We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SWAN, Peabody, or Dolphin Hotel?

Which Orlando hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
990 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
SWAN, Peabody, or Dolphin Hotel?

Some friends witheir fmilies will be visiting Orlando this summer.

They have younger kids under 10 years old.

Their choices are either the Swan hotel or the Peabody, or the Dolphin Hotel.

They will be doing Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Epcot, of course.

By order of best hotel to choose from and why/why not, how would you range: The Dolphin, the Swan, or the Peabody in terms of most kids-friendly, closest to area theme parks mentioned, and most upscale with excellent service?

Please add other criteria as needed to expand on your rankings.

Price is not an issue.

Many thanks and looking forward to your feedback and suggestions.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SWAN, Peabody, or Dolphin Hotel?

The Swan and Dolphin Trump the Peabody on all counts, with the Swan in the lead,

The S and D are walking and boat distance to 2 of your theme parks, Epcot and DHS. If you stay there, you also get Extra Magic hours for all the dusney parks. The Swan has Queen size beds and a balcony so pips the Dolphin. The Dolphin has a better pool but guests of both hotels can share facilities. Good restaurants and you can walk to the Boardwalk int he evenings and watch the buskers perform.

dublin
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SWAN, Peabody, or Dolphin Hotel?

Dolphin for me,have not been in rooms in swan,but have been in lobby etc,dolphin lobby has that real WOW factor,shops,nice cafe that does a fabulous sharing icercream.

Play room/creche of some sort,down near spa.

as said you get to use pools if staying in swan,pools are great,and food in cabana islovely.

Breakfast in dolphin was fabulous also.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SWAN, Peabody, or Dolphin Hotel?

I vote with amanx for the Swan, and for the reasons cited. The Swan has queen beds, while the Dolphin does not, and that clinches it for me. Also, I think the layout of the Dolphin common areas is very confusing, whereas the Swan common areas are straightforward. The Swan is shorter and smaller, so that should translate into less waiting time and riding time on elevators. I have stayed at the Swan twice, and it is very convenient to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, as noted by amanx. It is also right across the street from Fantasia Gardens mini golf. The Peabody is an also-ran to me (although I would like to see the ducks sometime) because it is off-site and does not have the extra magic hours.

Edited: 30 March 2011, 17:33
Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SWAN, Peabody, or Dolphin Hotel?

Definately the Swan & Dolphin, the kids will love the 5 pools and you will all enjoy the 17 world class restaurants & lounges. All facilities are shared so you can eat at the Dolphin and charge back to your room account at the Swan and vice versa. You will love this property!!

pa
Level Contributor
53,725 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SWAN, Peabody, or Dolphin Hotel?

Wondering

If price isn't an issue and they plan to visit Disney World Parks, why only 3 Non Disney Resorts are the only options. It will be very crowded in the summer and Being a Disney Resort Guest would have extra Perks that may come in Handy. Just a thought

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SWAN, Peabody, or Dolphin Hotel?

The Peabody expanded recently (it's enormous), but it is largely an (excellent) convention and meeting hotel, supplementing and supporting the vast Orange County Convention Center across the road, which until recently was set to become a high speed rail station. If you have business, it's fine. Otherwise, Swam and Dolphin have very interesting locations adjacent to Epcot (complete with a low-key "back door" entrance to the theme park.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SWAN, Peabody, or Dolphin Hotel?

If I had to choose between those three, I would choose either the Swan or Dolphin for reasons already cited. Note that I've never stayed at any of them.

If cost isn't an issue as you state, I would actually go with one of the Disney Deluxe Resort hotels, especially since it seems (from what you said) that they're only doing Disney. Most likely (again, cost not being an issue) I would stay Main Building at the Grand Floridian. Or maybe Bake Lake Tower at Contemporary.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
677 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SWAN, Peabody, or Dolphin Hotel?

Another consideration about the Peabody is if there is an event at the convention center, the hotel will be packed with conventioneers. You should be able to check schedule on the Orlando Convention Center web site. For the largest events at the OCC, traffic is heavy during exhibition hours.

There are acceptable restaurants in the vicinity of the Peabody, but none are walking distance.

Peabody is about 20 minutes with no traffic from the parks. You will pay to park at Disney each day.

Unless there is a significant price advantage to staying at the Peabody, I wouldn't even consider.

As Zife indicates the Disney owned properties can include discounted ticket packages, access to disney transportation, eliminate parking expenses, and you can compare the meal packages to your budget.

Be sure and shop total expense.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,831 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SWAN, Peabody, or Dolphin Hotel?

In the interests of truthfulness, I have stayed at the Swan and eaten at the Dolphin. But am allied with neither.

I do feel the Disney Deluxe hotels can offer a good service, and ahve stayed at Beach Club. But did not mention in my replies as I was asked about 3 other hotels.

As a matter of note, like the peabody, the S and D are convention hotels so wil have more adults perhaps than other hotels nearby. But are very child friendly.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SWAN, Peabody, or Dolphin Hotel?

Following up on the post by amanx, I have stayed at the Beach Club and the Yacht Club, in addition to the Swan, and all three hotels are in the same area between Epcot and Hollywood Studios. I prefer the Beach Club over the Swan, but not by much, and I too was only addressing the three choices presented. Particularly since Disney doesn't generally do much discounting in the summer, the Swan might be somewhat less price-wise. I would note that the Swan and the Dolphin have a separate daily parking charge while the Disney resorts don't charge for parking. Also, you can't get free airport transportation to the Swan and Dolphin like you can at the Disney resorts.