater Beach for the day (if it is a beach you are after) and that would only take 2 hrs (probably less) each way.

Edited: 06 March 2011, 10:26
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,997 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: miami day trip

I completely agree with the above posters. If you want to 'do' Miami, spend a night at least. It is too far to drive to really experience anything in the few hours you would be there- and parking the car will cost as much as lunch..

Otherwise, you can visit a beach city ie Clearwater for the day- just around 2 hours drive or Sarasota.

Kelso, United...
Level Contributor
17,369 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: miami day trip

Unless you plan to have an overnight stay, with 3 kids I would say forget it nothing much for kids to do in Miami anyway and there are beaches within easy reach of Orlando if that is all you are looking for.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: miami day trip

great to get feedback as we are thinking of visiting Miami for a day,maybe two days now,but by coach.Any companies that are recommended please?

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,088 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: miami day trip

Red Coach http://redcoachusa.com/ is one possibility and Gray Line is another http://www.grayline.com/Orlando/View_All

10. Re: miami day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 17:15