We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa question

London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
visa question

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm from England and at the beginning of the year I booked a holiday with a friend to travel around America this summer. However, unfortunately a few weeks ago I was arrested on a night out for common assault (I got provoked by someone and spat towards them). It resulted in me being placed in a cell for the night and I was given a police caution. However, I've scoured the internet to try and find any information about how it will effect my holiday and haven't really had much luck. I've read comments on people saying to just apply for an ESTA and answer "no" to everything (which would be telling the truth as it wasn't a crime of moral terpitude), yet, I am also thinking for some extra piece of mind that I should apply for a B-2 visa. I was wondering if anyone had any actual experience of this and could help? I'm grateful for any response. Thanks, JD.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
508 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa question

I've not had any experience myself but this info is from the USA Embassy (London) website:

Applying for the Visa

Please review the following FOUR STEPS below before beginning your visa application.

Step 1: If you have ever arrested and/or have a criminal conviction, have a medical ineligibility, or have been denied entry into or deported from the United States you will be required to furnish documents relating to your situation in support of your application. Please click on the relevant links for further information.

http://london.usembassy.gov/b2.html

Personally i wouldn't withhold any information regarding this from US Immigration. You risk being refused entry if they were to find out that you've applied deception whilst trying to obtain entry to the USA.

HTH

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visa question

If the crime wasn't one of moral turpitude (and I would NOT claim to be able to define exactly what that means) then the truthful answer to the relevant ESTA question is, indeed, "no".

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: visa question

Thanks for the help guys, but I was just wondering if there was anyone else who had been in the same boat as me? I would be grateful to hear from anyone. Thanks, JD.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa question

We as a family have been to Florida 6 times. My husband has a criminal record from 20yrs ago so he has always gone to London to the Embassy to apply for a visa, he has a long list of convictions from his teenage years,nothing serious, but he couldnt take a chance as someone who i used to work with got refused entry as they had a criminal record and no visa. The trip to the Embassy is a bit of a nightmare as you have to be there at 9am, when you live on Derbyshire its easier to have a night in a cheap hotel, there will be a lot of people waiting and you could be in there for anything from 2 to 5hrs. It dosnt come cheap (around $100) you also have to pay for your passport to be sent there and back by courier service. It took them around 5wks to decied if he could have a visa or not. My husband was granted one for 1yr. The worst part is when you get over there they take you straight away to a room and question you for around 20mins, the choice is yours as to weather you apply for one or not. It is just a lot of extra money and hassle

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visa question

Just to add to the above, it gives my husband peace of mind knowing that he is above board and being truthful. He his now on his 4th visa and he wouldnt have it any other way. Hope this helps you make your mind up.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visa question

Reading this thread has got me thinking a bit.

21 years ago I witnessed a grown man attacking a 14 year old boy in the street. I went to the aid of this boy and subsequently got charged and convicted of assault. I was only about 16 or 17 at the time and although I escaped jail I did do a bit of weekend junior jail as call it now lol.

Would this come up on my entry into the usa when we come in august? Or will the esta suffice if I fill that in?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visa question

It will be on your police check as my husbands was, they now show ALL your convictions no matter how long ago it was, he had convictions on from the 70s. It all depends on if you want to risk it, we have no way of knowing if Homeland Security have acesses to this information, they cant check everyone that goes through, it just a risk that some people take. Hope this helps

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visa question

If you give all your advance passenger information and passport number before you travel as I have done, will they then get in touch if potentially I might have difficulty in entering the usa?

Seems a bit strong as half of the uk would not be able to go if it was down to a few bits of nothingness years ago.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,213 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visa question

Get yourself a criminal records check.

will cost you (10 quid maybe? dont' know as I don't have one). If it shows up anything you need a visa, if it doesnt- still unclear. Will doeend on moral turpetude, and age. I remain unconvinced that any underage conviction turns up. but as I said, I ahven't got any so check.

Did you, after booking your holiday actually get your esta then? As well all suggest alomist daily? Or did you wait? If you have avalid Esta, you should be able to proceed, as all answers you made were true at the time. Lots like to wait, but as your exapmle shows, it doens't pay to wait. If you had done it when you booked but befre the arrest you would have been within rules.

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: visa question

Thanks for your help. I started the ball rolling on the Visa 2 days ago by applying for a police certificate (£35) as it states on the embassy's website. As soon as I get this back I will then apply for a meeting at the embassy. Unfortunately I've only been in trouble once, albeit a few weeks ago with this police caution and I really hope it doesn't stop me from travelling to the states. JD