We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When you booked your first trip

dublin
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
When you booked your first trip

I wanted to go to orlando for years,knew friends that had gone and was so envious,but as a widow with three kids ,i never thought it was possible,then a friend convinced me that i could,so in 04 i headed off with two of my kids,(daughter was in college and work by then)for our once in a lifetime holiday.

Really thought it was a one off,was going through the other daughters(aisling1989)passport today,and when we go this year she will have FIVE visas for orlando in her current passport,who else thought ok we will go ONCE

and how many times have you gone and still not done everything you had on list.

i am definitely going to cheesecake factory this year,cant believe i havent done it yet,another must do for this year is swamp ride,havent done that either

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: When you booked your first trip

It sounds like this daughter of yours is spoiled

scotland
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When you booked your first trip

Hey!!! As a child i always wanted to go to floridq but wasnt lucky enough to do so!!

Funily enough 2004 was my first time going with my husband and three kids aged 1. 3. And 5!! It was a total fluke tho as i wasnt planning to go til the kids were older but was reeled in with an offer to good to miss in the travel agents window!(1700 flying virgin)

This trip will be my third and i dont take it for granted! Every day i tell my children how lucky they are as i dont know many 8 year olds that have been to florida three times amongst other countries!

Like you i am really looking forward to doing things i havent done before like the cheesecake factory busch gardens aquatica and dont shoot me but i have never been to down town disney(sigh!)

X

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When you booked your first trip

Hope she appreciates how lucky she is!! We like to keep it special by not going too often - every 5 years is enough for us - but have done California a couple of times in between as well - I like going back places I like - busch gardens and San Francisco - not on same trip, but I also like going to new places so taking our fussy eater who likes pizza and pasta to Italy this year!! Oh and she likes ice cream too - should have a good time!!

Ps - took our kids for the 1st time in 2005 - almost 4 and 23 mths - think we were about £1600 as well - and direct flight from newcastle. Knew if we didn't do it then when dd was free it would be a lot more the next time - last summer for 3 weeks - yep it was a lot more!!

Lou73

Edited: 14 March 2011, 22:28
dublin
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When you booked your first trip

Iheartorlando...we only did DTD on third trip,so much to do,but now i cannot believe i didnt do it,having said that i was staying in homewood suites on i drive and no car,so relied on shuttles a lot,love strolling around DTD in evening,love ghiradelli,earl of sandwich,raglan road,and daughter loves t rex and rainforest.

Lou ...first time i was on a plane i was 24,and it was a trip to london,hope my daughter appreciates all the countries she has seen

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When you booked your first trip

First time was 1981, never thought we'd be back but fell in love with America, didn't go back to Florida until 1986 but did a few other States in between. Love Disney but also love to see other places in the US & Canada. Don't know how many times we've been to Disney, lost count years ago:) We still go most years but do try to visit other places too. We are very lucky that we can travel out of season, which keeps costs down a bit. If it wasn't for Disney we probably wouldn't return to Florida.

Matlock, United...
Level Contributor
538 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When you booked your first trip

I too thought my first trip would be my once in a life time deal. Ha thank goodness I was wrong!

My first time was back in 1999 for my honeymoon, we could only afford 1 week back then so didn't get to do alot.

My obsession started I guess when my son was 5 in 2007 and we took him to Disneyland Paris. The following year (2008) we took him to Orlando aged 6. Again that was going to be HIS once in a lifetime deal.

Our next trip to Orlando was a result of tradgedy :( . In 2010 my mother passed away after a 10 year battle with a brain tumor, I was only 33 at the time and in my opinion was too young to loose my precious mother, I didn't cope very well but my husband bless his heart had a plan. Knowing how much I love Orlando and what a special place it holds in my heart he booked an impromptue trip for the three of us and boy did it work! It brought me out of the devastating sadness I was feeling, I love him so for doing that for me, a very expensive form of therapy lol.

Guess what we are going back this year in May this time under hppier circumstances I'm glad to say. So this will be my 4th trip and my sons 3rd trip and he is still only 9 (lucky chap) but hey I don't care if people think I spoil him with this type of luxury, life is precious and should be grabbed with both hands so enjoy everything you can while you have the chance is my motto.

Thanks for listening guys, that was kind of cathartic xxxxxx

scotland
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: When you booked your first trip

I totally agree waxilicious. This life is not a dress rehersal!!!! I know a few ppl who died suddenly who never fulfilled their dreams!

dublin
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When you booked your first trip

WAXY...so sorry to hear your lost your mum so young,you have right attitude,life is way too short,i will never have a fortune in bank for rainy day,or leave my kids money to fight over..lol

so what if kids are a bit spoilt,nicer to build memories and what better place to do that than orlando.

oby
Nr Edinburgh
Level Contributor
141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When you booked your first trip

First went in 2001 at the suggestion of my parents who had already taken my son for a week in 1999. We all went, hubby was really reluctant. This year we will be returning for the 8th time (son's 9th) and I don't regret we've been so often.

This may be our final family holiday as my son will be spreading his wings next year (so he says). Every year has been special for a different reason and each brought its own magic.

As with everything each to their own.

Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When you booked your first trip

Hi,

This will be my fourth time and certainly not my last:) I will take a break though and I'm thinking of Las Vegas and Aneihem for the next big trip in two years time.

We have to change our travel plans as eldest going into secondary school so we will no longer be able to take her out. I love going late April / early May and will have to go in June for the next few years.